LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

I’ve gutted maybe 100-150 deer never worn gloves. Hope I don’t die lol.

Anyhow my Dad grew up a city kid, married my mom an Adirondack girl. He started hunting with my grandfather in his 20s. He got a few deer and never gutted one. I came along and my grandfather had me gutting at 10-11 years old. I couldn’t hunt but I could drag and dress lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not concerned about dying, they just keep you cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Late post. Phone died as I tried to get updates on the brutal Giants game.

Doe and Fawn came in hauling ass before 4pm. Mom was looking over her shoulder so I was hopeful something would be following her. They stopped about 20 yards from me and slowly made there way browsing to me. Seemed like hours, but was probably a few minutes.

Nothing was showing behind her and legal light was getting close so I made the call to fill the dmp. Waited for her to step into open and let an arrow fly. Good shot, double lung.

She hauls out of there, Fawn shoots off in opposite direction. She starts to get wobbly, leans while she is running and runs smack into a tree. Drt. Never saw anything like it.

Back to another the thread, I think my shot was fatal but cause of death was blunt force trauma to the cranium from the tree. Quite sure the tree wasn't going to stake a claim, so I felt comfortable filling out the tag.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 8

7 hours ago, tarheel95 said:

Back to another the thread, I think my shot was fatal but cause of death was blunt force trauma to the cranium from the tree. Quite sure the tree wasn't going to stake a claim, so I felt comfortable filling out the tag. 

I shot a buck a few years back did the same thing on a death run thought the he would of broke his horns !

12 hours ago, rob-c said:

I have no cell service on the lease so this is tape delayed photos and story :mail:

Decided I was going to head to the lease around 9:30 and sit midday to dark, wife and son decided to stay home . I knew I wanted to sit on the dug road as it had been loaded with tracks the last few hunts.

I decided to use the same oak tree  that my wife  had seen deer out of opening day of firearms, it had a really nice pine right next to it that offered great cover. At about 11:00 had 3 hens walk under my climber and then at 12:30 I hear deer coming up behind me. I stand, turn ,cock the hammer on the super redhawk and turn on the red dot . There’s 6 doe walking up the hill about 50 yards, the two lead doe’s are behind some heavy brush , no shot. I look and the 4th was just as big as the lead.

Rested my arms against the tree and waited for the doe to come into the ok shooting lane that I noticed.  Touched off the 44 and she donkey kicks as I see her kick I see a branch fall. She runs about 75 yards and goes down, I watch her and she gets back up and runs down the hill and I loose sight of her . At this point I am thinking oh no I hit that branch  and it deflected the bullet. I wait half hour and I climb down and walk over to where I watched her go down. The blood was every where,  I am thinking how did she get back up. Found her about 100 yards down the hill. The bullet did deflect some and hit her a little back.  All in all the 240 grain xtp did its job. Very happy to have some venison for the freezer.. 

9EEDC270-20FB-4188-9B16-E2F362C012D0.jpeg

90A57C91-3311-400C-AB28-AD0021B27E88.jpeg

Congrats Rob!

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the weekend harvests and good luck to the Monday hunters today. Back at work today and the rifle opener seems so long ago already. Back to living vicariously through you all until next weekend. Still have my buck tag along with my wife having hers yet. Yesterday one of the guys on the neighboring hunt club signed over a doe tag to her, so we need to get her a deer this Saturday or Sunday. I'm short on freezer room so I'm looking for the big boys only. As far as I know, the two big guys that I've only seen on camera are still around.

Good luck everyone!

13 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Idk. I was thinking about it and was wondering if I hit him good the first time and the 2nd shot was the not as good one. The first shot should have been perfect. I am not sure which was which but the more I think about it I think the first was the good one and the second dropped him.

that is probably more likely. Sometimes deer react weird to such trauma. I've had a few that pause like I missed. I have a momentary panic and then they just tip.

Got this huge doe yesterday at 3:28. I was sitting under a huge cherry tree in the middle of an orchard waiting for the group of doe to come out. A couple filtered through earlier, but for some reason I couldn’t seal the deal on them. At least 6 came out but they stayed at the top of the hill in line of a house so I couldn’t shoot. When a couple finally were in a safe spot, I took the first good shot I was given. It was about 140 yards and a perfect shot. It ran maybe 15 yards before crashing. Couldn’t see it go down, but I heard the thud from 140 it’s away. Number 3 for the year so I’m definitely doing well. Still have plenty of deer in the area and have a doe and buck tag left so I’m hoping to fill one more of those. Definitely has to be either my biggest or with in the top 3 doe I’ve ever shot. Definitely a mature doe, with a hump on its shoulder and everything

IMG_8288.jpg

• Like 22

1 minute ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Creeks and ditches already at crest, fields and woods flooded, mud and more mud .

Took a walk yesterday and have water laying everywhere. I would love to get some coyote sets out but there isn't much sense and looking at the forecast there isn't much hope for the future.

53 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Maybe? I always just use a sling.

Yes haul line or whatever.

I don't like slings never use them I have a ring on the foreword sling mount I clip my rope to

it worked out turns out I harvested a doe out of that stand last year same day as well

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Yes haul line or whatever.
I don't like slings never use them I have a ring on the foreword sling mount I clip my rope to
it worked out turns out I harvested a doe out of that stand last year same day as well

Not a sling guy either but always have a piece of 550 cord with loops tied on both ends to slip over barrel and stock to sling gun for climbing in stands and dragging purposes.

• Thanks 1