LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

Finally went to my bow only spot after not being able to get to it due to the heavy rain and then snow melt, I have to cross a creek and the water has been to high to dare cross..

Anyway I bumped and nice buck and doe right in front of my stand on my way in tonight and lots of fresh tracks and sign,, putting the gun away early and going to concentrate on this spot for the remainder of hunting season..

• Like 5

Didn't see anything on watch in 6g but my nephew jumped one about a hundred yrds from me as he was walking down the creek bed. He said it was Big but couldn't get a shot off thinks it was a big 8. I would have posted awhile ago except I accidentally left my phone in the truck haven't done that in a while. Congrats to all those who were successful today.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, corydd7 said:

At a friends place passed on a spike and ten does sunday. Not gonna happen today.

20181205_143747.jpg

Picked the biggest of 8 doe's. I don't know if she was in heat or what but she stinks like no doe I've ever harvested.

Screenshot_2018-12-05-18-45-53.png

Edited by corydd7
  • Like 18

That has to be one of the hardest days I've hunted.  Don't think I'll be doing to 2am thing again for a while. 

Last day out for the year is Sunday, get the feeling the bucks are going to win this year.

Need a cabin with some amenities up there.  At least the road was frozen so the truck didn't get beat up today.  

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I couldn't take it so I just put in time off for the 13th for some muzzleloader. Lol.

Oh and I also put in for time off already in may for turkeys and walleyes. 

Nice!mentioned taking Friday off this week so I could have a long weekend to try and fill the freezer....got the reply of "what??? Can you work Saturday then?"....don't they know its crunch time?haha.been putting in 11-12hr days to try n catch up on workload.going to try again tomorrow.have 4 1/2 days vac to use up by new year.need to start planning it way ahead like you do!

• Like 1

Lots of ladies paid me a visit tonight, but all came single to the party. They have been hammering the greens in the pm, so hopefully they stick with it even if we get some snow. Sooner or later the infamous HE will step out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Only a day away from the 4th rut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Saw my fawn friend from 11 til dusk. Thought with 5-9” of snow coming the front would have them eating. But what do I know. Don’t think I’ll risk driving in crap in morning 

I'll be out until the wind picks up again. We are not suppose to get much snow at all but boy I hate that wind.

ł seen a ruffed Grouse, found it's nest. 

Sat in my late Great-Uncle' s stand from 5a-11a then moved to finish out the day.

Heard two shots at the very end before dark, not a lot happened in 9M from what ł could tell.

ł am begining to think the Yote activity is having a negative impact in my neck of the wood... Might have to target them next. 

Edited by XGX7PM

1 minute ago, XGX7PM said:

ł seen a ruffed Grouse, found it's nest. 

Sat in my late Great-Uncle' s stand from 5a-11a then moved to finish out the day.

Heard two shots at the very end before dark, not a lot happened in 9M from what ł could tell.

ł am begining to think the Yote activity is having a negative impact in my neck of the wood... Might have to target them next. 

Grouse nest ? They nest on the ground and  not in winter 

6 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Please educate me. Why would you be in a stand 2 1/2 hrs. before sun up? Just curious.:scratchhead:

No reason needed, is there something wrong with waking up early?

Had to carry out the plywood seat and get everything set up so ł could be quiet from 6:30 on. Setup was flawless and ł wasn't going to go back to my cabin for an hour. Early is on time...

Limited moonlight made for nice observation of the night sky which was icing on the no deer cake.

Out of curiousity, anyone ever spent the night before opening day in a heated blind?

Edited by XGX7PM
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Please educate me. Why would you be in a stand 2 1/2 hrs. before sun up? Just curious.:scratchhead:

I just did that this morning.  The general idea was that since the deer have been very hard to get to, in my case a big stand of white oaks where they've been feeding then bedding, get there in the dark and settled and let them filter in.

5 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I was just asking....  no reason to get your shorts in a bunch. Go in at midnight for all I care.

I just thought maybe I could learn something and I guess I did.

My apologies if that came across wrong Steve.

ł didn't want to be fumbling with the chunk of plywood at an inopportune time. Had ł a chance earlier in the season ł would've had the seat already in the stand. It's an old school ladder stand a quarter mile in to the woods. Didn't know how slow ł would be walking with the dark sky and lingering snow drifts and certainly don't want to sound like a freight train at the last minute.

ł sit in it at least once every season in memory of my Great Uncle, work schedule has pushed my reflective sit to the last minute this year.

12 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I just did that this morning.  The general idea was that since the deer have been very hard to get to, in my case a big stand of white oaks where they've been feeding then bedding, get there in the dark and settled and let them filter in.

I guess a lot do it and have their own reason for doing so. I was just trying to understand it. My brother in law does the same thing just to be early and plays with his phone until sunrise.

Edited by Steve D

Just now, Steve D said:

I guess a lot do it and have their own reason for doing so. I was just trying to understand it. By brother in law does the same thing just to be early and plays with his phone until sunrise.

ł like to be in my spot and settled in at least one hour before legal light. However ł don't play with my phone, as sensitive as deer eyes are to light the last thing ł want is my pale face lit up in my tree like a hovering ghost. My glasses would look like headlights with the reflection of this Forum in them, ł would nickname that treestand the whomping willow. 

put a 2nd cam back out tonight on my 5 acre spot after work... plenty of fresh tracks and 2 freshened up scrapes.. had about 8-10 does watching me put the cam around the tree.. had about an hour so I did have my shotgun loaded just incase but they were 60 yds off of the property... i guess tonight was their lucky night!! To be continued Friday afternoon...

• Like 1