LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

I don’t think they are acorns. They have no tops and there’s literally thousands of them and the deer never touch them each year. It’s like walking on marbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poisonous oaks, deadly to 2.5+ yr old bucks if ingested...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don’t think they are acorns. They have no tops and there’s literally thousands of them and the deer never touch them each year. It’s like walking on marbles.

Sometimes white oak acorns fall out of their caps while still attached to the tree, resulting in what it looks like in your picture...a bunch of capless acorns

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Look at your picture, Biz...There are several tops lying there with the acorns.. Perhaps the deer in Putnam County are retarded...hehehe...

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Look at your picture, Biz...There are several tops lying there with the acorns.. Perhaps the deer in Putnam County are retarded...hehehe...

Definitely acorns. One is starting to sprout so it's definitely a white oak of some sort as red sprout in the spring. I had one variety or white oak acorn on my old Steuben county Hill top land that the deer wouldn't touch as well. I believe it was Chestnut oak which is in the white oak family. I bet that's what you have going on.

• Like 1

The tops are from a different but that look exactly like acorns. Those brown tubular ones are different and I also see them in yellow too.

Definitely acorns. One is starting to sprout so it's definitely a white oak of some sort as red sprout in the spring. I had one variety or white oak acorn on my old Steuben county Hill top land that the deer wouldn't touch as well. I believe it was Chestnut oak which is in the white oak family. I bet that's what you have going on.

Thanks that makes more sense. I’m reading deer typically won’t eat them, which is what happens every year with these. The regular smaller acorns get eaten by deer but not these long tube ones.

13 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I had a close encounter with one of my target bucks yesterday morning. He's a 130+ 8 point. He came in quartering to me and stopped behind a tree to make a scrape. I drew in anticipation that he would follow the other 4 bucks that did the same and present a nice quartering away shot at 25 yards. Except he decided to turn away and only gave me an ass view as he wandered off. 

I hunted all day and saw plenty of deer, but he didn't come back. 

A buddy of mine shot a beautiful 130 class 10 point yesterday morning. Here’s a pic. DDD37C7D-4420-42A8-9E80-69BF271DE1F5.jpeg.e40a3a9b0562ca6f3846e431f60451d6.jpeg

wow nice crab claws congrats to your buddy!!!!

• Like 1

I was driven out of the woods by rain yesterday (Tuesday). What a miserable day. And I am not just whining about some petty drizzle. It was flat-out pouring for most of the day. I know that deer move on rainy days, but they would have had to have been wearing some kind of floatation gear.

I made it for a couple of hours, but eventually got washed right out of the woods.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

I was driven out of the woods by rain yesterday (Tuesday). What a miserable day. And I am not just whining about some petty drizzle. It was flat-out pouring for most of the day. I know that deer move on rainy days, but they would have had to have been wearing some kind of floatation gear.

I made it for a couple of hours, but eventually got washed right out of the woods.

My buddy and I set ladder stands on our lease...good weather for that in season.

This guy was hanging at one of the trees we selected:

IMG_5534.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Home from work at 808, changed and in tree at 820. Feel like crap but I have to pick up my boy from preschool at 1130 so I can’t go to bed yet so I figured I’d sit in my tree for a couple hours. Can’t kill em from the couch right?bec25ff73e1d51fb319e25f108429d4a.jpg

what would you do if you do stick one? I always hesitate to hunt those small windows in case I do get lucky or worse, wound one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Francesco B
      Hello everyone I’m currently looking at a house in deposit ny I’ve been deer hunting for many year mainly in Columbia and Greene county never been to Broome county. Before anything I was just curious how is the hunting there ? I know there aren’t any antlered restrictions in Broome but are there monsters out there or is it mainly just small spike? If anyone from that county or knows about deposit and broome county would get back to me i would appreciate it. Hope everyone hunting today catch a big one thanks.
    • By Ainsley Ash
      The procedure below to carry the bow is detailed below:
      You have to use a cotton towel or something similar. You have to wrap it around the bowstring. Doing so ensures that it will not cause an injury with the bowstring coming in contact with your body. It will not be that sharp either. Once you cover the bowstring with the towel, you have to wear it like a sling. So that it will not fall away from your body. The best way to cover the bowstring is to use a large enough towel. You can wrap it around twice as well. When making a sling out of the cotton towel, you have to ensure that you tighten it to get a snug fit. In that case, it will not slip away. Consequently, it will remain in place. When using this technique to carry a bow on your back, it is essential to practice before going in the wilderness. Only when you can move briskly and without noise using the scanning mechanism should you go ahead with it. To remove the bow, you have to hold it at the bottom. After that, you have to slip it over your head as well as arm. Doing so ensures that you can remove it quickly. When trying to focus on a prey, you need to remove the bow quickly. The technique for removal that we have highlighted above can certainly help you do so.
    • By JDN2K
      Just want to relay an experience I had this weekend regarding hunting regulations and other hunters.
      I've had several  hunter's tell me last weekend(10/12/2020) that muzzleloader was open, it is not. I also had two other hunters last weekend confront me as to why my son was carrying around a rifle and hunting deer. I calmly explained the youth weekend and the rules around it. After that everything was cool and we continued our hunt.
      I know at the end of the day we're all trying to participate in a sport we love and maybe harvest some game. My thought is to just make sure you're up on your local hunting regulations. Not just so you are within the rules, but also so you can assert your right to be where you are, hunting the way you're hunting.
      I know when I have been operating outside of the regulations I have appreciated a person respectfully correcting my ignorance and I try to pay it forward by being informed and respectfully educating when required.
      Thanks for listening, off my SB...
    • By Alfredo
      Hello,
      I am in the process of purchasing my first rifle to go hunting deer for the first time.  However, I have received contradicting information regarding the types of rifles that are legal.  Based on what I have read, it appears that I am able to use a bolt-action rifle with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine which holds 10 rounds.  However, I have been told that this is not the case. I can't seem to find where this is stated.  Can any one here provide me with some insight into this? I'd really appreciate it.
      Thanks in Advanced,
      Alfredo
    • By RJ_Outdoor_Experience
      Newest Hunting Podcast called The Young American Hunter has now published its first episode. Lead by Ryan & Jake- the moderators of @rj_outdoor_exeprience on Instagram. Both Ryan and Jake are avid outdoorsmen and have been around hunting their entire lives. Learning from the young and the old, Ryan and Jake bring their experiences straight to you. On the first episode of The Young American Hunter podcast, Jake provides a brief introduction and explains the purpose of the show. Ryan will be joining in on future episodes. To listen to the episode, copy and paste the link below into your web browser. Here is the bio for Jake's introduction:

"Thank you for joining us for our FIRST ever hunting podcast here on the Young American Hunter podcast. As you may have already heard, this podcast is gauged towards the new hunters trying to get out in the woods. The Young American Hunter podcast is here to entertain the hunting population, educate upcoming hunters, provide product reviews and discuss some of the newest Wildlife Management Laws. This episode is broadcasted by Jake (Big Haas). Ryan (Rooster) will be joining us in the following episodes. As time goes on and the more episodes that are being published, we promise you it will be more entertaining. This episode is just an introduction... We cant wait to bring more to you! Follow our virtual journal on Instagram (@rj_outoor_experience) and engage in some of the feeds we post! We look forward to hearing from you and enjoy the show! Thank you for joining us for our FIRST ever hunting podcast here on the Young American Hunter podcast. As you may have already heard, this podcast is gauged towards the new hunters trying to get out in the woods. The Young American Hunter podcast is here to entertain the hunting population, educate upcoming hunters, provide product reviews and discuss some of the newest Wildlife Management Laws. This episode is broadcasted by Jake (Big Haas). Ryan (Rooster) will be joining us in the following episodes. As time goes on and the more episodes that are being published, we promise you it will be more entertaining. This episode is just an introduction... We cant wait to bring more to you! Follow our virtual journal on Instagram (@rj_outoor_experience) and engage in some of the feeds we post! We look forward to hearing from you and enjoy the show!"
      "FYI... Future podcasts will be longer! this was a basic overview of Jakes's hunting background. We hope you enjoyed it... God Bless America"

Link:  https://anchor.fm/youngamericanhunter
      FOLLOW: @rj_outdoor_experience on Instagram