LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

15 minutes ago, grampy said:

Day two of no deer seen. Changed set up from yesterday, same result. It's crazy. Until the snow fell, was seeing deer most every sit. Usually after the snow they are very active here. Strange season so far.

Too much snow for them?

Saw a few non shooter does yesterday and at last light today but overall this was one of the worst weekends since Bow started,only around 10 shots heard all of yesterday and today here in 9H.  Congrats to all of those that filled a tag this weekend!!.

1 minute ago, grampy said:

So the deer are here. Just seems like for whatever reason, they flipped the switch to nocturnal?

Happened here last year also. I have a theory on that but it would be a new topic to bring to light probably after the season if I can remember or someone reminds me. Seems to be the trend over the last few years along with seeing more and more deer looking up as though it is a natural thing to do when they never use to.

So I owe the state of NY $ for the tree I shot today instead of the doe I was aiming at!

20 yards and from the same stand I missed that nice buck in bow. I have now named that stand the Stand of MISSfortune even though it’s operator error.

Not my year lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

No sightings by anyone tonight. That's it for my Rut-Cation 15 hunts and 20 deer sightings this week but since my freezer was full I was being more picky than normal. I still had a great time. Back to work tomorrow taking a little 3 day break to recharge from hunting will be back at it hard the long Thanksgiving day weekend. Congrats to any that harvested today.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So I owe the state of NY $ for the tree I shot today instead of the doe I was aiming at!emoji1785.pngemoji1745.pngemoji3603.png

20 yards and from the same stand I missed that nice buck in bow. I have now named that stand the Stand of MISSfortune even though it’s operator error.

Not my year lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clippers and a chainsaw are your friend 

55 minutes ago, grampy said:

I don't think so. We've hunted in much more. Got a lot of tracks. Made during darkness. So the deer are here. Just seems like for whatever reason, they flipped the switch to nocturnal?

Yup same here. Yesterday morning fresh tracks in the snow everywhere. Saw a bunch of deer in the morning and connected on one. Nothing in the afternoon. Walk in today and no fresh tracks, saw 4 single doe from dark to 2pm. 

26 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Moon phases. They are doing the same here.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

Been seeing deer, and some decent bucks right up to when the snow flew. As I said, the deer are still here. See fresh tracks in the morning, and still getting them on cams at night. We are set up outside of the bedding where there are tons of tracks. Just no daytime movement, to or from those areas right now.

Not crying the blues here at all!!! Still enjoying every day hunting! Still going out there every chance I get. If I get a deer fine. If I don't that's fine too. Just trying to adjust to what the deer are giving us right now. And as we all know, things can change in an instant, in the deer woods.

Getting a thrill, seeing all the nice deer killed the last couple days! Way to go guys and gals!

Congratulations to ALL the successful hunters!!!

For all of us still working at it, we got a ways to go, and it's never over till its over. Good Luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

Too much snow for them?

Just now, grampy said:

Maybe that has something to do with it?

Been seeing deer, and some decent bucks right up to when the snow flew. As I said, the deer are still here. See fresh tracks in the morning, and still getting them on cams at night. We are set up outside of the bedding where there are tons of tracks. Just no daytime movement, to or from those areas right now.

Not crying the blues here at all!!! Still enjoying every day hunting! Still going out there every chance I get. If I get a deer fine. If I don't that's fine too. Just trying to adjust to what the deer are giving us right now. And as we all know, things can change in an instant, in the deer woods.

Getting a thrill, seeing all the nice deer killed the last couple days! Way to go guys and gals!

Congratulations to ALL the successful hunters!!!

For all of us still working at it, we got a ways to go, and it's never over till its over. Good Luck!

Seeing exactly the same thing here Grampy…. Not just me....Most  of my friends are having the same lack of deer...

I am talking  15 or 20 experienced hunters, among whom usually have a dozen or more deer down the first couple of days.

This year the score is ZERO, so far..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have hunted on a friend's land in 4 O this weekend with a work buddy that has only been hunting for three years.  After 3 years and $30, my buddy finally drew a doe tag. Unfortunately, he hasn't seen a deer in the first two days. Yesterday, I was in deer pretty good in the morning, so I sat him there this morning. i moved over in the area he was sitting yesterday. Wouldn't you know it, I'm in deer again,  he sees nothing. He has only shot one small buck in his hunting career so he is already getting nervous because he has to work the next three days. I told him it is a long season, and we will get him on a deer or two.

Like other areas, very few hunters, and even fewer shots. I believe we have only heard one shot even remotely in our area. Sad state the way hunting is just fading away more every year. If you can get a man or woman in the woods and show them a little success, they are often hooked for life. Seems tougher every year to find new hunters.

Congratulations to all the hunters whether they got big bucks, little bucks, or does. Enjoy the time in the woods and enjoy the fun with friends and family.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Day two of no deer seen. Changed set up from yesterday, same result. It's crazy. Until the snow fell, was seeing deer most every sit. Usually after the snow they are very active here. Strange season so far.

I've seen lots of evidence of yarded does already so it is feast or famine in that situation...

Hopefully they move tomorrow before the real cold gets here 

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Saw 3 small doe at my place this AM. Afternoon at friends land, maybe two minutes on stand ,he shoots a very nice buck at 25 yards, broadside , it kicks and flat out runs, gets down, blood spraying out of each side, deer falls twice, heavy blood the whole way ..... To the posted land , friend stops , goes a few steps ,guy yells, he explains , guy won’t let him come get his deer .

• Sad 2