LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

Well it happened this morning. Was windy when I got In the stand. Then at about 7 am it went calm. Looked across the creek and up the side hill and saw a good sized deer walking within 10 yards of my buddy’s stand. Oh did I mention he slept in this morning and didn’t come? Looked through binos and it had a decent rack. He is about 200 yards away or better. I hit the grunt call and he turns and starts that bristled stiff legged walk towards me. I had my crossbow. Seemed like forever for him to cover that ground but he came in a straight line towards me. Got to the path I walked I. And started sniffing twigs I had rubbed against walking in. But he kept coming. 25 yards and he turned broadside to walk up a path. Shot. He bolted for aboutaadbd06612fed72631535527b5d89340.jpg&key=998001d9b6809bd63f7f459c3eeb030b861b6c2a64300f51d044e9fad7128ac57dd30152e60caebf22d8b5a5f2f10964.jpg&key=5813bd887bc8241d6e72169fcee72d8aa962d351c9f481a78511d8de7db77d54 40 yards through the thick crap and I saw him stand for a few seconds and then walk off. Gave him and hour and he was down about 15’ from the last I saw him. b4de02475a3673f00a30962973db6f91.jpg&key=15e92ed8853598eb13fdc5fde8bb5dfa3869373c46f7d7cc1c43a5ca378978b7

Congrats! Great buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well it happened this morning. Was windy when I got In the stand. Then at about 7 am it went calm. Looked across the creek and up the side hill and saw a good sized deer walking within 10 yards of my buddy’s stand. Oh did I mention he slept in this morning and didn’t come? Looked through binos and it had a decent rack. He is about 200 yards away or better. I hit the grunt call and he turns and starts that bristled stiff legged walk towards me. I had my crossbow. Seemed like forever for him to cover that ground but he came in a straight line towards me. Got to the path I walked I. And started sniffing twigs I had rubbed against walking in. But he kept coming. 25 yards and he turned broadside to walk up a path. Shot. He bolted for aboutaadbd06612fed72631535527b5d89340.jpg7dd30152e60caebf22d8b5a5f2f10964.jpg 40 yards through the thick crap and I saw him stand for a few seconds and then walk off. Gave him and hour and he was down about 15’ from the last I saw him. b4de02475a3673f00a30962973db6f91.jpg

Great job Bob !

Now I’m really upset I went back to bed this morning too ......

Heading down soon .

• Like 2

9H Attica, we were getting pounded early, almost left to meet a buddy at Darien where it wasnt snowing at all he said...He actually text me around 830am, "What a peaceful quiet morning". I thought he was be sarcastic with me. I was like O Yea, it's great out right now. Hahaha. Owell, it slowed down now. So just staying here.... In for lunch and trying to decide what stand I want to use with this wind for afternoon hunt. 3de77511bb4459993b84b65e8d3f1d3f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hunter716 said:

9H Attica, we were getting pounded early, almost left to meet a buddy at Darien where it wasnt snowing at all he said...He actually text me around 830am, "What a peaceful quiet morning". I thought he was be sarcastic with me. I was like O Yea, it's great out right now. Hahaha. Owell, it slowed down now. So just staying here.... In for lunch and trying to decide what stand I want to use with this wind for afternoon hunt. 3de77511bb4459993b84b65e8d3f1d3f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m headed your way shortly for the afternoon sit. 

48 minutes ago, E J said:

Mmmmm balls for lunch. Sounds delicious! I'm honestly not sure if your serious or kidding. I try to get as much meat off my deer as I can but the nuts are a bit too far for me.

I have been binge watching "Meateater" lately he and ate those, from an antelope, in the episode I watched last night.   Those from the bb were not bad, but nothing special, basically leaving me hungry, so I pulled the tongue (he eats those also), and cut off part of the liver and fried that too. No reason not to since the frying pan was already dirty.   The tongue was tiny and the skin on it was tough and chewy but the liver was good as usual.  Again, I was left wanting more, so I pulled the tenderloins and just finished those.  Those may be the best I have ever had - beef or deer.    Now I am stuffed and ready to sit in the stand until dark.   I would put the total weight of the "parts" that I have consumed so far at slightly less than a pound.  That should leave more than 50 on the carcass to share with the wife and kids, per the PA chart.      

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

CONGRATS to all who dropped em today. 

Didn't see a damn thing this morn. Except I think I saw Jesus a couple of times hanging on in my tree stand.  

Gonna go back out in pm and #groundbizit. 

Robhuntandfish I am rooting for you.You have been putting your time this year and the stars have not line for you yet. Let me tell you my season to this point was terrible.  Jesus answers prayers man.

Edited by WWJD_Hunter
  • Thanks 1

Doe recovered and back in stand.  Quick Wendy’s burger with Phade.  Fingers crossed for him.  

For all the xbow shooters, I used some cheap nap mechanical 3 blades from amazon.  $14 for 3.   Left a huge hole.   She only went 50-60yds.  Nice head for the $$$$.

• Like 3

Great morning sit. Saw a pile of bucks. Got this guys pic cause he followed me in and made it difficult to get up, in and settled. Had big guy hiding out holding a doe hostage. I couldn't make out his rack. Seemed like forever but she finally came my way, ranged her at 28, he finally came out of the thick stuff, saw decent rack....he kept coming....I put him in the scope....mehhhh.....he stopped, and I passed. Great looking deer. Awesome encounter, but not coming home with me.

Also saw a deer swim the creek today. Potentially one of the coolest/craziest/dumbest things I've seen a buck do in the rut.

Great morning !!

db75e76340b69c95eb141748f21ef596.jpg1b75eefa5e661c9ba88f74a5141f8853.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Doe recovered and back in stand.  Quick Wendy’s burger with Phade.  Fingers crossed for him.  

For all the xbow shooters, I used some cheap nap mechanical 3 blades from amazon.  $14 for 3.   Left a huge hole.   She only went 50-60yds.  Nice head for the $$$$.

I usually get fries with my burger .

At spot, Rockspec not far away good movement all day on cell camera.

So I should tag out in an hour or so . 

5 deer before I Even sat down 

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, this 5 hour blizzard has probably ended bow season for me. Just when things were starting to pick up too. It will be gun and ground hunting from here on out. Winter has arrived! 

I am gonna try one more bow on bucket seat hunt by the Golden Rod bedding later this evening. I know deer do not move during the day through heavy fresh snow.

Edited by Papist