LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

Did a sit this morning because I wanted to do a camera pull. Pretty windy and I didn't see a thing. Not surprising since they rough plowed the field. My View this morning:

IMG_20181019_080235[1].jpg

Pulled the camera and it shows there are still a few around but no horns:

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Report from the brother, 9 in Greene county. 

800B56E3-C600-432D-85C8-0CFDCEDDC3E3.jpeg

95A77D6E-79AE-430E-B25A-F53FAA466DB6.jpeg

Woot looking around 120" from my view, way to go guys looks like the deer are moving!

I'm trying a new method today, my wife just landed back in the states...our anniversary was Wednesday.

I got this doe bait, hoping mine is hot and can't resist...

IMG_5777.thumb.PNG.cbc64d8bb7b4369c3fff7c49666493cc.PNG

Hopefully I score and at the same time free myself from any other weekend obligations that might interfere with hunting...conditions are right, I like my odds!

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Out in 3g before work this AM. Cold and light but swirling wind. Around 8 two nice does started a slow feed in towards me. Was waiting to see if a 6 that had been hanging with them joined them for breakfast. No sight of him. They fed to about 60 and ducked behind a fallen oak. Lost them in the brush. Gave them 30 minutes and was convinced they had disappeared into thin air.

Get up to go to leave and go to work. Take three steps on the leaves and two flags bound off for the distance. Oh well, had to pay the bills so no choice. Great morning regardless.

Pulled cams last night. Have a few bucks returning to the property and checking out the does. One nice 9 is back but he is still staying solo and nocturnal.

Might hit public tonight if I can get out early enough. Good luck to all.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

Out in 3g before work this AM. Cold and light but swirling wind. Around 8 two nice does started a slow feed in towards me. Was waiting to see if a 6 that had been hanging with them joined them for breakfast. No sight of him. They fed to about 60 and ducked behind a fallen oak. Lost them in the brush. Gave them 30 minutes and was convinced they had disappeared into thin air.

Get up to go to leave and go to work. Take three steps on the leaves and two flags bound off for the distance. Oh well, had to pay the bills so no choice. Great morning regardless.

Pulled cams last night. Have a few bucks returning to the property and checking out the does. One nice 9 is back but he is still staying solo and nocturnal.

Might hit public tonight if I can get out early enough. Good luck to all.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

What part of 3g are you hunting I ask cause I also hunt 3g mostly state land.

4 hours ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Sometime the energy in the letdown from the initial draw is enough to pop the nock loose of the string.

Alternatively nocks do wear out over time but it can take a pretty long time...I use really tight nocks just to be sure.

The arrow wouldn't even go with the string when he drew it back.  It just stayed in the biscuit.  

Just got back home sat til 11 never saw a deer.  2 yotes, 4 squirrels and a tick on my sleeve. 

The yotes were crazy.  Got in on a field edge on the second step of stand and two come trotting by at 12 yards and looking right at where I just went in.  I scooted up the ladder quick and they ran across the field.  I felt like I was being hunted.  

This was my view this morn.  But never a deer in it.  I was pretty juiced about this am.  Hope the pm is better. Beautiful morning though.

IMG_20181019_074848990.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You are not my boss. And now because you made mad mad, I will leave work at 245pm and hunt 5ish - dark and stick a big buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear to god I've said that to my wife 2x per hunting season for atleast 10 yrs running!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You are not my boss. And now because you made mad mad, I will leave work at 245pm and hunt 5ish - dark and stick a big buck!

Whatever it takes to motivate you biz. At this point I would be very happy with a doe harvest myself. Of course i wouldn't pass up a decent buck. Hope the harvest thread will light up this weekend...

47 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The arrow wouldn't even go with the string when he drew it back.  It just stayed in the biscuit.  

Like BGF said they should be snug...I have a narrower diameter arrow so my nocks are typically smaller in general and they are snug to the point where the arrow can come off the rest and slowly swing out to nearly perpendicular with the bow at which time it typically will fall off the string.

2 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Like BGF said they should be snug...I have a narrower diameter arrow so my nocks are typically smaller in general and they are snug to the point where the arrow can come off the rest and slowly swing out to nearly perpendicular with the bow at which time it typically will fall off the string.

Thanks. I never heard of this happening and he just couldn't figure it out.  He had a nocturnal I gave him , the rest of his regular arrows worked fine.  But unfortunately he found this out while drawing on a deer.  I've never had any issues with nock size.   I guess I thought they were all about the same. 

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Thanks. I never heard of this happening and he just couldn't figure it out.  He had a nocturnal I gave him , the rest of his regular arrows worked fine.  But unfortunately he found this out while drawing on a deer.  I've never had any issues with nock size.   I guess I thought they were all about the same. 

Well it sounds like he was lucky he didn't fire it, possibly could have resulted in an errant shot or possibly a dry fire if it came loose prior to release.

Live and learn and then mess up again that's how I do it.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

I’ve seen shops use a small piece of plastic shopping bags to snug that fit. Put bag over arrow shaft, insert nick, rip off bag and burn away any loose bag parts hanging out. Worth a shot in a pinch

11 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I’ve seen shops use a small piece of plastic shopping bags to snug that fit. Put bag over arrow shaft, insert nick, rip off bag and burn away any loose bag parts hanging out. Worth a shot in a pinch

Another trick is to heat them up with boiling water and pinch them to make them tighter. If they are to tight you can spread them out he same way or take a light sand paper and take a little off at a time until they fit right. I don't know what the water would do to a light up knock though.

• Like 2