LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

The boy did good, missed under on his first shot at @30 and then nailed it on the second and put it right down with a shot to the heart and lungs from his 7-08 with my hand loads. He was with my bother who has a streak of being with guys on their first deer. My brother said he was breathing hard like it was his first lol. Awesome morning. 

• Like 7

Well saw 11.  One as i walked in at 6 huge body no idea what was on its head. Then i popped in to see the land owners and shoot the bull before heading home to get ready for dinnner and 10 bust through his pasture and onto someone elses land. Worst part just got done walking where they came out 5 mins before they came through.  So im at almost 30 deer since wed.  Their neighbor shot the one that i believe was wrecking the trees he wasnt home but i guess its a massive 9.  Saw 1 all last year and that was the one i took at 710 opening morning.  Congrats to those that punched tags today im done until middat tomorrow or tomorrow night.

16 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

No useable signal from the tower stand tonight. I'll start off with Arrgh! Out with my grandson tonight in the tower stand. Have two doe walking up my side hill woods at about 140-ish yards. It was close to last legal time, maybe 4:30. Figured we'd take the larger one and I'd still have a buck tag left. Boom, watched it get rocked through the scope, and watched it bolt like it wasn't hit. Waited 10 mins and got down. No hair, no blood, nada. Losing light, tried to pick up tracks, but there's tracks everywhere in there. 20 different trails on the route she took. I watched her run through the woods for about 150 yds, though she did look like she may have gotten squirrely just as I lost sight of her. We walked to where we could glass down the hill to see if we could spot her, but was too dark down there. Decided to back out and not risk pushing her down to that same deep creek bed that my daughter's buck went to. Snow is crunchy and loud. Out at first light for the search. 

This wasn't quite the plan exactly. Hope she's 50 more yards down the hill! Arrrgh!

IMG_2991.JPG

Bada-bing. Was laying 30 yards from where I last saw it and from where I thought she got wobbly on her run. We were standing within 30 yards of her whe we backed out. No blood until the last 10 yards.

Double lunged her after all. Zero varmint or predator damage and she wasn't frozen too badly. I fretted all night and was up before 4:00 waiting for good daylight. I think I worried more about this not going right because my grandson was with me and who wants to screw up in front of their grandson?

Our third Black Friday doe in a row together and inner loins on the grill for him tonight. He's a Michigan fan so we're going to start to watch the game together and let him make the call on if we go out for a rain hunt this afternoon or not.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 10

Three young bucks this morning. Just walking around  open woods, as late as 10:30 , same small six from last night  came into about 20 yards .

Wish a doe would show up .

Sure was windy, called for 12 mph more like 25 .

Lunch time. Pulled out to go to stewarts and get a sausage egg and cheese wrap and refill thermos.

Almost zero activity so far. One doe bumped on way in this morning, one small doe 5 mins after i sat down. Too small and young to shoot. This property gets very busy between 330 and 430 so hopefully it is a productive afternoon sit.

I saw Zippo.  Didn't go in far cause it's just so noisy.  Sat til 11. 

Prob not hunt pm, supposed to pour here.  Tomorrow I'm in all day.  Gonna hunt one stand that hasn't been touched all year in the morn. 

Pulled cam from where I was sitting.  Does only at night not a one in daylight.  4 bucks ,2 decent in daylight on Nov, 10,12.  But since not much.   

IMG_20181124_094014188.jpg

Hey all
Been MIA for a bit but had a great morning today. Opening weekend saw Zippo. Did drives at my buddies today. Saw 17 deer and 11 of them were all small bucks. Incredible action and a great morning to be out. Few more years and those bucks won't be safe. Rain is here now and I am back inside unfortunately. Hitting it hard in the morning though. Good luck everyone

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Well since I’m tagged out I decided to let my cousin sit my stand. He’s walking out there now. This is really only his 3rd day hunting. I’m really hoping he doesn’t get anything. I know that’s messed up but I don’t wanna have to clean it for him and he’s got no clue what he’s doing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntic public lan in 1c. Just had 8 does and fawn come running in. I kept looking for the buck chasing, but did not see one. They got to 50 yds downwind, stood for a while then turned away and left. A minute or so later I heard a couple ATVs, so I believe the ATV's pushed them. Made for a few minutes of excitement anyway.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The rain stopped. The ‘Cuse are looking OK and the tree stand is calling. I must go. 
Hoping for some late action for all sticking it out or back out. 
image.thumb.jpg.45bb90a5fe2a5a02429010b18d51f018.jpg

Yea Cuse game kept me a bit too long and bumped one by the tower going in rrrrrrr. I’ll see if the cam caught it I just saw azz!

Wet out there I’m hiding in the tower

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

Well since I’m tagged out I decided to let my cousin sit my stand. He’s walking out there now. This is really only his 3rd day hunting. I’m really hoping he doesn’t get anything. I know that’s messed up but I don’t wanna have to clean it for him and he’s got no clue what he’s doing lol

Funny you say that, i know a few humters that are not new at all to this sport and  after the shot are clueless what to do with the deer. Pretty sad if you ask me. 

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 2

Funny you say that, i know a few humters that are not new at all this sport and  after the shot are clueless what to do with the deer. Pretty sad if you ask me. 

I am the official field dresser and butcher for pretty much all the guys I hunt with. I should really put a stop to it and make them start learning.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chefhunter86 said:

I am the official field dresser and butcher for pretty much all the guys I hunt with. I should really put a stop to it and make them start learning.

You absolutely should, What if you are not there one day? I dont enjoy gutting or cutting up a deer,but it is part of the process for me.

• Like 1