Luna and Kunox's Tracking Journal 2018

outdoorstom

Outdoorstom, you & your pups are both getting a well deserved break.  Your accounts of the various tracking events is a highlight of my day.  My wife thinks I love those pups more then her.  Thank you again for what the three of you do for the many hunters who have benefitted from your efforts.

Poppy

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, outdoorstom said:

Well, we’re out of the tracking business for a while. Just home from the vet with Luna. She’s been dealing with an infection in her paw. Warm water with Epson salts and an antibiotic didn’t do the trick. There’s something in there that will have to be surgically removed, so on Monday that will be done. 5 or 6 days recovery time. Kunox recently got his right rear paw hung up on a barb wire fence. His paw is ok, but we believe he strained his leg when it happened because he yelps when it’s manipulated. He’s on pain meds for a while and gets free rides up and down the stairs. When it rains, it pours. :-(

F038EDFC-D794-4656-A491-1F667B15D0AA.jpeg

Even hurt, they would not hesitate to run a blood trail if you'd let them! Of course you wouldn't let that happen. But just shows the drive and spirit, in these wonderful and amazing dogs. They will bounce back.

Get well soon Luna and Kunox!  

• Thanks 1

Back at it before they know it. They have some time to reflect on the year, and get mentally motivated for the rest of the long season. Get the injury's out early, then get ready to rock. You need to get muck boots to custom fit them pups some foot wear !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2018 at 9:12 AM, grampy said:

Even hurt, they would not hesitate to run a blood trail if you'd let them! Of course you wouldn't let that happen. But just shows the drive and spirit, in these wonderful and amazing dogs. They will bounce back.

Get well soon Luna and Kunox!  

They absolutely would go while hurt. Their prey drive is incredible!

10/29/18

Kunox and I tracked for a young lady that had shot her first buck....a 6 or 8 pointer.  We had several restarts along the way on this 300 yard night track, and eventually saw the buck walking away at 75 yards. I marked it with the gps and backed out. We went back this morning but didn’t find any sign of it. Heavy rain overnight washed away any blood, but the scent would still be there.  When we arrived, a big buck ran off from in front of the stand. A family friend who’s stand it was, obviously was worried about scaring the big buck out of the area because he was ready to throw in the towel very quickly. 

Kunox and I went this morning to track a bear that had been shot at last light last night. No blood had been found. Heavy rain last night definitely hurt our chances on this one, as bear scent believe it or not, washes away quicker than deer scent. When we arrived there were deer in the cut cornfield the bear had been coming to. Kunox had no clue he was tracking a bear, not a deer. We ended up doing a thorough grid search but found no sign of the bear.

Our third track today didn’t go any better than the first two.  This 6 point buck was shot yesterday, several hours after the hunters son had shot a 4 pointer from the same stand. Both bucks had run down the same trail after being shot. Again, no sign was visible. Kunox locked onto the right trail and off we went....straight to the gut pile from the 4 pointer. He looked at me, all proud, and couldn’t understand when I picked him up and started working circles around the area. We mostly ended up back at the gut pile. We made larger circles to no avail, and followed some trails across the swamp, all with negative results. 

To make a bad day worse, Luna had surgery on her paw today. Part of a thorn was removed from the infected area and she is not able to track until the  stitches come out in 2 weeks. Huge bummer....the A Team is sidelined. Kunox is going to be busy and Luna will not be happy!

• Like 2

On 10/30/2018 at 6:40 AM, biggamefish said:

If luna needs some dog biscuits to get her through the 2 weeks let me know what kind. I will send her a box in the mail.  Everybody loves a good package when they are down and out!!. 

That is very kind of you, but trust me....they both have more than they need! Thank you though!

11/1/18

I received a call from a hunter’s son last night, telling me his Dad had shot a buck with his .308. The deer had gone down, then got up and ran away when he was approached.  No blood was observed in the bed. A wound in the high back area had been observed by one of the guys in the hunting party as the buck ran away.  I declined the call, having chased enough back whack’s to know they are rarely recoverable as this is a non lethal wound. 

This morning I was called again, by the hunter this time. They had gone back out last night and found he had bedded again, only a hundred yards or so from the first bed. They looked around a little, then backed out. This all of a sudden didn’t sound like a high back hit anymore, and I agreed to bring Kunox out.  The buck lay dead, 30 yards from his second bed! He had been liver and gut shot.

001D89B2-DDCA-4BAA-BACE-239F289076D1.jpeg

• Like 12