Too late???

I was looking at a wheat/soybean/white clover plot today, that I put in a couple days before Labor day.  I went kind of light on the wheat and I do not see any of that coming up.  It was from an old bag, so the seed may have been bad.   The soybeans are up around 4 " and the white clover is up about 1/4".  Each of those looks like close to 100 % germination.   I never tried oats, but I hear that the deer like them more than wheat or rye.  I am not sure if they can make it thru winter like wheat and rye can however.   I am hoping that it stays above freezing until November, because I know that deer like green soybeans more than almost anything else and my wheat looks like it might be a total loss.

On the plus side, at least without the wheat stealing the nitrogen, the white clover with soybean nurse crop should max out the available nitrogen for followup corn plots.      

Well i just got done re-planting one of the failed plot it was the larger of the two , pllanted wi oats and after dragging it spread a touch of brassica mix i had left over, I left a small area that had lots of turnips but really no green plants ... We will see what becomes of it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...