LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

Checked cams today and sighted in 3 rifles my 308, my 35 rem, and my cousins 243. He’s lucky I was paying attention. Right after he sighted in the 243 I noticed the scope was moving a little. He never put lock tight on the ring screws and it was all out of wack. I guess that’s what he gets for buying a cheap scope rifle combo from a big box store lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Pains me to say this, but I CHOKED this morning and missed one of the bucks that I've been after! I couldn't believe that I actually laid eyes on him for the first time, other than trailcam pics. That SOB had me shaking!! I looked over and saw him 80 yards away, just staring at my doe decoy! That's what brought him to me, as he was heading in the opposite direction! He slowly made his way to the decoy. I had it all planned out in my head when I would be drawing and shooting. When he got to 30 yards, he unexpectedly veered off the path. I wasn't sure if he was just going to circle and get downwind of the decoy or if he lost interest. I panicked, and without realizing it, just rushed the shot and didn't follow through! I launched the arrow and it took some hair off of the top of his back! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Oh well, so thankful I didn't wound or draw blood, not even a spec! 

I'm fessing up! No unseen twig that deflected my arrow, NO using the wrong pin, NO ducking the arrow, NO jumping the string, NO mis-judging distance! Just plain 'ole Buck Fever I guess, after 40 years of hunting!!!  :D  It took me 44 hunts to lay eyes on him, I FINALLY get the opportunity, and I CHOKE!!!!!! :pardon:

May our paths cross again some day..... you lucky SOB!!! 

125225.jpg

Sounds like my morning.saw a doe cruising 80 yards n saw something trailing.grunted n came right at me.8pt.not big but a shooter for my area.flew right by me n went into field.grunted again and he grunted back.came in behind me with no shot again.grunted and he grunted back.came in a perfect broadside shot at 18 yards.dropped my bow hand!!!!!!!white hair and blood no arrow.he bolted off prob 60 yards then started walking hunched with tail straight out.waited 2 hrs and started walking slowly.drops of blood and little piles prob 4" in diameter.followed 150-200 yards till hit property line issues and don't want to push him due to poor hit.marked it on huntstand app and know where last blood is.its been eating me up all damn day bad,replaying everything over and over.dont have a yote issue in area as I know of.have never seen one.took off work tomorrow and heading back out there first thing in morning with cousin.neighbor across street knows people on next rd over.told me to give him a call if I need more access as he's friends with then.as I was standing there these 2 cruised right by at 40 yards like nothing.sorry for sideways pic

20181111_091602.jpg

• Like 1

Well..at 4:20 pm I passed up my first 3 year old Buck . It was pretty hard to be honest, given the lack luster season thus far. But...I was committed to a 4yr old or better and that's what I need from this season. 

So, we just had 10 inches of snow and this always negatively impacts deer movement. They tend to stick to 2 or 3 heavy Hemlock stands and barely venture out. They are very difficult to creep up on with bow, the largest such stand is in the neighbors also. I scouted early afternoon and discovered that some night time action indicated deer coming down from the neighbors and just scooting over the property line before doubling back into the Hemlocks. I figured, if there was to be any chance at all, I would have to set-up on this edge and hope something came out before last light. The only stand I felt like moving was about 600 yards away, downhill. I had looked at moving it yesterday, knowing the developing situation, but all the ratchets were frozen solid. Today's Sun warmed them a little and I was able to get 'em loose. I carried this stand and my bow on my shoulders, uphill in deep snow. There was several expletives dropped along the way as I cursed the weather for making me go through this. I got to a stand of maple near the property edge where the tracks came over. Mostly young trees and not much cover. I picked a tree that would give me the best cover from the expected angle of entry. There was a small spruce in front of it which helped a little, but I could just see over it. 

I lost one of the ratchets on the carry up. Tried searching for it, but to no avail. I still had two straps, and this was enough to get the stand stable. Just before sitting I made a quick jaunt to another stand over some mature Oaks. I wanted to check for feeding activity. There was nothing going on by this stand. Not even squirrel tracks. Time was running out, it was already almost 4. I returned to the previous stand, just erected, and settled in for the last 45 minutes or so. 10 minutes after getting in I see a deer coming down through the neighbors trees. At first it seemed like a nice Doe...then I see horn but it looks small. I thought it was the local Spiker that haunts this edge. But, as the beast clears the trees and passes into the property, I realize it is a 3 year old, 8 points,nice tine length but not much mass. Outside the ears to. A pretty decent deer. At this point he is looking to come by my favored side at about 20 yards. I'm thinking I might just shoot this deer. He stops at the edge of the tree-line. Looks around into our more open area. I get the sense he may turn around and head back to cover, but no, he makes a 45 degree bee-line right for my stand. As he is coming up behind the spruce tree I think about drawing back but decide I want one more good look before finalizing my decision. He is now about 12 yards. He comes into 5 yards, stops to nibble a beech leaf and actually eyeballs me for a second. I am hiding behind my bow now, making like a tree limb. He seems unconcerned and starts to eat more leaves. At this point I have realized, as nice as he is, the antler mass was not there and so I go to reach for my phone to take a pic. I was a bit too fast in my movement and he spooked and skipped back into the treeline. He went close to one of my cameras, but sadly the angle did not pick him up. I don't think I have him on cam at all in fact.

I felt good about the pass, but the evening was perfect, sunny, wind in my face and 32 degrees.It would have been a memorable kill. I know there are bigger boys running around and there is still plenty of hunting to be had. This was something of a one-off stand move however due to the poor cover. Hopefully a thaw means I can return to another location this coming week as the deer venture forth once again.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 5

Amazing a fellow can tell a 3.5 year old from a 4.5 year old on the hoof.  Heck, biologists have a hard time looking at lower jaws. 

Good on you for passing a 3.5 year old, not many would if they knew he was that age.  Hopefully your camera gets some pics of him, love to see him.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Amazing a fellow can tell a 3.5 year old from a 4.5 year old on the hoof.  Heck, biologists have a hard time looking at lower jaws. 

Good on you for passing a 3.5 year old, not many would if they knew he was that age.  Hopefully your camera gets some pics of him, love to see him.

Go fugg yourself. I have killed a nice 4 year old, two 3 year olds , and several 2 years olds in my time. I know exactly what to look for and I know exactly what I am looking at in terms of body size and antler mass. Can't believe I took you off ignore to waste these thoughts on your old negative azz.

In any case, this deer did not fit my own personal standards for the season. End off. 

Lawd, here are a couple of handy charts for aging deer on the hoof. Maybe one of your home help people could get them laminated for you. You could put a string through 'em and carry 'em into the woods? 

aging-deer.jpg

71NNW-YKy1L._SX425_.jpg

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

Great time in the woods this morning hunting with grampy!  We had some action before daylight, but yotes may have scattered the deer on us.  All in all, a great hunt with a great guy!

Gave my home turf a shot for the pm, but the neighbor's kids apparently had another football party and their non-stop yelling echoed through the woods right til closing time.  0-fer-6 in home sits now.  I'm headed back out tomorrow am before work, but don't have a clue which spot to play.  Only have a few more days to punch this xbow ticket!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I card 'em first...only way to really know

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since things seem to be a bit testy, I’ll try to lighten the mood. Sat the entry trail to the far side of my swamp this morning. At the same exact time, this dude is taking selfies on the near side of swamp closest to house. Less than 80 yards away, but no view between two points. I age him at 1 year 7 months 15 days 45 seconds and counting.... because I can’t seem to see a darn deer in the hoof!!!WGI_0001.thumb.jpg.7ca84c2a047dd057164fb256ab861175.jpg

WGI_0002.thumb.jpg.1e83ca4df0a31d3ec7ceb9f77487347f.jpgWGI_0004.thumb.jpg.8e9b26b8b7d99d8484b2172b2d57e212.jpgWGI_0004.thumb.jpg.22037e5b96dcc6bc649a120995df3690.jpg

WGI_0003.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CanastotaCamo said:

Since things seem to be a bit testy, I’ll try to lighten the mood. Sat the entry trail to the far side of my swamp this morning. At the same exact time, this dude is taking selfies on the near side of swamp closest to house. Less than 80 yards away, but no view between two points. I age him at 1 year 7 months 15 days 45 seconds and counting.... because I can’t seem to see a darn deer in the hoof!!!WGI_0001.thumb.jpg.7ca84c2a047dd057164fb256ab861175.jpg

WGI_0002.thumb.jpg.1e83ca4df0a31d3ec7ceb9f77487347f.jpgWGI_0004.thumb.jpg.8e9b26b8b7d99d8484b2172b2d57e212.jpgWGI_0004.thumb.jpg.22037e5b96dcc6bc649a120995df3690.jpg

WGI_0003.jpg

He could be a 5 year old. There is simply no way to tell from looking at him. Lawdwaz has duly informed us now that even science has trouble on these matters. Guessing is simply not option now that that the deer aging-cop has showed up.

Edited by Papist

There's guys putting balls in their mouth and were gonna bother to argue about aging deer on the hoof ?

My night was great but painful. Had a doe come out with a mature in tow....but he just walked off. Then another doe came out and a giant ran her right back into the thick stuff. Got her locked down. Hoping he lets her eat in the am, then I'll let the ghost eat.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Papist said:

Go fugg yourself. I have killed a nice 4 year old, two 3 year olds , and several 2 years olds in my time. I know exactly what to look for and I know exactly what I am looking at in terms of body size and antler mass. Can't believe I took you off ignore to waste these thoughts on your old negative azz.

In any case, this deer did not fit my own personal standards for the season. End off. 

Lawd, here are a couple of handy charts for aging deer on the hoof. Maybe one of your home help people could get them laminated for you. You could put a string through 'em and carry 'em into the woods? 

aging-deer.jpg

71NNW-YKy1L._SX425_.jpg

So you know the age of the deer you've killed huh, how'd you determine that?

Was it just by your fancy card or did you have a biologist age them by tooth wear?

You are so full of it isn't funny...........

8 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

So you know the age of the deer you've killed huh, how'd you determine that?

Looks like I got pulled over and azz-raped by the deer-aging cops. Be warned folks. This guy takes no prisoners. Let there be no more 'how old is this deer' threads from here on out. The deer-age cop is watching and he is PIZZED OFF! 

Heed my advice Lawdwaz. Take up shuffle board or yatzi or something and make better use of your time.

Edited by Papist

Tracked that hoss about another mile, bleeding hard the whole time.  Then he doubled back on his own trail, and shook us.  Maybe I only single lunged him.  Spent the day with my dad, got another story , saw a bunch of new territory.  He bled SO MUCH at the end of the trail then it just stopped.  Wish I hadn't nudged him last night .  Idiot.

• Sad 1

Sounds like my morning.saw a doe cruising 80 yards n saw something trailing.grunted n came right at me.8pt.not big but a shooter for my area.flew right by me n went into field.grunted again and he grunted back.came in behind me with no shot again.grunted and he grunted back.came in a perfect broadside shot at 18 yards.dropped my bow hand!!!!!!!white hair and blood no arrow.he bolted off prob 60 yards then started walking hunched with tail straight out.waited 2 hrs and started walking slowly.drops of blood and little piles prob 4" in diameter.followed 150-200 yards till hit property line issues and don't want to push him due to poor hit.marked it on huntstand app and know where last blood is.its been eating me up all damn day bad,replaying everything over and over.dont have a yote issue in area as I know of.have never seen one.took off work tomorrow and heading back out there first thing in morning with cousin.neighbor across street knows people on next rd over.told me to give him a call if I need more access as he's friends with then.as I was standing there these 2 cruised right by at 40 yards like nothing.sorry for sideways pic
20181111_091602.thumb.jpg.a10876245c4e686afa28a5bc7cbcfb39.jpg

You gut shot it or at least it sounds that way. What part of the state are you in? Call deer search they will find it