What is there to hunt near las vegas ?

Hunter007

Yeah, he was picking her up and you two bozos were drooling all over her with your tongues hanging out .  If I ever catch my son showing off a picture like that, never mind posting them on the internet I'll be sure to give him a good kick in the a$$ and smack upside the head.  Take this any way you want.  That's how I feel about it.  I also have a daughter and any clown that would post unrespectful pictures of her on the internet would get the same treatment, be it partly her fault or not.

That’s a bad girl. She made my poor friend take his clothes off in a bar. She kept hers on. Don’t you feel bad for my friend? That’s the most G Rated pic I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/21/2018 at 11:20 PM, Storm914 said:

I saw some jack rabbits and wild horses   20180921_142620.thumb.jpg.83d7416f634456afd7a93cb7813c8369.jpgup in the mountains about 1 hour from vegas 

20180921_142602.jpg

Don't get caught hunting horses.  Killing them for food has been illegal in the US for many years.   I think Canada and Mexico may still allow it however.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Don't get caught hunting horses.  Killing them for food has been illegal in the US for many years.   I think Canada and Mexico may still allow it however.  

Horses have no racks dont think there are many  people in north America starving enough to bother hunting them anyway even if it was legal 

So your saying you would actually eat and hunt a horse wolfc123  ?

Edited by Storm914

5 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Horses have no racks dont think there are many  people in north America starving enough to bother hunting them anyway even if it was legal 

So your saying you would actually eat and hunt a horse wolfc123  ?

I would not rule it out if it was legal.  Even in America, armies have been sustained by eating their horses when times got tough in days gone by.  Horse meat remains popular in some countries today.   I have no particular love for horses myself, and have witnessed them break up several of my good friends marriages.  One of my divorced buddies refers to horses as: Hay-burning-(starts with "s")-makers.         

Edited by wolc123

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I would not rule it out if it was legal.  Even in America, armies have been sustained by eating their horses when times got tough in days gone by.  Horse meat remains popular in some countries today.   I have no particular love for horses myself, and have witnessed them break up several of my good friends marriages.  One of my divorced buddies refers to horses as: Hay-burning-(starts with "s")-makers.         

If it comes down to eating a horse or starving to death yea I would too .that goes with out saying but to go out west to hunt one when you got money to buy food no way !!! would I hunt one 

No thanks .

Edited by Storm914

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Keep with it, you will catch on in a few more years mountain man.  

Ok, I'll play.  Where are you traveling to to hunt wild horses, if legal, to feed your family?  What does that cost and how is it possible that that money could not be better spent on other common food sources close to home?  Do you raise rabbits or chickens?  Do you forgo shopping at grocery stores and source all of your own food?  When will you cut off your internet to reallocate the funds for food procurement?  Why not just shoot stray local dogs?

Wolc, the alternatives are nearly endless before you or anyone else in NY will ever be forced to hunt wild horses to avoid starvation.  So to say you'd consider hunting wild horses, if legal in the U.S., and justify that as a necessary means of procuring food for your family, is about as ridiculous as anything you've posted here.  Thanks for the laugh!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Ok, I'll play.  Where are you traveling to to hunt wild horses, if legal, to feed your family?  What does that cost and how is it possible that that money could not be better spent on other common food sources close to home?  Do you raise rabbits or chickens?  Do you forgo shopping at grocery stores and source all of your own food?  When will you cut off your internet to reallocate the funds for food procurement?  Why not just shoot stray local dogs?

Wolc, the alternatives are nearly endless before you or anyone else in NY will ever be forced to hunt wild horses to avoid starvation.  So to say you'd consider hunting wild horses, if legal in the U.S., and justify that as a necessary means of procuring food for your family, is about as ridiculous as anything you've posted here.  Thanks for the laugh!

I know that horses eat a lot.  Back in the 1940's, when they provided the primary power on our farm, several acres of land were required for each in order to feed them.   If a wild population were ever established, here in WMU 9F,  I would not have to travel to hunt them.  I would hunt them, even if they tasted bad,  in order to save my food-plots for the deer.   Much like I kill raccoons (for fertilizer) right now.  I can not imagine any situation where I would spend any money to travel and hunt horses, unless they turned out to be really good eating and we ran out of whitetails. 

At this point, 3.5 whitetail deer per year provide the majority of the protein that our family of (4) requires.  We didn't need that much, when it was just my wife and I, but our daughters are consuming a little more every year.  It must be doing them some good based on how well they are doing in high-school sports.  I also supplement that with "free" fish from NY waters. I limit that severely because of health advisories and try to keep within the guidelines that are printed in the back of the DEC handout that they give you when you buy your license.   It is too bad that lake Ontario salmon and Adirondack smallmouth bass are so "toxic", or I could probably get by with one or two less deer every year.  Our whole family loves fish.

My folks raise laying hens, over in the adjacent town, and they provide us with all the eggs that we can eat.  We do grow some fruits and vegetables on our farm, as do my folks.  We do get most of those from the store, along with some chicken and pork on rare occasion.  The kids had a couple of rabbits as pets, and now they have two cats and a guinea pig.  I would love to try eating a guinea pig, and I hear they are very popular in Peru.  As far as dogs go, I think they are on the Biblical "do not eat" list.  Also, I have noted that even crows will not eat coyote carcasses, so I can only imagine that a dog would not taste so good.      

How is your crossbow situation going ?  I am a little concerned with mine because I had to make a big adjustment when sighting it in last week.   I will make sure to try it again a few more times prior to my first hunt up north on October 12.   My muzzleloader was right on the mark however so I am good to go up there on  October 13th and 14th.  We are in half-way decent shape right now with venison (five packs of grind, about dozen roasts and two packs of backstrap) left in the freezer.   It won't be the end of the world, if my crossbow will not perform to my satisfaction, and I have to fish all day on the 12th.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I know that hoses eat a lot.  Back in the 1940's, when they provided the primary power on our farm, several acres of land were required for each in order to feed them.   If a wild population were ever established, here in WMU 9F,  I would not have to travel to hunt them.  I would hunt them, even if they tasted bad,  in order to save my food-plots for the deer.   Much like I kill raccoons (for fertilizer) right now.  I can not imagine any situation where I would spend any money to travel and hunt horses, unless they turned out to be really good eating and we ran out of whitetails. 

At this point, 3.5 whitetail deer per year provide the majority of the protein that our family of (4) requires.  We didn't need that much, when it was just my wife and I, but our daughters are consuming a little more every year.  It must be doing them some good based on how well they are doing in high-school sports.  I also supplement that with "free" fish from NY waters. I limit that severely because of health advisories and try to keep within the guidelines that are printed in the back of the DEC handout that they give you when you buy your license.   It is too bad that lake Ontario salmon and Adirondack smallmouth bass are so "toxic", or I could probably get by with one or two less deer every year.  Our whole family loves fish.

My folks raise laying hens, over in the adjacent town, and they provide us with all the eggs that we can eat.  We do grow some fruits and vegetables on our farm, as do my folks.  We do get most of those from the store, along with some chicken and pork on rare occasion.  The kids had a couple of rabbits as pets, and now they have two cats and a guinea pig.  I would love to try eating a guinea pig, and I hear they are very popular in Peru.  As far as dogs go, I think they are on the Biblical "do not eat" list.  Also, I have noted that even crows will not eat coyote carcasses, so I can only imagine that a dog would not taste so good.      

How is your crossbow situation going ?  I am a little concerned with mine because I had to make a big adjustment when sighting it in last week.   I will make sure to try it again a few more times prior to my first hunt up north on October 12.   My muzzleloader was right on the mark however so I am good to go up there on  October 13th and 14th.  We are in half-way decent shape right now with venison (five packs of grind, about dozen roasts and two packs of backstrap) left in the freezer.   It won't be the end of the world, if my crossbow will not perform to my satisfaction, and I have to fish all day on the 12th.  

My current xbow situation stinks, actually.  I won't field the Barnett Jackal again and do not have another xbow; at the moment other priorities are dominating.  However, like you, it will not be the end of the world here either if my hunting is limited to the regular season and the 3 tags I have to fill.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

My current xbow situation stinks, actually.  I won't field the Barnett Jackal again and do not have another xbow; at the moment other priorities are dominating.  However, like you, it will not be the end of the world here either if my hunting is limited to the regular season and the 3 tags I have to fill.

Thanks for the reply.  My wife just stuffed peppers with a pack of venison grind for a crock-pot recipe.  I won't be able to enjoy the leftovers, until tomorrow, because I "volunteered" for 2nd shift duty at work this week.   Our supply is dwindling fast (especially grind), so I hope to fill a tag early.  I probably will not be too selective.  A 3-pointer got hit by a car right at the end of our driveway, the night before last.  If it hadn't appeared to take so much road damage (had a busted leg, guts hanging out, and tip broke of of its only brow-tine), I probably would have got a tag from the police and cut it up for grind.   It had an average-sized body, but a very narrow rack.  The beams curved inward, instead of outward, a possible record for the narrowest spread 1-1/2 year old.   It is a good thing that a car got it instead of me.   It would not have done me much good in the 2018 whitetail challenge. 

Three pointers seem to be in the gene pool around here.  I killed a few when I was younger, and my next-door neighbor's nephew killed one, that I had passed with my crossbow a few weeks earlier, on Thanksgiving morning 2016.   I heard his shot, less than 50 yards from the edge on one of my corn plots.  That one had a tiny body, not bigger than a few of the buttons that I have taken thru the years.   Fortunately, it's big brother showed up for me about 2 minutes after I passed it.  I know there are some folks who regret passing deer, especially when they end up with "tag-soup".   I could probably count the number of legal bucks that I have passed, in 35 years of hunting, on both hands.  There has not been a single time when I was not rewarded with a larger one later.  I had to say "legal", because last season I passed the only buck I saw during gun season, and I ended up with tag-soup.   

The glitch there, was that the buck was on posted land, during the whole time when he offered me a shot.   Fortunately, that happened on a Saturday morning and my "rough luck" convinced me that a change of some type was needed.  I decided to skip the morning hunt the next day and take the family to Church instead.  Guess what happened about 2 hours after the Lutheran Church service, when I walked out back for a "mid-day" hunt: 

5a2472ff0e122_DoeDec32017.jpg.022ec9c789ea7c3f390bf88ff07297d9.jpg

- many folks will call that just a "coincidence".  One thing is for sure:  Our family would have been forced to eat a lot more chicken, were it not for a constant stream of "coincidences", over the last 15 years or so.  I use to only consider a season as completely successful, if I filled both of my buck tags.  Now, I have changed my tune a little.  The grind from that 1-1/2 year old doe was a lot more tender than that from the older buck that I took with my crossbow.  Now, I will consider a season a complete success if we end up with enough meat to last until the next year, even if all of it comes from does.   

p.s.: if you blow up the picture and look real close, you can see that is not a bullet hole in the side of the rump.  A full tilt running shot at 50 yards, forward on the shoulder blade, dropped her dead in her tracks.    A little disappointment was that the shot cost me a neck-roast, which I had been looking forward to all year.  Hopefully, I will remember to make one this year.   Good luck to you deer hunting this season, whichever weapon you do it with.