Feeding those in need- We need your help!!!

26 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Done. Is goal $1,000 or $10,000?

Our branch goal is $1,000 of our matching dollars. a donor put out a challenge and a $100 donation. If we hit $1,500 their family will toss in another $300. I believe VDC will leave this go fund me up after our initial efforts are done. i raised the cap to $10,000 at their request so that it will remain open and for their use even after we hit our branch goals. 

Thank you for your contribution.  

Clawing a scratching our way to the finish line. Just wanted to bump this. I have to say I really appreciate the response the members of the site have given this.  I posted on 2 other forums and believe it or not I was basically told to let them hunt for their own venison. I couldn't wrap my head around a response like that especially when there can be children involved.  And in all honestly with the homeless there can be a pretty high  incidence of mental illness as well.  Kind of makes the owning firearms thing in NY not work so well. 

Oh well. Thank you everyone and if you haven't shared this link in your networks, please do. 

https://www.gofundme.com/grst-qdma-feed-those-in-need

With what we have donated and a few promises I think we need about $380 to hit our goal and the anonymous challenge matching money. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 8:39 AM, Stay at home Nomad said:

Ugh .... I swore off any more go fund me’s , give me half a day, I’m off RV shopping now .

can't wait... from what you said you'll come back broke if you're shopping for RV's and if you aren't you will be after owning one. lol

• Like 1

if your processor you use isn't on the list, ask them to get involved. their bare costs are covered, just a phone call and someone from VDC comes to pick it up.  processors are always needed.  i know of one that did it and would still be doing it if he didn't stop processing deer. couldn't keep up with demand for hundreds of deer coming in, yet only would be asked to do a handful for donation.

http://venisondonation.com/find-a-processor/

Nice article about the program 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2018/09/ny_program_that_gives_venison_donated_by_hunters_to_those_in_need_losing_money.html

I will say that with No more NY State grants to help the program and the intake from donations while buying your license only at $3,300 STATEWIDE, this program could very easily go away without support. 

We are very close to our initial goal and could use the help. At this point every dollar donated up the $1,400 will be matched. that is a lot of help for the hungry. 

19 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Bob i just noticed that once you go to the page theirs a prompt with a challenge from your branch. good to see your goal is almost met.

I am trying to stay positive on this but am a bit disheartened. I thought that goal would have been hit already. We have just short of 1,100 page views, Only 99 shares and only 34 people contributed. It really was an eye opener when I read that $3,400 was donated at the sales point for licenses. That tells me NY is doing a crap job of promoting this. 500,000 licenses sold is the number I heard for hunting/fishing/trapping. the smallest amount you can donate in while buying your license is $1. If that was all that was donated, it's only 3,400 sportsmen/women (I just got out of an EEO and sexual harassment training so I figured I better write it that way...lol) supporting during that. 

closest processor around are area is over an hour west of me. our group was pretty down that there wasn't more processors near us. nobody's donating or getting deer out this way if there's nobody to bring it to. still we donated and tabled a matching amount to somehow get to local food closets here.  it's a crazy idea hitting so many hurdles for the associated work we do. seems like it's more of a suck hole for efforts the closer you get to the capitol. still this is a good program not to lose. it'd take a lot to get something up and running if this had to be resurrected from the ashes.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:14 PM, dbHunterNY said:

closest processor around are area is over an hour west of me. our group was pretty down that there wasn't more processors near us. nobody's donating or getting deer out this way if there's nobody to bring it to. still we donated and tabled a matching amount to somehow get to local food closets here.  it's a crazy idea hitting so many hurdles for the associated work we do. seems like it's more of a suck hole for efforts the closer you get to the capitol. still this is a good program not to lose. it'd take a lot to get something up and running if this had to be resurrected from the ashes.

There are lots of processors but far fewer that can meet the Department of Health requirements I am sure. 

We are just $15 away from hitting a number that max's out the branch donation as well as getting the other $400 match form the anonymous donor. This donor is also saying they my be willing to match more if the campaign keeps rolling. 

Thank you to everyone here that donated or shared this link with their networks. This is gong to be 11,200 servings to feed the hungry. 

In the updates you see the Branch matching check that is on the way to the VDC for our $1,000 match. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Thank you so much for everyone that donated or passed this around. We hit our matching goals but we are just $20 short of a threshold that would trigger another $100 match from the anonymous donor. If you have been considering a donation to this it would be a great time. This $20 would push the campaign to $1,900 and  the match would put us at $2,000. The Branch's match has already been sent in so that totals a donation of $3,000. That is 12,000 servings. 

Thank you all. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good write up in the Outdoor News about the VDC.

Still not too late to help those in need as we move into the holiday season. 

I would like to add to this article that many of the NY QDMA branches donated to this initiative outside of this Go Fund Me. This was just our part of the State wide campaign. 

978453080_VDCOutdoorsnews.thumb.JPG.9b65bc4593c45d30c4d124bcab1cf862.JPG

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to follow up with the campaign total on this. Across the state, NY QDMA raised  $6,350 for the Venison donation coalition. This Go Fund Me sits at $2,250. Add in the our Branch match of $1,000 and that is $3,250 of the $6,350 State total. I want to thank everyone on the site for helping in this effort whether you passed along the information or actually contributed. 

Next year when you are purchasing your license, take a second and approve the donation through the licensing system. It is under advertised and not used very much. The licensing agents do not push or inform on this as they should