Bird ID question

moog5050

So ever since I started cutting ATV trails at my property (which is like 60% marsh and swamp and the rest hardwoods), I have these brown colored birds that sit in the trails and startle me as I walk up on them.  Any idea what they can be.  They seem to like to sit on the ground in the open cut trails.  They look to be fairly big like morning dove size only fatter.  I have had a hard time getting a good look at them as I don't see them until I almost step on them and off they go into the thick stuff.  Curious what type of bird would sit on the trails. The trails where these birds sit are located in thick swamp land but not its standing water, just kind of soft and muddy with lots of undergrowth.    Thought maybe quail but not sure that makes sense in this habitat.

Edited by moog5050

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So ever since I started cutting ATV trails at my property (which is like 60% marsh and swamp and the rest hardwoods), I have these brown colored birds that sit in the trails and startle me as I walk up on them.  Any idea what they can be.  They seem to like to sit on the ground in the open cut trails.  They look to be fairly big like morning dove size only fatter.  I have had a hard time getting a good look at them as I don't see them until I almost step on them and off they go into the thick stuff.  Curious what type of bird would sit on the trails. The trails where these birds sit are located in thick swamp land but not its standing water, just kind of soft and muddy with lots of undergrowth.    Thought maybe quail but not sure that makes sense in this habitat.

you sure they aren't morning doves?  I am seeing a lot lately. 

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

you sure they aren't morning doves?  I am seeing a lot lately. 

Definitely not morning doves.  Could be woodcock but I didn't notice the long beak but then again, I haven't seen one before its flying away.  I thought woodcock are small.

Grouse often "sit tight" until almost stepped on and then fly away. I've encountered them in open hardwoods and dense swaps both.

I took shelter under a spruce tree in the rain one year and was there several minutes until it flew out and scared the crap out of me as it thundered through the boughs and took off right above my head...

woodcock

Image result for woodcock

Edited by Salmon_Run
added photo
  • Like 1

Could be killdeer too. They are similar to what you described. they would love the short grass that you mowed, next to a swampy area. Love the broken wing thing they do, when protecting their nest.

Killdeer...................next to a hunting set up?    Sounds good to me!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Could be killdeer too. They are similar to what you described. they would love the short grass that you mowed, next to a swampy area. Love the broken wing thing they do, when protecting their nest.

Killdeer...................next to a hunting set up?    Sounds good to me!

That's a pretty bird but it had more of that random camo look like the grouse.  I don't think we have lots of them but I have been startled by one each of the last two times there.  They do sit tight for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That's a pretty bird but it had more of that random camo look like the grouse.  I don't think we have lots of them but I have been startled by one each of the last two times there.  They do sit tight for sure.

Thunder chickens. They do eat very well. Love the drumming in the spring. 

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thunder chickens. They do eat very well. Love the drumming in the spring. 

You know I remember hearing them when we bear hunted but I have never heard them at my property.  Then again, if the drumming takes place in spring, I am rarely at the property.  And, this could be a new grouse invasion.

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

grouse are a lot of fun and tastiest bird i think. woodcock are probers and ear worms and bugs in soft moist damp soils. to me they taste muddy but are a fun hunt you need a miagratory stamp to hunt them though. 

You do not need a stamp to hunt woodcock, but do you need a HIP #  and need to have your gun plugged to 3 shots...