Problem with Raccoons

Ford

Hey guys, maybe some of you have had to deal with this before.

So I Have a big problem with Raccoons in my Garage. They are crapping everywhere. I plan on getting one of those have a heart traps, and trapping them.

At first I was a little squeamish about shooting a caged animal, but it must be done. Might sound like a dumb question, but what's the best way to do it. Head shot? From outside the trap? Stick barrel in? I probably would use my 22 magnum.

Got a place to drown them ??  That's the least messy option...Drop them in the creek or the pond trap and all....

Shooting a trapped animal with a .22 mag sounds like you may have issues with overpenetration..

A .22 rimfire with CB shorts between the eyes would be a better option..

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rachunter said:

If your going to use a have a heart trap why not take it for a ride. Twenty miles or more if you can get a river or major highway in between even better,But to answer your question one behind the ear like they do in Brooklyn yo [sorry couldn't resist]

Yeah, not really am option. I don't know how many I have, and cant be driving around with raccoons, lol. Plus not legal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Got a place to drown them ??  That's the least messy option...Drop them in the creek or the pond trap and all....

Shooting a trapped animal with a .22 mag sounds like you may have issues with overpenetration..

Ok. I have a pond so yes. But how humane is that? Do they die quick?

2 minutes ago, Ford said:

Yeah, not really am option. I don't know how many I have, and cant be driving around with raccoons, lol. Plus not legal.

I just noticed your on long island.I trapped and moved 14 coons when I first moved into my house in Patchogue.Then I gave up they never thinned out.I'd be more worred about cracking off a round then dumping a few in the parks.  Drowning is quick and easy a better option.

• Like 2

Just removed 7 from friends chicken coop. They killed all his chickens in 2 nights and destroyed his shed.  Bait box trap with cut apples , stick a piece of bread  covered in peanut butter to bottom of trap pan. Take trap out of garage , stick barrel in between holes in cage , between eyes and good night Irene. I’ve heard a 2 liter pop bottle on end of barrel dulls the sound a lot.  Only hear say :rolleyes:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Drop them off for a swim and avoid the messy cleanup.

• Like 2

Between the eyes can be a little too far forward, depending on the shot angle.  The spot you want to hit, with a .22 rimfire, is the intersections of an "X" formed between the eyes and ears (imagine lines connecting the right eye / left ear and vise-versa).  The bullet should enter perpendicular to the the skull at the intersection of that 'X".   You will know you hit the right spot if the animal begins violent uncontrolled flopping right after the shot.   If opossums are the culprit, a second "double" lunger is a good idea.  They have a tiny "pea-brain" and often play their name if you miss it.   If you catch a skunk, a shotgun load of # 6's to the head from 10-15 yards upwind always does the trick and keeps them from releasing any spray.  I have heard that throwing a blanket over the cage, then drowning also prevents spray with them. I would be afraid to get that close to a cage with a live skunk in it.   

NY state allows landowners to "take" - meaning kill, "damaging" coons, opossums, and skunks WITHOUT a permit, however taking "nuisance" coons does require a DEC permit.  You can google the DEC table of these details, which was recently posted here on another thread.    I would say a "crapped-up" garage constitutes damage that would be acceptable by most conservation officers.  I am sure there is a current or former member or two here who may disagree.  What would we talk about without such folks who are very concerned for the well-being of the cuddly little furry animals and don't give a crap about you or I.    The DEC does require burying or cremating the animals immediately, if they are "taken" prior to the opening of trapping hunting/season.   After that, you can just chuck them out in the field to feed the buzzards (unless you want to skin them for the quarter that the hide might fetch at auction).   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I have had 

7 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If you catch a skunk, a shotgun load of # 6's to the head from 10-15 yards upwind always does the trick and keeps them from releasing any spray.  I have heard that throwing a blanket over the cage, then drowning also prevents spray with them. I would be afraid to get that close to a cage with a live skunk in it.   

I have had the opposite experience with skunks.  I have shot plenty with #6s and they usually don't spray.  On the other hand, I have thrown a tarp over many skunks and haven't been sprayed moving them to the farm pond.  That's not to say it couldn't happen.  Just my experiences, not a strong recommendation either way.  

Edited by stubborn1VT
typo

2 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I have had 

I have had the opposite experience with skunks.  I have shot plenty with #6s and they usually don't spray.  On the other hand, I have thrown a tarp over many skunks and haven't been sprayed moving them to the farm pond.  That's not to say it couldn't happen.  Just my experiences, not a strong recommendation either way.  

I never tried the drowning thing but a dozen or so that caught the shotgun lead never released any scent.  I stand just far enough from the cage, so that the wad does not push in the wires too much, and I make sure that the pattern is centered on the head.  Maybe you were a little far off when you shot the "sprayers".   I am not much of a turkey hunter, but they say "patterning" your shotgun is important for that.   It sounds like it also is for us "skunk-shooters".   

My Dad had a barrel he’d put the trap in, place lid on barrel, Then he removed the muffler from lawn mower, and had a hose with a fitting that screwed onto where the muffler was, hose went into an opening in the lid .

Worked pretty fast .

OK, so you probably won't believe this, but it's true - when we bought our house in Westchester (10 years ago), there were TONS of ratcoons (as my then 4 year old called them) in our backyard.  It's a rocky hillside, with lots of "caves", some of them very large (really, you can shine a flashlight into them, and they're the size of of a small NYC apartment).  Our predecessors here, a nice elderly couple, reportedly thought they were "cute", and fed them (much to the dismay of the neighbors).  One night right after we moved in, we counted 32 - that's right, thirty-two - of the little bastards at once, on the rocks behind the house.  Probably six families, each with their own "cave".  

The hillside smelled awful of ratcoon poop, and the filthy things were ridden with parasites.  I HATED THEM.  I mean, I don't hate much (other than D*ke University, a word my children are forbidden to speak), but I HATE raccoons.  

It has taken me 10 years to get rid of them.  I tried trapping, had several "have-a-hearts".  This required picking up the traps with beast inside (heavy), lugging the damn thing to my truck or car (disgusting), carrying them far away (waste of time and gas), and releasing them (risky, the little bastards are mean when released) (also I was spotted once doing it by some do-gooder who gave me a hard time).  

I eventually took to shooting the damn things.  I bought a high-end PCP pellet rifle, and loaded a few of them up with pellets.  They didn't die.  Amazing, how tough these filthy critters are.  

Finally, I went back to the traps.  But no, I'm not wasting my time and gas driving them up-county to release (only to be harassed by jerks), I took them into the garage, put the trap down on a large garbage bag, and put a single .22 hollow point into the head of each one.  Instant death.  Humane (if you care), and clean.  Then I put the carcass in a garbage bag with a bunch of other garbage, and on the street. 

At this point, I seem to have only one family hanging on.  I'm thinking of using my  new crossbow to take these out.  Nice practice, quick and clean.  Cost - a broadhead and possibly an arrow per critter.  I can live with that. 

I HATE RACCOONS. 

Edited by jmark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, sardines as bait. Generic ones for ~$1/can will work. A coon or opossum aren't overly discriminating, if it smells, they'll go after it! Center bait in area behind the trigger paddle, otherwise they'll reach in from outside the trap & feast on your sardine bait.

A well place 22LR or mag to top of head is instantaneous. Some blood, not a lot. If it turns out to  be a skunk in the trap, have no advice. Have heard they won't spay if you sneak-up on the trap and cover it with a towel/blanket. Not sure what you do then......possibly the drowning method!?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helmut in the bush said:

Put a sardine in a live trap, you will catch the coon, fill a drum or big garbage can with water, throw the whole thing in the water in the morning. You'll probably catch a cat or two also.

Sardines are too good to waste.  Peanut butter works (and I dislike it anyway)....

• Like 1

wow you lucky not to be in the city. Here in queens racoons like trees have rights. I called 311 [ aka the rat line] cause my cat got bite by a racoon and his face was all puffed up and the vet had $ signs in her eyes and hit me for $800 and told them about the racoons. I mean my wife almost got bit putting out the garbage cans out . Now city employees are well known to be courteous and totally  professional:wink: and the woman[ I was going to use another word but I cant say that here] and she screamed DO NOT HARM  racoons they are wildlife and are protected and you will be heavily fined.She used their favorite catch phrase what you need to do is call a exterminator  $$$$$ or get hav-a-heart traps and gently release them to the wild.

1 minute ago, tommyc50 said:

wow you lucky not to be in the city. Here in queens racoons like trees have rights. I called 311 [ aka the rat line] cause my cat got bite by a racoon and his face was all puffed up and the vet had $ signs in her eyes and hit me for $800 and told them about the racoons. I mean my wife almost got bit putting out the garbage cans out . Now city employees are well known to be courteous and totally  professional:wink: and the woman[ I was going to use another word but I cant say that here] and she screamed DO NOT HARM  racoons they are wildlife and are protected and you will be heavily fined.She used their favorite catch phrase what you need to do is call a exterminator  $$$$$ or get hav-a-heart traps and gently release them to the wild.

I wouldn't last long in queens... Hi from nassau