LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

32 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I pack everything back up and I have a backup stand about 400yds away, I race over to it and it's gone, someone stole it!

One year my brother in law put a stand up the afternoon before the opening of gun season. When he went in the next morning before daylight it was gone. That is one of the reasons I primarily use a climber. Every time I put a ladder stand up I chain it and lock it even on my own property. I bought four locks all keyed the same so I don't have to worry about which key goes to each lock.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phillifan22 said:

Looks like lake effect Fri-Mon (heaviest on Sat), with the possibility for a nor’easter type storm mid next week. Lots of model spread though, so it could be all rain, or 6-12” of snow for CNY/CapitalRegion/Dacks. We will wait and see, but generally looks like a cold airmass for a while starting this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please bring the snow.

Rain, no mas no mas

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve D said:

One year my brother in law put a stand up the afternoon before the opening of gun season. When he went in the next morning before daylight it was gone. That is one of the reasons I primarily use a climber. Every time I put a ladder stand up I chain it and lock it even on my own property. I bought four locks all keyed the same so I don't have to worry about which key goes to each lock.

Is he sure he didn't get lost?

That is crazy where do you hunt east St. Louis?

• Like 1

This was a hang on, I carry in climbing sticks with me to access it, someone must've had a climber or sticks of their own. Usually that little bit of deterrent is enough but not this time apparently.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, chrisw said:

This was a hang on, I carry in climbing sticks with me to access it, someone must've had a climber or sticks of their own. Usually that little bit of deterrent is enough but not this time apparently.

That sucks. Why someone has to steal tree stands when they are reasonably priced is beyond me. Crazy world we live in today.

About to climb down from my quick sit before work. Thought I’d share. My wife walked the dogs around 3pm yesterday. The dogs started to air scent. She saw the target buck for my property bed next to what she believes might be an early fawn from this year. Said Doe was really small. Anyway, they were in the hedgerow between out perimeter trail and the neighbor’s corn. The doe got up and stretched and meandered into the corn. The large buck then followed. She said they never spooked. They really must be used to seeing her walk the dogs. My question is.... when was seeking and chasing? He has her locked down already? Wtf!!! I’m not having a good archery season.

And a doe at about 120.  Thought about the Biz lob in but realized I am just a crappy ny hunter.  

Depends on body size. If that’s a Sheep or Goat, you get to 90 and lob it in. Assuming standard whitetail doe, probably want to get to 60yds. If recurve, I think much closer but I don’t know much about those.

8 minutes ago, CanastotaCamo said:

About to climb down from my quick sit before work. Thought I’d share. My wife walked the dogs around 3pm yesterday. The dogs started to air scent. She saw the target buck for my property bed next to what she believes might be an early fawn from this year. Said Doe was really small. Anyway, they were in the hedgerow between out perimeter trail and the neighbor’s corn. The doe got up and stretched and meandered into the corn. The large buck then followed. She said they never spooked. They really must be used to seeing her walk the dogs. My question is.... when was seeking and chasing? He has her locked down already? Wtf!!! I’m not having a good archery season.

I saw seeking, no chasing, and lockdown, weird. 

Ahhh man, I want to cry ... drew back my bow on my #1, big 10pt ... 30 yds and couldnt get a clear shot off before he took off after a doe...Man, that's the 1st time I've laid eyes on him this year ... he's put on some good mass and some height from last year! Cams only had him in velvet...now he's out of velvet ... thick, tall, tanish colored rack. He came in grunting behind 3 doe.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I had a crappy cable lock on my stickless set that got ganked a few years back...nothing but python cables now

Monkey climbing a tree and busting a cable lock is almost like earnin a $40 hang on I guess?

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

I'm prob going to regret this but I passed on a decent 8 at just under 30 yds...If I didn't see that 10 in the area earlier, I would have shot the 8. I'm second guessing that decision real hard right now. I think that lead doe the 10Pt was with was in heat or getting close. That 8Pt was sniffing all around where she was standing and ended up heading off in the direction she went...I think a good sign that the rut is finally turning on.

11 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Every buck I’ve seen the last couple times out, has been by itself , in what I consider seeking phase .

Same here Larry. Over the weekend and on monday, I saw a number of bucks. Every one of them were just cruising alone. By this weekend the chasing will be in full swing! The first hot doe's will also be ramping up buck activity big time! Saturday is the 10th, what I call the "magic day". Looks to be right on time this year!!

• Like 3

I’ll be out all day “ The Magic Day” and bit the next few . At this point I’ll be tempted by the first decent buck .

Im with Paul,I’d prefer to use my compound , but can’t draw it , cross bow, big ,heavy, can’t hold it tight to tree for shots behind stand and so on . I will take a 30 yard shot though, compound I seldom shoot much over 20 .

The real key is I can actually shoot it .....

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

A spike decided to make a donation to my freezer 15 mins after legal. First take with a recurve. #recurveontheground. Will post story on archery harvest thread once I get on train. No time for Ansell Adams photo, had to field dress and head to office. aff09f46efa54e46802b7f028d4e2775.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 33

1 minute ago, tarheel95 said:

A spike decided to make a donation to my freezer 15 mins after legal. First take with a recurve. #recurveontheground. Will post story on archery harvest thread once I get on train. No time for Ansell Adams photo, had to field dress and head to office. aff09f46efa54e46802b7f028d4e2775.jpg

Congrats on the nice buck with the curve.  

9 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

Tradition! So sweet! #Quicksit

Edited by OtiscoPaul