Balansa Clover

Looking to see if anyone has planted balansa clover?

Trying to reclaim some fallow property, marginal soil, holds water during wet conditions like this year. I have researched a lot of annual clovers and this seems like it may help build my soil but not sure of results in our climate.

My plan: I have no equipment, all I do is no till/broadcast. I figure on two years of planting an annual clover in the spring, burning it off with round-up and a prescribed burn in late summer with two fall plantings of tillage radish and turnips. My hope is the annual clovers will add organic matter and the brassica plating will help aeriate the soil and improve drainage. My hope is to improve the PH and drainage over this 2 years so a clover/chicory blend can survive.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Radishes and turnips have been great for me. I have been plotting an old hay lot for 3 years. I do till with tractor though. In the spring when what's left of the deer ravaged brassicas are rotten away (enjoy the smell) they leave loosened soil.  Last March I did frost seed some clover and it caught well. I also have been liming every year. I have used clover blends, better chance of getting growth if one strain doesn't do as well especially with wet feet. I Planted Whitetail Institute clover and Hancock's killer clover late July along with birdsfoot treefoil, clover is several inches tall. Thanks late summer rain. Never used an annual clover, why not plant the PERENNIAL and see how it goes. Nitrogen is nitrogen. If I just wanted to add organic matter I would plant clover and cereal rye mix in spring over the old brassicas. Then decide in July if I wanted to mow and nuke them seed some or all of the plot to brassicas again. Here's my summer planted clover with a month of growth.

IMG_20180812_152108730.jpg

• Like 2

I do all my plantings in no till. Sparayer, Spreader and a lawn roller. 

Balansa Clover is awesome for building soils. It also puts out a ton of BioMass. Its very Cold hardy as well. I put it in my fall mixes this year. Cereal Rye(very high in carbon, breaks down slower) Helps with no till plantings and is great for adding organic matter in soils. Holds moisture better than any other cereal grain as well. I always try to push people to use seed blends, especially when trying to build soils. Seeds that help each other, and offer more to the wildlife.. Some are preferred at different times(wet vs dry conditions) and mature at different rates. Gives wildlife an option at many times of the year, instead of just a mono-culture.. 

Buckwheat is good. Annual clovers. Peas, All these in a spring planted mix or Fall planted. I highly recommend not adding Fire to your food plots, just burn it down with Gly, and let it lay get your seed under the dead mat. It will suppress weeds and hold moisture in. Fire Helps improve things, but If it were me, i would not use it on your food plots. Only for areas you want to revive and not plant. 

Fire is like a restart option.. IMO

• Like 1

Here is one plot im trying to improve soil health this year.. With a May planted soil building mix.. Picture taken 7/10. 

Good mix for soil health, plus preferred deer foods as well. And the turkeys absolutely loved it too .. With the good rains we had since End of July, this plot is the best its ever been.  This plot lacks organic matter. So with the right seed blends planted, we get the best of both worlds..  

20180710_163755.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Here is one plot im trying to improve soil health this year.. With a May planted soil building mix.. Picture taken 7/10. 

Good mix for soil health, plus preferred deer foods as well. And the turkeys absolutely loved it too .. With the good rains we had since End of July, this plot is the best its ever been.  This plot lacks organic matter. So with the right seed blends planted, we get the best of both worlds..  

20180710_163755.jpg

Please Name your mix!

• Like 1

Is that buckwheat in that mix?

20180710_163755.thumb.jpg.4aabdd9ab1a45376fb66439e19b3056d.jpg

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk