burmjohn

LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Dinsdale said:

Cut up a tree and moved the wood today before the rains come again....in the low 80's here.

You are a better man than I.

But thanks for posting pics, enjoy checking this thread.

It has rained almost everyday since June in my area, so to finally have some weight off my shoulders, and a nice sunny day, I just HAD to sit here all day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing on the agenda for tonight so I walked out to a low impact stand sitting in a T-shirt wishing I didn’t wear a shirt at all. Oh well hopefully stick a coyote with the crossbow!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20fbebcf0aba1c6e1fd7c6f182567dd1.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TF- Still in the trees, haven't seen a thing, which always seems to be the case here.  

I feel for you man I think out side of the daks and the high peeks of the Catskills the part of Sullivan county you hunt is one of the toughest in the state. I have a friend who is a member of a camp down by you and I think out of 20 guys last year they killed 2 doe and no bucks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:


I feel for you man I think out side of the daks and the high peeks of the Catskills the part of Sullivan county you hunt is one of the toughest in the state. I have a friend who is a member of a camp down by you and I think out of 20 guys last year they killed 2 doe and no bucks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Chef, I hear you man, it is difficult for sure.  Yeah thats me who is in the vicinity of your friend's camp.  I took a very nice 7 point in 2014 on my property here, which dressed at 175.  That was opening day rifle.  I have seen a few giants with suprising mass walk randomly past cams here before, to have never had them show up again in any means.  Even driving in the area say within 5 miles, every now and then a giant rack appears with a big body.  Like you have said before, they surely are here, but I truly feel they do not have solid patters up here.  Sightings just seem sooo sporadic and random, and rubs just seem so spaced, and few, that i cant seem to figure out if its one buck,  or if it criss crossed another, lol.  Again, I am not a good hunter, I do not seem to scout much at all either because of the lack of sign, and for reasons said prior.  It cracks me up though, its deep dark woods, and pretty vast, roads are not too scattered here, and the houses are really not too plentiful when you look on google earth.  Oh well, I will just keep putting my time in,  it makes getting a large buck that more exciting, and meaningful to me.  Fortunately I have a spot in Orange County where deer sightings of doe, and buck are much more frequent.  Thinking out loud now, and wrote a book, haha.  Stay safe in Florida! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Papist said:

Sounds like you need a Papist style horizontal, resin, sap based rub my fren

Always looking to learn! Always. 

I thought about trying that actually....

You know something, here too the pines tend to get the rubs on them like your woods.  I should try it, what do I have to lose, nothing...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey Chef, I hear you man, it is difficult for sure.  Yeah thats me who is in the vicinity of your friend's camp.  I took a very nice 7 point in 2014 on my property here, which dressed at 175.  That was opening day rifle.  I have seen a few giants with suprising mass walk randomly past cams here before, to have never had them show up again in any means.  Even driving in the area say within 5 miles, every now and then a giant rack appears with a big body.  Like you have said before, they surely are here, but I truly feel they do not have solid patters up here.  Sightings just seem sooo sporadic and random, and rubs just seem so spaced, and few, that i cant seem to figure out if its one buck,  or if it criss crossed another, lol.  Again, I am not a good hunter, I do not seem to scout much at all either because of the lack of sign, and for reasons said prior.  It cracks me up though, its deep dark woods, and pretty vast, roads are not too scattered here, and the houses are really not too plentiful when you look on google earth.  Oh well, I will just keep putting my time in,  it makes getting a large buck that more exciting, and meaningful to me.  Fortunately I have a spot in Orange County where deer sightings of doe, and buck are much more frequent.  Thinking out loud now, and wrote a book, haha.  Stay safe in Florida! 

I have to say sitting at this hotel bar.... more then a little drunk. Reading your reply made me smile. And in this drunkin ramble I’ll tell you why. You described it perfectly. It’s hard hunting, very hard hunting. But what you said is true. When you do get a nice buck there it’s so much more meaningful. Not to insult or discredit some of our other members but they hunt farm land and get good bucks year after year. You kill a buck in that part of Sullivan you earned it.

Good luck brother

Drunk rant over


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Button buck officially in the freezer. Was able to salvage everything like I thought from my road kill friend. 12 2lb packs of grinds and 2 packs of hind steaks and 2 packs of tenderloins. Just like veal lol.☺

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:


I have to say sitting at this hotel bar.... more then a little drunk. Reading your reply made me smile. And in this drunkin ramble I’ll tell you why. You described it perfectly. It’s hard hunting, very hard hunting. But what you said is true. When you do get a nice buck there it’s so much more meaningful. Not to insult or discredit some of our other members but they hunt farm land and get good bucks year after year. You kill a buck in that part of Sullivan you earned it.

Good luck brother

Drunk rant over


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Chef, I appreciate it. 

Good luck to you as well, and have a safe trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say sitting at this hotel bar.... more then a little drunk. Reading your reply made me smile. And in this drunkin ramble I’ll tell you why. You described it perfectly. It’s hard hunting, very hard hunting. But what you said is true. When you do get a nice buck there it’s so much more meaningful. Not to insult or discredit some of our other members but they hunt farm land and get good bucks year after year. You kill a buck in that part of Sullivan you earned it.

Good luck brother

Drunk rant over


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read this at a hotel bar. Slightly drunk lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read this at a hotel bar. Slightly drunk lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At least I wasn’t the only one ! I’ll try and update you guys with some live pics as I drive down the Florida panhandle today


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:


At least I wasn’t the only one ! I’ll try and update you guys with some live pics as I drive down the Florida panhandle today


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes, bad timing there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bionic said:

Thank you Chef, I appreciate it. 

Good luck to you as well, and have a safe trip.

No doubt deer density makes many areas of the state much easier to hunt.  I hope you have your opportunity.  I see deer more often than not on sits.  It would not be easy for me to stay motivated if sightings were the rarity.  Kudos to you folks hunting those tough areas!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:


At least I wasn’t the only one ! I’ll try and update you guys with some live pics as I drive down the Florida panhandle today


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you typically plan your trips into the heart of a Hurricane or is it just coincidence? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No doubt deer density makes many areas of the state much easier to hunt.  I hope you have your opportunity.  I see deer more often than not on sits.  It would not be easy for me to stay motivated if sightings were the rarity.  Kudos to you folks hunting those tough areas!


So you don’t want to come hunt with me either?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This past week I was in Canada. A non-resident permit is not cheap, but it was Xbow season so I brought it along. Only one tag, either sex.

I had a nice spot at a relative's property--one that has never been hunted based on the reports of the deer numbers. And I can say it's probably accurate. Teeming with deer. I took one on my fourth sit. My third sit you can see here--this is the first time I've ever had 6 deer under my stand and also the first time I've ever let a deer go past without shooting when it was a reasonable size and I had a tag. Not quite sure why, but I watched one of these deer at 20 yards in front of me eat and peeing. You can see five of them here as they walk off. I was partly hoping to get a larger one than this doe, as the group had a larger buck (still by no means huge).

Deer1.JPG.278437af313b41d82874a236ddf31690.JPG

Next morning I was up. Sunrise was just after 7 and by 9 I was starting to regret my decision the earlier night because, with time at this location running short and needing lead time with a butcher, I realized I had to get one soon. However, as luck would have it the buck from the earlier morning came along. Saw him at 50, he went behind some trees and I readied to get him if he'd come out the other side. 25 yards he came out and I had a nice quartering away.

With my Xbow at that range, it's a done deal. So when I saw the lighted nock confirm entry into just where it should be and the deer did the weird jump twitch and ran off, I knew I'd be done inside of 50 yards.

So you can imagine my surprise when I failed to see blood. 80 yards down where he'd run I found a few specks at the most and realized something awful had happened. Had I badly missed? Had the rage failed? I couldn't find my arrow but with the power of this xbow that must have mean it hit bone and was lodged in.

I ended up tracking a mild blood trail through the thickest terrain ever. If you've ever tried to get between young evergreens, you know what that means. literally hands and knees. The path led down to the ocean and I was quite confident I'd never see the deer, as he'd have run off elsewhere and die miles away.

To my surprise I look down on the beach and I see him.

Deer2.JPG.1dd3434a5d4c04f7f3f20e4d4ab0f3ad.JPG

I'm still not quite sure what killed him. The broadhead opened perfectly, 2" cut on both sides (I found the arrow the next morning up where I'd hit him).

No blood in the mouth, little around the wounds, heart was fine. He made it about 200 yards. Hard to age him, as the antlers were not huge, either 1.5 or 2.5 years I guess.

As for the shot I think I was maybe 2" back on the entire thing. Had I hit very slightly forward it would have double lunged him no question at all.

 

Edited by Core
  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

 

 


So you don’t want to come hunt with me either?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

If I had another buck tag, I would show you how to kill your big boy but alas .....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:


At least I wasn’t the only one ! I’ll try and update you guys with some live pics as I drive down the Florida panhandle today


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoa, be safe


I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Core said:

This past week I was in Canada. A non-resident permit is not cheap, but it was Xbow season so I brought it along. Only one tag, either sex.

I had a nice spot at a relative's property--one that has never been hunted based on the reports of the deer numbers. And I can say it's probably accurate. Teeming with deer. I took one on my fourth sit. My third sit you can see here--this is the first time I've ever had 6 deer under my stand and also the first time I've ever let a deer go past without shooting when it was a reasonable size and I had a tag. Not quite sure why, but I watched one of these deer at 20 yards in front of me eat and peeing. You can see five of them here as they walk off. I was partly hoping to get a larger one than this doe, as the group had a larger buck (still by no means huge).

Deer1.JPG.278437af313b41d82874a236ddf31690.JPG

Next morning I was up. Sunrise was just after 7 and by 9 I was starting to regret my decision the earlier night because, with time at this location running short and needing lead time with a butcher, I realized I had to get one soon. However, as luck would have it the buck from the earlier morning came along. Saw him at 50, he went behind some trees and I readied to get him if he'd come out the other side. 25 yards he came out and I had a nice quartering away.

With my Xbow at that range, it's a done deal. So when I saw the lighted nock confirm entry into just where it should be and the deer did the weird jump twitch and ran off, I knew I'd be done inside of 50 yards.

So you can imagine my surprise when I failed to see blood. 80 yards down where he'd run I found a few specks at the most and realized something awful had happened. Had I badly missed? Had the rage failed? I couldn't find my arrow but with the power of this xbow that must have mean it hit bone and was lodged in.

I ended up tracking a mild blood trail through the thickest terrain ever. If you've ever tried to get between young evergreens, you know what that means. literally hands and knees. The path led down to the ocean and I was quite confident I'd never see the deer, as he'd have run off elsewhere and die miles away.

To my surprise I look down on the beach and I see him.

Deer2.JPG.1dd3434a5d4c04f7f3f20e4d4ab0f3ad.JPG

I'm still not quite sure what killed him. The broadhead opened perfectly, 2" cut on both sides (I found the arrow the next morning up where I'd hit him).

No blood in the mouth, little around the wounds, heart was fine. He made it about 200 yards. Hard to age him, as the antlers were not huge, either 1.5 or 2.5 years I guess.

As for the shot I think I was maybe 2" back on the entire thing. Had I hit very slightly forward it would have double lunged him no question at all.

 

Wanted to see the lake just one more time, poor fella.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Core said:

This past week I was in Canada. A non-resident permit is not cheap, but it was Xbow season so I brought it along. Only one tag, either sex.

I had a nice spot at a relative's property--one that has never been hunted based on the reports of the deer numbers. And I can say it's probably accurate. Teeming with deer. I took one on my fourth sit. My third sit you can see here--this is the first time I've ever had 6 deer under my stand and also the first time I've ever let a deer go past without shooting when it was a reasonable size and I had a tag. Not quite sure why, but I watched one of these deer at 20 yards in front of me eat and peeing. You can see five of them here as they walk off. I was partly hoping to get a larger one than this doe, as the group had a larger buck (still by no means huge).

Deer1.JPG.278437af313b41d82874a236ddf31690.JPG

Next morning I was up. Sunrise was just after 7 and by 9 I was starting to regret my decision the earlier night because, with time at this location running short and needing lead time with a butcher, I realized I had to get one soon. However, as luck would have it the buck from the earlier morning came along. Saw him at 50, he went behind some trees and I readied to get him if he'd come out the other side. 25 yards he came out and I had a nice quartering away.

With my Xbow at that range, it's a done deal. So when I saw the lighted nock confirm entry into just where it should be and the deer did the weird jump twitch and ran off, I knew I'd be done inside of 50 yards.

So you can imagine my surprise when I failed to see blood. 80 yards down where he'd run I found a few specks at the most and realized something awful had happened. Had I badly missed? Had the rage failed? I couldn't find my arrow but with the power of this xbow that must have mean it hit bone and was lodged in.

I ended up tracking a mild blood trail through the thickest terrain ever. If you've ever tried to get between young evergreens, you know what that means. literally hands and knees. The path led down to the ocean and I was quite confident I'd never see the deer, as he'd have run off elsewhere and die miles away.

To my surprise I look down on the beach and I see him.

Deer2.JPG.1dd3434a5d4c04f7f3f20e4d4ab0f3ad.JPG

I'm still not quite sure what killed him. The broadhead opened perfectly, 2" cut on both sides (I found the arrow the next morning up where I'd hit him).

No blood in the mouth, little around the wounds, heart was fine. He made it about 200 yards. Hard to age him, as the antlers were not huge, either 1.5 or 2.5 years I guess.

As for the shot I think I was maybe 2" back on the entire thing. Had I hit very slightly forward it would have double lunged him no question at all.

 

A saltwater recovery, is that a first for the forum?? Congrats!

  • Like 2

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, moog5050 said:

Wanted to see the lake just one more time, poor fella.

 

 

Core said that it was the ocean.  I'm wondering what part of Canada he was hunting since he says it died by the ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stein13 said:

Congrats core anymore pics of your buck

No kidding!  Congrats to him on the kill, but it has got to be the worst positioned deer I have ever seen in a kill photo!!  At least position it to look like a deer instead of some mysterious beached creature!  LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No kidding!  Congrats to him on the kill, but it has got to be the worst positioned deer I have ever seen in a kill photo!!  At least position it to look like a deer instead of some mysterious beached creature!  LOL

Horns are on wrong side of head too 54c4651b61f036e15f9af4f15a0dd115.png


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:


Horns are on wrong side of head too 54c4651b61f036e15f9af4f15a0dd115.png


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Oh man, just look at the mass of those horns!   That's a world record spike!!    LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hey Turkey hunters! Check out my latest video on YouTube! This is a Pennsylvania turkey hunt from last spring! The opening morning of the PA season. This long beard strutted right in to the decoy and was only 10 yards away when I shot him! Please subscribe to my YouTube channel Cross Over the River Outdoors to stay updated with my hunting adventures and new videos! Post and share as well! Enjoy the hunt guys and gals! 
       
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hey everyone! I'm Louis Backlas, and I'm from Wyoming county N.Y. This past fall I entered the largest deer hunting tournament the hunting industry has ever seen. The Bone Collector North American Whitetail Championships. In this tournament, there was 14 different regions in the United States. Region 1 being New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Winners of each region qualify for a hunt in Kansas at Wicked Outfitters and will have a chance to win $50,000. I was blessed to be the winner for region 1! Pretty Excited here about this! I wanted to invite all of you N.Y hunters to watch my latest video that was uploaded to my YouTube Channel, Cross Over the River Outdoors. In this video, I will take you on the hunt that qualified me for the championships in Kansas coming this September! After watching the video, Please give my YouTube channel a follow and you can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook @ Cross Over the River Outdoors! Send some prayers my way ya'll! Thanks and God Bless!
       
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hey Everyone! I just uploaded a new video to my YouTube channel! If ya'll enjoy watching whitetails in the rut then you need to watch this! One of the coolest encounters that I've ever been able to video! All filmed off the back of my horse. Note: this is not on a deer farm. These are all wild free ranging whitetails! I'd love it if ya'll would give me some follows on my hunting pages! You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram  and YouTube at Cross Over the River Outdoors! I hope Ya'll enjoy the video! God Bless! 
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hey Everyone! Who's all ready to bust some thunder chickens upside the head!? Here's a short video to help get you fired up for those spring mornings!
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hey Everyone! This is Louis Backlas/ Cross Over the River Outdoors. I just posted a new video to my YouTube channel that I though ya'll might get a kick out of! Have you ever used a decoy to hunt whitetails? If you haven't before you might want to start! I woke up one morning and look out my front window only  to find that my 3D deer target was in pieces all over the front lawn! A fired up buck decided to take his frustrations out on the target!  this took place sometime in November during the peek of the rut. Hope ya'll get a kick out of it! 
       
      Follow along on my adventures on my pages! You can find Cross Over the River Outdoors on YouTube, Instagram and Facebook! God Bless! 
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.