LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

42 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Haha, I’ll never make an excuse for a buck I shoot and hate hearing the I thought he was bigger but I will say there was some ground shrinkage. I was poking my way on the top of a big ravine and heard crashing looked down seen a doe running and a white rack behind her she brought him by at 25yds I yelled he stopped and I shot him. I knew he wasn’t a giant but I didn’t expect to see that. I was shaking like a leaf after, it was an exciting hunt and I watched him die, couldn’t be happier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh yeah man I know the ground shrinkage feeling all too well. But with just a week left I wouldn't have hesitated either. Any buck kill with a bow is a trophy, especially if you've been putting in your time. That feeling is exactly how I felt after a much smaller 4 I took last year. Couldn't have been happier and didn't give a flying flock what anyone else thought. Such a great feeling to make a good clean kill and punch that archery tag.

• Like 1

So I received my $175 crossbow kit yesterday.  The compound/recurve/xbow trifecta will happen this weekend.  Time to sight it in tonight.  Should I start at 100yds and work out from there?  Biz?

Depends on where you want your zero. I like mine to be 25yds. I hold a tad low at like 15yds and a tad high at 35yds. I need to hold 6-7” high at 40yds. My scope has the chevrons designed to be 20, 30, 40, 50 yds. But I don’t like scopes like that so I just hold high or low accordingly.

22 minutes ago, Belo said:

oh yeah man I know the ground shrinkage feeling all too well. But with just a week left I wouldn't have hesitated either. Any buck kill with a bow is a trophy, especially if you've been putting in your time. That feeling is exactly how I felt after a much smaller 4 I took last year. Couldn't have been happier and didn't give a flying flock what anyone else thought. Such a great feeling to make a good clean kill and punch that archery tag.

I have the opposite problem...

I have a hard time spotting antlers unless they are really tall and white or over 80"s or so...

I kinda balked on a possible shot before I fully ID'd the doe I was stalking this am and that was under 35yds

Burnt an archery bucktag on weird tiny half rack and I've also burnt a regular tag on a spike at 80 (I shoot open sights)...

thought both were doe...Im much more thorough when it's only antlerless tags in my pocket I guess.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

39 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So I received my $175 crossbow kit yesterday.  The compound/recurve/xbow trifecta will happen this weekend.  Time to sight it in tonight.  Should I start at 100yds and work out from there?  Biz?

So am I gonna be the only tool out there with my compound while the rest of yuns are peering through optics and ever-drawn?  Jeez even my xbow has archery sights I used to think I was pretty cool.

That's fine I'm still even trying to get it done Fred Bizear style en terrafirma.

Just a preview of Late Bow...Excuse me I mean ML.

• Like 3

My dad is out now and I am outta work in a bit to join him.....no xbow's for us......we are starting the #compoundfromthesky movement this afternoon.
I real nice buck was taken a few lots over last night....he was the #2 on the block.....hope #1 shows himself tonight!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

So am I gonna be the only tool out there with my compound while the rest of yuns are peering through optics and ever-drawn?

Don't worry, you're not alone- I'm another one that doesn't shoot crossgun. When late bow/ML season rolls around I keep it vertical.

So stupid....got my scents out, freshened my scrapes, got in the blind, opened my shooting windows, loaded my bow, just got settled, saw a stick in my way outside my blind and reached out to break it off, and there he was, a nice 8. AND THEN he was gone....stupid....stupid...stupid me.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

So am I gonna be the only tool out there with my compound while the rest of yuns are peering through optics and ever-drawn?  Jeez even my xbow has archery sights I used to think I was pretty cool.

That's fine I'm still even trying to get it done Fred Bizear style en terrafirma.

Just a preview of Late Bow...Excuse me I mean ML.

I just couldn't resist trying for a kill with all types of archery implements this season - only reason I sprang for the xbow since I was 2/3 there already.   But trust me I like the simple bow the best.

28 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Depends on where you want your zero. I like mine to be 25yds. I hold a tad low at like 15yds and a tad high at 35yds. I need to hold 6-7” high at 40yds. My scope has the chevrons designed to be 20, 30, 40, 50 yds. But I don’t like scopes like that so I just hold high or low accordingly.

I assume I am more like an 18" drop from 20-40.  This is el cheapo 320fps xbow.  Will test her out shortly. 

• Like 1

818a03b6a8ad4c211970c38a179a1374.jpg90a16da76332ca052a4ffff869905d92.jpg

Set up about 100 yards away from last eve’s stand, close to where those doe came out of the pines. Same wind from the west, but a bit stronger, so let’s see what happens.

Oh, and there appears to be a scrape under a pine licking branch. First sign of it being Bucky up my way in 4L. The dirt looks muddy.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Out in yard working on skidsteer and small doe came by at 10 yds and stood there checking back trail. Little spike with just one tiny antler came along sniffing all the way.

I'm not sure either really knows what they are doing but instinct will help out.

She headed doe the valley toward a stand I have with him in tow and they kicked up a red fox as I watched in binoculars. That fox has become a regular here and see him often.

May blow off what I'm working on to see if a bigger boy comes along to check out the commotion.

• Like 1

Considered getting a decoy for the past few years. After my sit this morning, I really think that would have brought that big buck in for a shot yesterday. He was only 80 yards away, but it was so windy that he couldn't hear my grunts. The wind was wrong, so he wasn't downwind of my estrus scent either. Think if I had a visual aid out there, it would have made all the difference. Decided to run out and get a decoy. Yeah, it's suppose to be a little buck, but I just didn't put the antlers on! 'Tis the season for love, not fighting!! LOL

We'll see how it goes....e6fc27bba1b627e4c877b83be109f6ec.jpg2fe37fc1e2a174ebeb2d87a9140d0b99.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

My walk to my stand got interesting today. Walking along the creek when I hear something coming down the hill towards me. I crouch down and nock an arrow when a dog comes trotting out of the brush. He trots over to me and sniffs around a bit before trotting off into the brush again. Looking back up the hill I see a guy coming after the dog. I ask him what’s up and he says he and the dog are tracking a deer that was hit yesterday. I tried to talk with him but he hurried off in a different direction than the dog went. As I (slowly) processed what just happened I realized that the guy was carrying a rifle. I don’t know the particulars of tracking with a dog but I smell fish on this one.

Now I’m hoping that he and his dog send some deer running my way.