LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Finally had a dandy buck come in straight downwind. He stops dead at 30 head on turns and starts walking away. I grunt him he stops at 35 ish quartering away. I rush knowing he ain’t sticking around and yank the trigger I never pulled a shot so bad. The scope moved in front of my eye! I was 100% positive I missed but the ground is so soft I lost the bolt so I quadruple checked for hair/ blood for an hour.

He was a nice 8 I think 2.5-4.5 yo tall rack. Not huge but a dandy.

I am not worthy!

emoji22.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries.  His older brother will be back.  Or maybe you missed by a wide enough margin that he will be back.  Hang in there!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Finally had a dandy buck come in straight downwind. He stops dead at 30 head on turns and starts walking away. I grunt him he stops at 35 ish quartering away. I rush knowing he ain’t sticking around and yank the trigger I never pulled a shot so bad. The scope moved in front of my eye! I was 100% positive I missed but the ground is so soft I lost the bolt so I quadruple checked for hair/ blood for an hour.

He was a nice 8 I think 2.5-4.5 yo tall rack. Not huge but a dandy.

I am not worthy!

emoji22.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did the same damn thing last week brother!  sucks.  Hope he makes that same track in front of you again, he wont get lucky a second time! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Snowing good here in pembroke good luck guys and gals. 

20181109_083350.jpg

I will be hunting your way tomorrow just outside of Batavia at my cousin's on the SW side of Batavia... hoping for some good snow cover.. Live in Rochester however Batavia area seems to get hammered simultaneously with Buffalo..

11 hours ago, goosifer said:

You know, I think that was a mistake I made. In retrospect, along the blood trail there were several spots where the blood was heavy in like a 4" circle. That must of been where it was laying down and we pushed it. To make it worse, the light bulb didn't go off that it was a liver hit until we were well on the trail. Shameful. May others learn from my mistakes.

I do think, though, that even if we hadn't pushed it, we may have ultimately ended up with a blood trail that ended with a deer, but the deer wouldn't have been intact.

I know others have already chimed in on this. I really hope you are out there looking for that deer this morning. I lost my first archery deer. Had great blood for about 75 yds and it just disappeared. This was in the morning. I looked for two or three hours by myself and then 6 of the guys that are on the lease with me looked for the whole rest of the day. We never found another speck of blood but we followed every deer trail we could find for hundreds of yards looking for blood. We grid searched the whole day until dark through some of the thickest nastiest thickets and prickers. Some you had to push backwards through. The next morning when I was in my treestand it was bothering me so much that I wounded a deer that I wasn't sure I could shoot another one. About an hour after daylight I got down and looked again for the whole day. I felt like I covered every square inch of 500 yds in every direction. I was sick over losing that deer. That was 5 years ago and it still bothers me today. I think about that deer every time I draw my bow making the best shot I can now cause I don't want that to ever happen to me again. They say everyone will lose a deer and you try to learn from it. But I got to tell you, and don't get me wrong, I know it is hard to read feelings into text but it doesn't feel like you are that worried about losing that deer.  You seem content to just let it lie and get back to hunting again and that is bothersome. I hope you get out there and look until you feel like there isn't one other thing you can do to find that deer and then you look again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went out this morning before the front rolled in. Jumped 2 in one location and 1 in another location on the way in. Saw a nice big doe at 40 yards in the thick stuff but she wouldn't come out. Nice morning that I wish could have lasted longer.

The $40.00 boots from tractor supply have been good so far. Wish now I would have bought two pair. The forecast doesn't sound good for the next few days so I will wait and see what happens.

IMG_20181109_082300[1].jpg

IMG_20181109_082311[1].jpg

• Like 3

I missed a doe this morning.  Flat out missed.  I think I severely misjudged the distance.  I’ll be replaying that in my head all week.

Lots of action in the woods from sunrise until 9:30 when I came down.  Two different bucks were trailing does.  Sure feels like deer season.

Well after a 2 1/2 hr tracking job where we were seeing little pencil eraser size blood droplets every 5 to 10 yrds we eventually came to posted property. The posted signs do not have a name on them and are spaced way to far apart I believe they are spaced like every 200 yrds. Even know the land is not properly posted I'm not going to trespass. I had to head home as I still got a blower to pickup and if I don't get some sleep I won't be working tonight. My son stayed up there and is trying to find out who's land it is to ask permission to look. Got to give him lots of credit for not giving up but I don't believe the Deer is mortality wounded with that little off blood loss. He will check in with me later hoping he somehow finds it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, njg0621 said:

Grunted this absolute monster in! 

3pt.jpg

My hunting partner grunted in a spike this morning from over 100 yards to 10 yards. Said he kept looking all around trying to find the other "buck" he heard. Said it was very entertaining! 

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Went out this morning before the front rolled in. Jumped 2 in one location and 1 in another location on the way in. Saw a nice big doe at 40 yards in the thick stuff but she wouldn't come out. Nice morning that I wish could have lasted longer.

The $40.00 boots from tractor supply have been good so far. Wish now I would have bought two pair. The forecast doesn't sound good for the next few days so I will wait and see what happens.

IMG_20181109_082300[1].jpg

IMG_20181109_082311[1].jpg

Lol

I said the same thing this week when I tried mine out.  Thanks for the tip on buying them. Good boots for that price for sure.

Edited by Robhuntandfish

live from my desk at work.. wet snow/rain in Rochester... hoping it turns to snow tonight as the temps drop.. nice to see all of you guys seeing buck action/breeding/chasing.. got a fresh bottle of antler ice estrous to use first thing in the morning!! Good luck all

Congrats on a real nice buck Bowshotmuzzleloader!

and WNY Bowhunter... Sweet Jesus!

It's nice to see that the activity seems to be picking up out there.

Moog - a few years back I picked up the Carbon Express X Force Advantex. It's fun to shoot, although I had some trouble early on. The string broke on my second shot. I also had an issue with the top of the rail where it comes in contact with the string. In both cases their customer service was fantastic and they sent me some freebies for the trouble. Haven't had an issue since then.

Up here in 4L, the wind is confused, so so am I. Finally decided to sit an area I haven’t sat in a few weeks, but deer have sometimes come in from behind me.

Normally by this time of year, the ground is scraped up, and saplings are rubbed up. Nothing so far this year, though.

Hope I don’t fall asleep to the sound of the creek.

bca9115e676387d0f5f7cf902ec381af.jpg

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grampy said:

My hunting partner grunted in a spike this morning from over 100 yards to 10 yards. Said he kept looking all around trying to find the other "buck" he heard. Said it was very entertaining! 

That was the same exact thing that happened to me! He came in from way out and wouldn't leave.  I'd let him get like 80yds out hit the grunt and he would come running back in!