What is there to hunt near las vegas ?

Hunter007

Nevada is a big state with widely varied arid terrain, it's game population is scattered throughout the state with species living in habitat they are best suited to. The hunting is decent but you have scout out where to go and do some traveling.

In Nevada, upland game bird species include blue and ruffed grouse, sage grouse, chukar and Hungarian partridge, snowcock, ring-necked pheasant, California, Gambel’s and mountain quail, and North American wild turkey.

Small game species include cottontail, pygmy and white-tailed jack rabbits. Falconry seasons are in effect for waterfowl (all migratory bird stamp requirements apply), dove, chukar, sage, blue and ruffed grouse, pheasant, Himalayan snowcock, Hungarian partridge, quail and rabbit.

Coyotes are an unprotected species in Nevada. They can be hunted by both resident and non-residents in the state without a hunting license

Big game offers several species, Deer Tags $30.00 Antelope Tags $60.00 Black Bear Tags $100.00 Bighorn Sheep Tags $120.00 Elk Tags $120.00 Rocky Mountain Goat Tags $120.00 Mountain Lion Tags $29.00

Al

Edited by airedale

5 minutes ago, Steve D said:

The only thing I would be hunting in or anywhere near Vegas is AC. Why anyone would want to hunt in any of those hot states and deal with those temperatures is beyond me.

Actually the real hot weather is in the summer months, during the time period most of the hunting seasons in the southwest states are going on it is not bad.

The Nevada weather carry vary quite a bit within the state but an overall snapshot shows an average of over 265 days of sunshine per year, the pleasant, semi-desert climate is hard to beat!

During the summer months, high temperatures average around 90 F; during the winter, around 45 F. Average annual rainfall is approximately 11 inches, and average annual snowfall is 22 inches.

• Like 1

I thought I remembered reading that big game hunting in Nevada had a strict quota system, and it was virtually impossible to get tags over the counter.   I think the linked article below pretty much confirms this.  Without a lot of prior planning and applying one won't be hunting the big stuff in Nevada.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/may/30/a-guide-to-huning-in-nevada/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

There is a lots of hunting in Nevada. Not sure why some are saying there isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Nevada is big. Las Vegas is in the bottom corner, surrounded by desert for hundreds of miles in every direction.

My father (big hunter) retired there, and eventually died there. I've been there many times to visit. The only time he hunted was when he got an invite to go to Utah. When I went to sell his guns for my mother, I was constantly lowballed, the excuse being, "nobody hunts around here, sorry".

The O.P. asked if there is anywhere CLOSE to hunt there, I would still say no. Unless you want to go out at night & shoot jackrabbits or coyotes (if you are lucky). There are a LOT of bighorn sheep near Vegas, but you have a better chance of hitting the Powerball than drawing a tag for them. Supposedly there are mule deer on Mount Charleston, but I've never seen any.

My take was that the O.P. was going on a vacation, and wanted to take a day or two to hunt. Just about every species in Nevada requires drawing a tag, making plans & arrangements months or years in advance, maybe hiring an outfitter, having a 4WD truck or horses, etc. Not something you just decide to do at the spur of the moment.

If you look at the map, the areas in Nevada that are promising to hunt are HUNDREDS of miles to the north of Las Vegas. Logistically, you'd be much closer to hunting spots in Utah or Arizona, but still, this requires putting in for tags and picking the right week to travel.

Personally, if I was picking a spur-of-the moment hunt, I'd make the drive to California, and hunt for turkeys in the spring, or hogs any time. Licenses are OTC, and there are healthy populations of both. It would take you the same amount of time as driving to Carson City or Reno, and cost a lot less in the long run.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
Desert only has 1 "s"
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, airedale said:

Actually the real hot weather is in the summer months, during the time period most of the hunting

Still pretty warm for hunting as far as I am concerned but to each their own

Average Las Vegas temperatures

High °F Low °F   High °C Low °C 58 39 January 14 4 63 43 February 17 6 70 49 March 21 10 78 56 April 26 13 89 66 May 32 19 99 75 June 37 24 104 81 July 40 27 102 79 August 39 26 94 71 September 34 22 81 59 October 27 15 66 47 November 19 8 57 39 December 14 4

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

is that the gate to area 51?

No just some random point on the road that looked cool to stop and take a picture of  actually that was on the California side of the border  on route 155 .

Between California and navada  most low elevation you find desserts and as you go up at higher elevations you get less of it and more grasslands and pine and Oak forest up high .  And that's where you find most the big game at the higher elevations where its green I was told by the locals  

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Still pretty warm for hunting as far as I am concerned but to each their own

Average Las Vegas temperatures

High °F Low °F   High °C Low °C 58 39 January 14 4 63 43 February 17 6 70 49 March 21 10 78 56 April 26 13 89 66 May 32 19 99 75 June 37 24 104 81 July 40 27 102 79 August 39 26 94 71 September 34 22 81 59 October 27 15 66 47 November 19 8 57 39 December 14 4

Vegas is low they got mountains with in hour drive that are over 8000 feet it gets  cooler there  with pine forest and grasslands those are the areas people go hunting at .

Edited by Storm914

I'd bet many here first picked up their wives/girlfriends/future wives at a bar

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Exactly. She didn’t think he’d take his pants and shirt off in the bar, but she was wrong! Those were the days of disposable cameras so we didn’t realize we had that pic until we got hometo NY and got 1 hour photos developed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What’s wrong with my buddy picking up A girl at a bar?

Yeah, he was picking her up and you two bozos were drooling all over her with your tongues hanging out .  If I ever catch my son showing off a picture like that, never mind posting them on the internet I'll be sure to give him a good kick in the a$$ and smack upside the head.  Take this any way you want.  That's how I feel about it.  I also have a daughter and any clown that would post unrespectful pictures of her on the internet would get the same treatment, be it partly her fault or not.

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Yeah, he was picking her up and you two bozos were drooling all over her with your tongues hanging out .  If I ever catch my son showing off a picture like that, never mind posting them on the internet I'll be sure to give him a good kick in the a$$ and smack upside the head.  Take this any way you want.  That's how I feel about it.  I also have a daughter and any clown that would post unrespectful pictures of her on the internet would get the same treatment, be it partly her fault or not.

I have a hard time believing you are innocent of any wrong doings of this nature.

• Like 1

I drove through Nevada on my way to California in 1976. I may have stopped for gas. I don't really remember but I know I didn't didn't grab either lunch or a room for the night. I'll die before I drive through again. Ta ta. For what it's worth I'll die before I ever visit California again. There's my cork in the wine. My tolerance for these places has fallen through the floor.

• Like 1