LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

Buckmaster, sorry man. After losing my mom last January and Pop in March it doesn’t get any easier. Seems like forever ago and yesterday all in one. Hope I don’t see a deer anytime soon as I won’t be able to see them in the scope with these tears.
My Pops back tag sits with mine. 4e93a1d2285ac4279dcab7424e8dc0f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 26

Buckmaster, sorry man. After losing my mom last January and Pop in March it doesn’t get any easier. Seems like forever ago and yesterday all in one. Hope I don’t see a deer anytime soon as I won’t be able to see them in the scope with these tears.
My Pops back tag sits with mine. 4e93a1d2285ac4279dcab7424e8dc0f7.jpg&key=60d85dd77936125b6cef5c144b4d48b02ca1984349f697a80ad64aa768b1837e

You and me both Jay. Thought I was done for the season but last night I realized today was going to suck so might as well spend it in the woods.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Two years ago today started off like every other day of hunting with my dad, brother and I. The three of us sitting at mom and dads dining room table for an hour before we had to head to the woods having coffee and breakfast. My dad and I arguing because he made the coffee to weak and where we were going to sit, where to sit my brother and what drive to make first and in what direction. The night before was like so many other nights for our family, my wife at the time, my daughter my brother and sister-in-law and I all had dinner at mom and dads and we spent most of the night picking on each other about something or other and talking about the next days hunt.

That morning I sat exactly where I’m sitting right now and was planning on doing the first push to my dad and brother. Little did I know that would be the last drive I would ever do for my dad. Dad killed a doe that morning then as many of you know suffered heart failure and died on top of his last deer just after he finished gutting it. My brother and I were on either side of him when it happened.

They say that time heals everything and that’s not true, I miss the old man more today than I did the day he died. He was the greatest father, “papa” husband and man that I have ever known.

I love you old man!

cb2591b4c76487e5e5bd5fc1bcc12843.jpg97110e24499607820de0f0f3d3258882.jpg

I don't think it ever gets "easier".  You're Dad was a salt of the earth type. Wish I could have known him. You my friend, are just like him, and I look forward to meeting you.  I know he's so proud of you all, as he looks down with that smile on his face.

Well it was funny this morning, my girlfriend said if I were you I would head down to the bottom of the field, they've been coming out down there for the last 3 mornings. She doesn't hunt but I took her advice and so far 2 spikes have come through. I guess I should listen to her more. Hoping for a good one.

• Like 2

I'm not going today.Gonna try making some sausage no links just bulk got 4 front shoulders and a 10-14lbs whole pork shoulder to grind.Using my Kitchenaid for grinding.now if iv'e made enough ice to keep everytng cold all should work great.Venison and pork partially frozen should help.Good luck to the ones out today.

With all these memories being shared today, of those no longer with us, it goes to show you at the end of the day it's not about the horns, it's not about the meat, it's not about the kill, it's not about a fixed or mechanical,it's not about an xbow or traditional, it's about making memories and enjoying the great outdoors with others, family and friends. The moment we make it about anything else we are just wasting our energy. We are blessed to have these opportunity's. Take advantage my friends, take advantage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Two years ago today started off like every other day of hunting with my dad, brother and I. The three of us sitting at mom and dads dining room table for an hour before we had to head to the woods having coffee and breakfast. My dad and I arguing because he made the coffee to weak and where we were going to sit, where to sit my brother and what drive to make first and in what direction. The night before was like so many other nights for our family, my wife at the time, my daughter my brother and sister-in-law and I all had dinner at mom and dads and we spent most of the night picking on each other about something or other and talking about the next days hunt.

That morning I sat exactly where I’m sitting right now and was planning on doing the first push to my dad and brother. Little did I know that would be the last drive I would ever do for my dad. Dad killed a doe that morning then as many of you know suffered heart failure and died on top of his last deer just after he finished gutting it. My brother and I were on either side of him when it happened.

They say that time heals everything and that’s not true, I miss the old man more today than I did the day he died. He was the greatest father, “papa” husband and man that I have ever known.

I love you old man!

I don't have anything to say that will make today or any day any easier. I am sure you Dad is looking down on you and is proud as hell and is with you everystep of the way through your hunts and life.

• Like 2

Sitting in a tree reading these posts and remembering all the family and friends that have passed ... 

And when I got down to walk a bit, I came upon this guy. He followed me the length of the pond making little mink noises at me the whole time. Wonder which of my deceased relatives/friends that was. 

6830F036-2050-4784-8EDC-F885D94D3288.jpeg

• Like 2

Hang in they guys......what a great way to remember the men who made us the men we are today. I can only wish I raise my boys to be contributing members of society and good family men to boot!
Just had a great conversation with my dad and a guy we hunt with last night after we got out of the woods......we only saw tails but all agreed with was just an awesome afternoon to be outdoors in a tree! The topping on the cake is taking a trophy or meat for the table.....the real trophy is sharing the love of the outdoors with family and friends, and experiencing things some people only read about in books!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

With all these memories being shared today, of those no longer with us, it goes to show you at the end of the day it's not about the horns, it's not about the meat, it's not about the kill, it's not about a fixed or mechanical,it's not about an xbow or traditional, it's about making memories and enjoying the great outdoors with others, family and friends. The moment we make it about anything else we are just wasting our energy. We are blessed to have these opportunity's. Take advantage my friends, take advantage.

I cannot agree more with You except the fact that if not for these folks Family and Friends I would not have Grown into the Man I am today without them.

16 hours ago, slayer said:

ok so here is the update. the liver is being sliced right now, going in the dehydrator for the dogs.Or anyone brave enough to try it. The buck stepped out about 75 yards. He did the leg spread and fed . He stood up took a couple steps and did the leg spread and fed again. I couldn't take it That was a pose I just couldn't pass on. Nailed him. he wiggled for about 4 seconds, then stillness. I didn't even reload. I called the wife and told her the good news. I collected my gear and walked over to see what i got. I had no idea what kind of buck it really was. You see for the most part I just see snacks and not horns. I was quite surprised. Big 8 point.

big 8 muzzleloader 2018.jpg

2018 muzzleloader eight point.jpg

You da man! Good job!:locomotive:

• Like 2

Thanks for the stories guys, just before reading this my dad asked if I wanted to hunt this weekend, he hasn't been out since opening weekend of rifle, I wear surprised he asked me and said of course, I'll drive. The weekend was planned for a fishing trip to the salmon river but that'll have to wait! I try to enjoy every day I can in the woods with family.

• Like 8

I'm going out in mid afternoon for an evening sit...Built me a little blind near the southeast corner of my food plot where the deer have been coming out..I have been waiting for a south wind to hunt it...Got a light south wind blowing today and supposedly tomorrow..Time to get a deer for the son in law and then switch to fishing and chasing bunnies ahead of my buddy's beagles..

• Like 2

16 hours ago, goosifer said:

So, to paraphrase, it twice spread its legs and bent over, at which time you couldn't take it anymore and nailed it. It wiggled for 4 seconds and then went still. You didn't reload. You then called your wife with the good news. OK, maybe it's just me . . . .

Congrats on a great buck!

I laughed my ass off. I need that after being  in the county office buildings.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Darn it Andrew - stop speaking the truth!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I love you old man!

I was never closer to anyone than my dad.  I spend every April 1 for opening day of trout season, reflecting like this as well.  Thanks for posting. And you will have tough days for sure and a lot of good memory days too.  Tears in the woods today but it is where you belong and he would've and is right with you. 

• Like 2