Got your opening day spot picked out yet?

Robhuntandfish

2 weeks from today folks (even sooner for the Northern end) .  Got your tree or stand picked out for the opener? I have my choices setup for a west or east wind.  Because i am damn ready !  

I have these images across my screen saver all day!  first two - east wind pm/am choices , next two west wind pm/am choices.  Starting off in some early Doe spots on field edges - try to get a nanny for the freezer early.  No big buck pics yet so am gonna concentrate on some early meat and see what progresses. Usually early season pm's are best for me on these field edges. 

Madison view.jpg

Stota - roadkill stand.jpg

Vernon greenfield 1.jpg

0525161426.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4

Haven't even touched the bow yet, let alone scouted.  Between selling our home and having to move into a temporary apt until we closed on the new house, moving twice, haven't had time.  

Keep the pics coming.  I'm getting me hunting fix though you guys.. lol

• Like 1

A late season 3 wheeler ride around the parameter of the place we hunt has me confused. 2 Saturdays ago I noticed the neighbors behind us are filled with thick ass thorns again . That used to be the bedding area and they used a specific route of travel. I also saw 2 big bucks watching me ride by not far from there. I put some trail cameras in spots to either confirm or deny my suspicions.  I should know this saturday and will already have the stands in place . I'm really trying to get my dad first crack at a deer before they head to Florida mid October for the winter.

• Like 2

I left my stands out from last year but got my blinds out this past weekend. My stands except 1 are kinda far for me taking a bow shot so I'll probably use a blind the 1st weekend,I set the blinds within bow range for me since I didn't want to move stands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JRod 8G8H said:

Shot a couple dozen arrows yesterday.. I will get out of work around 4 and drive about 20 mins to my stand for a couple hour evening sit... Last year i saw 23 deer opening morning... Hoping weather drops soon.. Good luck

thats got to get you excited for the opener for sure 23 deer - some dont see that all season.  Good luck as well.  Looks like its gonna cool down too

• Like 1

I am getting real antsy for opening day. I think i might sit in a stand at a valley bottom,transition area between evergreens and hardwoods,and it has some apple trees close by,also some grass. 

Unless i change my mind and sit somewhere else entirely...I want to try some new areas on the 300 acres i hunt.

Mother nature picked mine this year. It does happen to also be the stand I have harvested 2 of my biggest bucks from, but this year the 2 Oaks this stand over-looks are the only ones dropping acorns and the area has been busy with feeding deer. 1 decent 3 year old on cam so far in this spot. I am however looking for a 4 year old or better this year. I have little desire to shoot anything less at the moment. This year my energies are going into getting my nephew and a friend, both just certified, onto their first buck kills. If I can achieve this, I will be happy to eat tag soup. 

• Like 1

Since they moved opening day to the 1st, I'm not real serious until mid to late October.  First up for me will be accompanying my grandson for youth season. Early bow hunting for me, will be at the lake property. Always plenty of early action there. And won't sit my good stands until I'm pretty sure the deer I'm looking for are on their feet, later in the month.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grampy said:

Since they moved opening day to the 1st, I'm not real serious until mid to late October.  First up for me will be accompanying my grandson for youth season. Early bow hunting for me, will be at the lake property. Always plenty of early action there. And won't sit my good stands until I'm pretty sure the deer I'm looking for are on their feet, later in the month.

I do the same.  I hunt the fringes and field edges mostly early season for a freezer doe, then work back late in Oct to areas where there seems to be more buck action.   But ya never know.....