LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

1 minute ago, Dinsdale said:

Cut up a tree and moved the wood today before the rains come again....in the low 80's here.

You are a better man than I.

But thanks for posting pics, enjoy checking this thread.

It has rained almost everyday since June in my area, so to finally have some weight off my shoulders, and a nice sunny day, I just HAD to sit here all day. 

• Like 1

TF- Still in the trees, haven't seen a thing, which always seems to be the case here.  

I feel for you man I think out side of the daks and the high peeks of the Catskills the part of Sullivan county you hunt is one of the toughest in the state. I have a friend who is a member of a camp down by you and I think out of 20 guys last year they killed 2 doe and no bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I feel for you man I think out side of the daks and the high peeks of the Catskills the part of Sullivan county you hunt is one of the toughest in the state. I have a friend who is a member of a camp down by you and I think out of 20 guys last year they killed 2 doe and no bucks.

Hey Chef, I hear you man, it is difficult for sure.  Yeah thats me who is in the vicinity of your friend's camp.  I took a very nice 7 point in 2014 on my property here, which dressed at 175.  That was opening day rifle.  I have seen a few giants with suprising mass walk randomly past cams here before, to have never had them show up again in any means.  Even driving in the area say within 5 miles, every now and then a giant rack appears with a big body.  Like you have said before, they surely are here, but I truly feel they do not have solid patters up here.  Sightings just seem sooo sporadic and random, and rubs just seem so spaced, and few, that i cant seem to figure out if its one buck,  or if it criss crossed another, lol.  Again, I am not a good hunter, I do not seem to scout much at all either because of the lack of sign, and for reasons said prior.  It cracks me up though, its deep dark woods, and pretty vast, roads are not too scattered here, and the houses are really not too plentiful when you look on google earth.  Oh well, I will just keep putting my time in,  it makes getting a large buck that more exciting, and meaningful to me.  Fortunately I have a spot in Orange County where deer sightings of doe, and buck are much more frequent.  Thinking out loud now, and wrote a book, haha.  Stay safe in Florida! 

Just now, Papist said:

Sounds like you need a Papist style horizontal, resin, sap based rub my fren

Always looking to learn! Always. 

I thought about trying that actually....

You know something, here too the pines tend to get the rubs on them like your woods.  I should try it, what do I have to lose, nothing...

• Like 1

Hey Chef, I hear you man, it is difficult for sure.  Yeah thats me who is in the vicinity of your friend's camp.  I took a very nice 7 point in 2014 on my property here, which dressed at 175.  That was opening day rifle.  I have seen a few giants with suprising mass walk randomly past cams here before, to have never had them show up again in any means.  Even driving in the area say within 5 miles, every now and then a giant rack appears with a big body.  Like you have said before, they surely are here, but I truly feel they do not have solid patters up here.  Sightings just seem sooo sporadic and random, and rubs just seem so spaced, and few, that i cant seem to figure out if its one buck,  or if it criss crossed another, lol.  Again, I am not a good hunter, I do not seem to scout much at all either because of the lack of sign, and for reasons said prior.  It cracks me up though, its deep dark woods, and pretty vast, roads are not too scattered here, and the houses are really not too plentiful when you look on google earth.  Oh well, I will just keep putting my time in,  it makes getting a large buck that more exciting, and meaningful to me.  Fortunately I have a spot in Orange County where deer sightings of doe, and buck are much more frequent.  Thinking out loud now, and wrote a book, haha.  Stay safe in Florida! 

I have to say sitting at this hotel bar.... more then a little drunk. Reading your reply made me smile. And in this drunkin ramble I’ll tell you why. You described it perfectly. It’s hard hunting, very hard hunting. But what you said is true. When you do get a nice buck there it’s so much more meaningful. Not to insult or discredit some of our other members but they hunt farm land and get good bucks year after year. You kill a buck in that part of Sullivan you earned it.

Good luck brother

Drunk rant over

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I have to say sitting at this hotel bar.... more then a little drunk. Reading your reply made me smile. And in this drunkin ramble I’ll tell you why. You described it perfectly. It’s hard hunting, very hard hunting. But what you said is true. When you do get a nice buck there it’s so much more meaningful. Not to insult or discredit some of our other members but they hunt farm land and get good bucks year after year. You kill a buck in that part of Sullivan you earned it.

Good luck brother

Drunk rant over

Thank you Chef, I appreciate it. 

Good luck to you as well, and have a safe trip.

Good luck brother

Drunk rant over

I read this at a hotel bar. Slightly drunk lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I read this at a hotel bar. Slightly drunk lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At least I wasn’t the only one ! I’ll try and update you guys with some live pics as I drive down the Florida panhandle today

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Bionic said:

Thank you Chef, I appreciate it. 

Good luck to you as well, and have a safe trip.

No doubt deer density makes many areas of the state much easier to hunt.  I hope you have your opportunity.  I see deer more often than not on sits.  It would not be easy for me to stay motivated if sightings were the rarity.  Kudos to you folks hunting those tough areas!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

At least I wasn’t the only one ! I’ll try and update you guys with some live pics as I drive down the Florida panhandle today

Do you typically plan your trips into the heart of a Hurricane or is it just coincidence? 

• Like 1

No doubt deer density makes many areas of the state much easier to hunt.  I hope you have your opportunity.  I see deer more often than not on sits.  It would not be easy for me to stay motivated if sightings were the rarity.  Kudos to you folks hunting those tough areas!

So you don’t want to come hunt with me either?

This past week I was in Canada. A non-resident permit is not cheap, but it was Xbow season so I brought it along. Only one tag, either sex.

I had a nice spot at a relative's property--one that has never been hunted based on the reports of the deer numbers. And I can say it's probably accurate. Teeming with deer. I took one on my fourth sit. My third sit you can see here--this is the first time I've ever had 6 deer under my stand and also the first time I've ever let a deer go past without shooting when it was a reasonable size and I had a tag. Not quite sure why, but I watched one of these deer at 20 yards in front of me eat and peeing. You can see five of them here as they walk off. I was partly hoping to get a larger one than this doe, as the group had a larger buck (still by no means huge).

Deer1.JPG.278437af313b41d82874a236ddf31690.JPG

Next morning I was up. Sunrise was just after 7 and by 9 I was starting to regret my decision the earlier night because, with time at this location running short and needing lead time with a butcher, I realized I had to get one soon. However, as luck would have it the buck from the earlier morning came along. Saw him at 50, he went behind some trees and I readied to get him if he'd come out the other side. 25 yards he came out and I had a nice quartering away.

With my Xbow at that range, it's a done deal. So when I saw the lighted nock confirm entry into just where it should be and the deer did the weird jump twitch and ran off, I knew I'd be done inside of 50 yards.

So you can imagine my surprise when I failed to see blood. 80 yards down where he'd run I found a few specks at the most and realized something awful had happened. Had I badly missed? Had the rage failed? I couldn't find my arrow but with the power of this xbow that must have mean it hit bone and was lodged in.

I ended up tracking a mild blood trail through the thickest terrain ever. If you've ever tried to get between young evergreens, you know what that means. literally hands and knees. The path led down to the ocean and I was quite confident I'd never see the deer, as he'd have run off elsewhere and die miles away.

To my surprise I look down on the beach and I see him.

Deer2.JPG.1dd3434a5d4c04f7f3f20e4d4ab0f3ad.JPG

I'm still not quite sure what killed him. The broadhead opened perfectly, 2" cut on both sides (I found the arrow the next morning up where I'd hit him).

No blood in the mouth, little around the wounds, heart was fine. He made it about 200 yards. Hard to age him, as the antlers were not huge, either 1.5 or 2.5 years I guess.

As for the shot I think I was maybe 2" back on the entire thing. Had I hit very slightly forward it would have double lunged him no question at all.

Edited by Core
  • Like 19

5 minutes ago, Core said:

This past week I was in Canada. A non-resident permit is not cheap, but it was Xbow season so I brought it along. Only one tag, either sex.

I had a nice spot at a relative's property--one that has never been hunted based on the reports of the deer numbers. And I can say it's probably accurate. Teeming with deer. I took one on my fourth sit. My third sit you can see here--this is the first time I've ever had 6 deer under my stand and also the first time I've ever let a deer go past without shooting when it was a reasonable size and I had a tag. Not quite sure why, but I watched one of these deer at 20 yards in front of me eat and peeing. You can see five of them here as they walk off. I was partly hoping to get a larger one than this doe, as the group had a larger buck (still by no means huge).

Next morning I was up. Sunrise was just after 7 and by 9 I was starting to regret my decision the earlier night because, with time at this location running short and needing lead time with a butcher, I realized I had to get one soon. However, as luck would have it the buck from the earlier morning came along. Saw him at 50, he went behind some trees and I readied to get him if he'd come out the other side. 25 yards he came out and I had a nice quartering away.

With my Xbow at that range, it's a done deal. So when I saw the lighted nock confirm entry into just where it should be and the deer did the weird jump twitch and ran off, I knew I'd be done inside of 50 yards.

So you can imagine my surprise when I failed to see blood. 80 yards down where he'd run I found a few specks at the most and realized something awful had happened. Had I badly missed? Had the rage failed? I couldn't find my arrow but with the power of this xbow that must have mean it hit bone and was lodged in.

I ended up tracking a mild blood trail through the thickest terrain ever. If you've ever tried to get between young evergreens, you know what that means. literally hands and knees. The path led down to the ocean and I was quite confident I'd never see the deer, as he'd have run off elsewhere and die miles away.

I'm still not quite sure what killed him. The broadhead opened perfectly, 2" cut on both sides (I found the arrow the next morning up where I'd hit him).

No blood in the mouth, little around the wounds, heart was fine. He made it about 200 yards. Hard to age him, as the antlers were not huge, either 1.5 or 2.5 years I guess.

As for the shot I think I was maybe 2" back on the entire thing. Had I hit very slightly forward it would have double lunged him no question at all.

Wanted to see the lake just one more time, poor fella.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Core said:

A saltwater recovery, is that a first for the forum?? Congrats!

• Like 2

Just now, Stein13 said:

Congrats core anymore pics of your buck

No kidding!  Congrats to him on the kill, but it has got to be the worst positioned deer I have ever seen in a kill photo!!  At least position it to look like a deer instead of some mysterious beached creature!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No kidding!  Congrats to him on the kill, but it has got to be the worst positioned deer I have ever seen in a kill photo!!  At least position it to look like a deer instead of some mysterious beached creature!  LOL

Horns are on wrong side of head too 54c4651b61f036e15f9af4f15a0dd115.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 2