Safety harnesses.

Good morning all.

My dad, and I both are in the market for a safety harness/system.  

I would appreciate any recommendations you have, or tips on what to stay away from, etc.  

I believe you get, what you pay for in most cases, so regardless of price, please share.  

I typically hunt out of either a 2 person ladder, or climber, if that is necessary info....

I would like a vest type that is simple to take on/off. 

I did scroll through topics in this section, until August of 2016....

Thanks

Not going to lie.  I hate harnesses.  So I bought 3 of these and they make it very easy to hook up since I have to wear it as part of the bibs.  Not for everyone since its integrated in the bibs but for those of us that like to avoid harnesses (I know I shouldn't), it kinda makes it mandatory.

https://www.amazon.com/TREE-SPIDER-Ripstop-SpiderWeb-Hunting/dp/B00D1Q68RE

Actually, these are the bibs I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Scent-Blocker-Outfitter-Spider-Swwpxtm/dp/B012WNQDSU/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B012WNQDSU&pd_rd_r=d789f7eb-b68c-11e8-861c-cd06ea1130b1&pd_rd_w=aNFY9&pd_rd_wg=nwOg5&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=0bb14103-7f67-4c21-9b0b-31f42dc047e7&pf_rd_r=H28EVTW93B01C1SY3SZ4&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=H28EVTW93B01C1SY3SZ4

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had one of the over the shoulder style and there was times I just wouldn't wear it because it was heavy and uncomfortable, I switched to a rock climbing harness , a shock rated lanyard and hunter safety system prusik lines on all my stands.

Edit: Come to think of it ,I should give my gorilla harness away . If someone wants it let me know ,I'm not shipping it though .

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

I am in for the gorilla...I believe your in the wny area?
Had a slip last year ....and now I won't travel up a stand without a harness.
Was going to start shopping this week....so if your willing to part with the gorilla I would love to try it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sounds good ,the only thing is that I use the tree strap portion of it when using my climber . I've never researched a replacement option for the tree strap.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Sounds good ,the only thing is that I use the tree strap portion of it when using my climber . I've never researched a replacement option for the tree strap.

Pretty sure every stand must come with a cheap harness and tree strap.  Should be easy to find a tree strap.

• Like 2

I have the HHA system. It's ok, and I feel very comfortable and safe using it. Clip in to a safety line on the ground, using the prusik knot. I have used this for a few years now. May be time to upgrade.

I really like the look of the bibs that moog posted. Will look into those.

3 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

I'm also looking into suspension relief straps. My understanding is when hanging in a harness for more than ten minutes things could get ugly for your circulation. I always went by the idea of staddling the tree and cutting the harness then shimmying down. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I guess it's always better to fall from a tree when you're ready for it as opposed to when gravity and physics dictates it for you.

Edited by Jeremy K

Thank you for all the input so far, much appreciated.   Not going to hide it, both my dad, and I have never used any harness.  We are not proud of that, and ARE changing that this year.  We always rifle hunted only from climbers, so it never seemed necessary.   We now bow hunt, and have ladder stands as well, so it is just downright stupid of us at this point.

My point is l, I need to look into each of your suggestions,  and I will pick one out for myself, then explain the options to my dad.

I will add to this with questions, and such, thanks again! 

Edited by Bionic

1 hour ago, kpkot said:

I have the hunters safety vest style.  I like the pockets for quick access to a call or cell phone. Maybe $75 & comfy

You should have a grappling hook gun that shoots out of your arm like batman... just saying

It's actually like a big tentacle that shoots out lol.  Problem is, everything is crap now-a-days,  simply cannot rely solely on electronics.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Thank you for all the input so far, much appreciated.   Not going to hide it, both my dad, and I have never used any harness.  We are not proud of that, and ARE changing that this year.  We always rifle hunted only from climbers, so it never seemed necessary.   We now bow hunt, and have ladder stands as well, so it is just downright stupid of us at this point.

My point is l, I need to look into each of your suggestions,  and I will pick one out for myself, then explain the options to my dad.

I will add to this with questions, and such, thanks again! 

I wouldnt be caught in my climber without a harness. I feel more secure in a ladder stand personally, but use harness for both regardless. I've done the climber oh Sh!t shuffle before.... not fun, but it will wake you up on those early mornings. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kpkot said:

I wouldnt be caught in my climber without a harness. I feel more secure in a ladder stand personally, but use harness for both regardless. I've done the climber oh Sh!t shuffle before.... not fun, but it will wake you up on those early mornings. 

I hear you.  We have always just been very picky about the trees we use the climbers on, only use soft bark trees, not sure which tree it is called honestly.  The teeth dig in nicely, and once up to the height we want, we use a small ratchet strap to help the upper cable hug the tree tighter.   Going to get harnesses though, before our luck runs out.

5 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I hear you.  We have always just been very picky about the trees we use the climbers on, only use soft bark trees, not sure which tree it is called honestly.  The teeth dig in nicely, and once up to the height we want, we use a small ratchet strap to help the upper cable hug the tree tighter.   Going to get harnesses though, before our luck runs out.

Ash trees are great for climbers  Kicking out bottom platform always not so great as teeth lock in nicely.

Great call on getting harnesses/ the likes.  

2 hours ago, sits in trees said:

I'm also looking into suspension relief straps. My understanding is when hanging in a harness for more than ten minutes things could get ugly for your circulation. I always went by the idea of staddling the tree and cutting the harness then shimmying down. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

https://www.dynamicrescue.com/blogs/news/13262417-ask-a-pro-what-is-suspension-trauma-aka-harness-hang-syndrome

I carry a relief strap, the ones that come with the harness provided with new stands . If you want to get down rather then hang and wait , you can also carry a closed loop and tie it onto your safety line  ( Prusik knot )  at a point low enough to place your foot in and stand . By doing this you can then lower upper Prusik , hang from that , lower the foot one and keep inch worming down .

I also recommend hanging from a harness, to see how far you actually hang ,what it feels like, how it restricts your movement and so on. Do it from a low height , and if your harness has break away loops, bypass that by using a rope . The first time I practiced hanging ( cheap harness btw ) , I discovered I had tied the leg straps wrong, and they came right out of the buckles.....

If you’re in a tree with steps or sticks , if you walk your feet up the trunk a bit you should be able to move around the trunk to a point you can reach them . You’ll fall off the right ,left or front of stand it should be easy to reach them on most trees, you climber guys have a bit more to deal with .

I have only ladders up now and only tie in once on the platform, I’m thinking of rigging something for the transition from ladder to,platform though .

I use a Muddy harness .

Nice to see Belo here again !

and for the record it’s Prusik , it’s the guys last name .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad