Distances you've killed deer with ? Archery that is

turkeyfeathers

I like to keep mine 25yds & under even though I practice farther. Main reason being I want to have a reasonable expectation I can see what the arrow does and where it hits or misses. Important thing to remember is when you make a shot; visually mark a easy identifiable spot before you get down or take a step. It makes it a lot easier to find the spot to look and I don't trust my judgement much beyond 30 yards. The farther you shoot the harder it is to find the arrow/blood trail unless it drops in it's tracks which I have never seen.

Closer shots also give one the opportunity to watch the deer after it is hit and get a better handle of what direction it is heading and how bad it is hit.

Closer the better for me;)

• Like 1

Farthest was 47 and closest was 5. Both from the ground actually. The 47 I thought was right about 40-41 and misjudged. The 5 I thought the arrow was going to hit the deer before it cleared the string lol!

Most of the deer I have shot with bow have been from a tree stand and 15-25 yards my limit is 40 on unalerted deer in good conditions.

The real "sweet spot" for range with archery equipment is between 15 and 20 yards.  With closer shots from a tree stand, the shot angle is a little steep for a good "double lunger" broadside shot.   25-35 yards is the range where "string-jump" is a concern, especially if the deer are alert as they often are if they get a glimpse of your draw or if they are responding to a grunt or rattle call.   In these situations, a low heart shot is a good point of aim because they will almost always drop down when they hear that bow release, especially in calm, light-wind situations.   

If and when you develop confidence and ability for longer range shots (35 - 55 yards), string-jump is a lesser concern because that is beyond the whitetails "danger-zone" in which they react quickly to the sound of a bow's release.  I have killed about a dozen at less than 55, with archery tackle (vertical and crossbow) and just one at slightly beyond.   That was on a dead calm day and that buck never flinched until the arrow had pierced his heart.  I have also struck and lost four with my vertical bows (I remember those more than the recovered kills) , and all of them were hit at a range of 18 - 25 yards, (3) in the shoulder blade and one too far back.   The primary cause of those bad hits (which all happened more than 15 years ago) was "string-jump".     

I wish you the best of luck this season and everyone is right about it being a great time to be in the woods.   The limited effective range of archery equipment adds difficulty but not as much as the reduced hunting pressure (and lack of gun-shots) removes.      

Edited by wolc123

In the 9 years Ive been bowhunting I took one deer at about 43 yards, but most shots are 20 and under. Last year I missed a shot at 25 yards (used 20 pin) and years ago I missed one at 30. My max range is 40 yards this year since I have had a lot of practice and in the many 3D shoots ive done, ive only had a couple not so good shots at 40. Most shots are under 20 yards for most people thankfully so long shots arent common. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 1:55 PM, G-Man said:

i will say this if you practice at 40 and further closer shots become automatic. your form.and aim get honed by shooting long range but expect your shot at game to be closer.

100% accurate, i have missed more times than i feel comfortable admitting, but last year i started practicing at 50 and 60 yards, amd when i finally had a deer at 40, i made the kill, and it seemed easy. Now, im afraid to target shoot at 20 or 25 yards because id be splitting arrows left and right. You should practice at least at 40 yards, because the majority of you shots will be 20 t 30 yards, and it will seem so easy

2 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

100% accurate, i have missed more times than i feel comfortable admitting, but last year i started practicing at 50 and 60 yards, amd when i finally had a deer at 40, i made the kill, and it seemed easy. Now, im afraid to target shoot at 20 or 25 yards because id be splitting arrows left and right. You should practice at least at 40 yards, because the majority of you shots will be 20 t 30 yards, and it will seem so easy

yes i have several 3d tsrgets 1 arrow at each.. robin hoods are nice when i used aluminum arrows 20 years ago amd a do,zen was 18 bucks.. no way i want to come close to robinhooding a 20 dollar shaft x2 cause both are usually shot