LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

I got out this morning. The bucks were quite active as I saw 4 different bucks rip up the same scrapes that were untouched on my walk in this morning. One of them was a 3.5 yo 9 point that needs another year. Decided to sit out the evening hunt due to a migraine that came on suddenly and has stuck with me all day. I might try again Saturday morning as it looks like we will have a nice drop in temperature. 

image.jpeg.4ba74b1f3e89d873eab0af427e407b91.jpeg

• Like 9

I got out this morning. The bucks were quite active as I saw 4 different bucks rip up the same scrapes that were untouched on my walk in this morning. One of them was a 3.5 yo 9 point that needs another year. Decided to sit out the evening hunt due to a migraine that came on suddenly and has stuck with me all day. I might try again Saturday morning as it looks like we will have a nice drop in temperature. 
image.jpeg.4ba74b1f3e89d873eab0af427e407b91.jpeg

Wow. 3.5 9 point gets a pass. You must have some impressive deer on your resume. He’s a brute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Wow. 3.5 9 point gets a pass. You must have some impressive deer on your resume. He’s a brute.

He was 50 yds but I probably would’ve passed on him. There are 3 others in the area that are on my list that I’m trying to hold out for. Seeing how we have a 4 month season and only 2 buck tags, there is no sense it settling 1 week into the season. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

Hey Grampy what happened last night???

After spending close to nine hours in a blind, he started to get figity about five o'clock. I told him we can go, this is supposed to be fun, not something forced. He said, we'll give it another half hour, if we don't see anymore deer. Told him I'll be fine with whatever he wants to do, this is all about him. We headed out at five thirty.

We made plans for our next hunt on the way home. Baseball and football will be over soon. The best hunting is yet to come. 

Even though he's been tagging along with me for years, he's still only fourteen. The last thing I want to do is make hunting not fun for him. 

We had an exciting morning hunt though, and we talked about that a lot on the way home too. He came within a second or so, three different times of shooting a mature eight point. The buck was moving in thick cover, along a bedding area. I spotted him with binoculars about a hundred yards out, moving diagonally towards us, left to right. I told him buck coming, get ready buddy! The buck was browsing, and not really easy to see in the cover he was in. Took Zach a bit to find him in the scope, as the deer would be visible one minute, then disappear the next. I found a small opening just ahead of the buck, and said "see that orange bush, aim to the right of it, he will step out there". And he did. Told Zach, when you're ready, take the safety off and squeeze the trigger. Seemed like a long time went by, but was probably only fifteen or twenty seconds, no shot, and the deer moved. Then the whole process started again, and then again, as the buck disappeared, then appeared again through openings. Just as Zach was starting to apply pressure to the trigger, the buck would move again!

Zach is a very good shot, and has shot his rifle, many, many times. I've always told him to never rush the shot. And be sure of your shot! He followed those teachings to the letter, perhaps too much. But I could not be more proud of him! I could tell he was having trouble controlling his breath, (heck who wouldn't) and the scopes reticle was jumping all over, he told me afterwards. And just as he would get it to settle, with coaxing from me, the buck would move again. Until finally we lost sight of him.

There will be more chances for Zach this year. And for decades to come. And no doubt many bucks will lay before him. He gained experience as a hunter yesterday. And maybe not as much, as if he had killed that buck. But he will probably never forget him. Or that hunt yesterday,.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

After spending close to nine hours in a blind, he started to get figity about five o'clock. I told him we can go, this is supposed to be fun, not something forced. He said, we'll give it another half hour, if we don't see anymore deer. Told him I'll be fine with whatever he wants to do, this is all about him. We headed out at five thirty.
We made plans for our next hunt on the way home. Baseball and football will be over soon. The best hunting is yet to come. 
Even though he's been tagging along with me for years, he's still only fourteen. The last thing I want to do is make hunting not fun for him. 
We had an exciting morning hunt though, and we talked about that a lot on the way home too. He came within a second or so, three different times of shooting a mature eight point. The buck was moving in thick cover, along a bedding area. I spotted him with binoculars about a hundred yards out, moving diagonally towards us, left to right. I told him buck coming, get ready buddy! The buck was browsing, and not really easy to see in the cover he was in. Took Zach a bit to find him in the scope, as the deer would be visible one minute, then disappear the next. I found a small opening just ahead of the buck, and said "see that orange bush, aim to the right of it, he will step out there". And he did. Told Zach, when you're ready, take the safety off and squeeze the trigger. Seemed like a long time went by, but was probably only fifteen or twenty seconds, no shot, and the deer moved. Then the whole process started again, and then again, as the buck disappeared, then appeared again through openings. Just as Zach was starting to apply pressure to the trigger, the buck would move again!
Zach is a very good shot, and has shot his rifle, many, many times. I've always told him to never rush the shot. And be sure of your shot! He followed those teachings to the letter, perhaps too much. But I could not be more proud of him! I could tell he was having trouble controlling his breath, (heck who wouldn't) and the scopes reticle was jumping all over, he told me afterwards. And just as he would get it to settle, with coaxing from me, the buck would move again. Until finally we lost sight of him.
There will be more chances for Zach this year. And for decades to come. And no doubt many bucks will lay before him. He gained experience as a hunter yesterday. And maybe not as much, as if he had killed that buck. But he will probably never forget him. Or that hunt yesterday,.

What an awesome experience for him and you!! Glad things worked out(even without a down deer!)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grampy said:

Great discipline by Zach!  He did well to listen to your teachings and apply them when it counted.  I'm sure he will connect before the season is over.

Quick question, was he able to use the blind logs as a shooting rail or was he shooting offhand? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Great discipline by Zach!  He did well to listen to your teachings and apply them when it counted.  I'm sure he will connect before the season is over.

Quick question, was he able to use the blind logs as a shooting rail or was he shooting offhand? 

You may be thinking the blinds I showed you at the lake property. We were at the farm property. Using hub style blind, with a Primo's trigger stick bipod. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, grampy said:

That sounds great grampy. I think it is better to err on the side of caution rather than winging it. You two will have plenty moren chances to connect,and this sounds like a very memorable hunt. Glad you get to do this with your grandson and that you saw a nice buck!!

• Like 1

Finally got one down. 20 yard broadside shot. Hit was a bit high and back and no exit, so no blood. Found the deer after a 90 minute grid search only 100 yards from my stand. As photo shows, it was dark by the time I got him. Small 7 pointer. e49311f30e8aa3bf79f912a1f867b1b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 26

Finally got one down. 20 yard broadside shot. Hit was a bit high and back and no exit, so no blood. Found the deer after a 90 minute grid search only 100 yards from my stand. As photo shows, it was dark by the time I got him. Small 7 pointer. e49311f30e8aa3bf79f912a1f867b1b2.jpg&key=a9da6f41a595554916b5ade793a75dbd82dd9d957834e922c4fb00809306a7c9

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Congrats!