plea deal...wth

G-Man

2 minutes ago, Waldershrek said:

Didn't know DEC was using DNA these days

Been for years . A good ten years ago we had a poacher issue, the DEC cop asked me to get sample from dead buck I found . Said he could take samples from  poachers saws,knives and so on and match them .

With what many spend on bows,guns,trucks,atvs land and so forth , I’m not sure  a $1,500 fine is much of a deterrent to,many .

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Waldershrek said:

Didn't know DEC was using DNA these days

Several years ago I had a tresspasser/poacher issue. DEC officer took sample from gut pile. Caught the guy later that day and confiscated the deer. DNA matched, guys got what they had coming.

Deer wasn't wasted, I told the officer to donate it. It was Thanksgiving day and he had a list of needy folks. He called me later to express their appreciation.

• Like 1

unbelievable the amount of work that went into increase the poaching fines just a little bit. even more to realize how much lawmakers neutered/lowered it to pass, plus the fact that one conservation group kept trashing the effort.  i just hoped that covered all the overhead to make the charges happen.

$1500.00.  LMAO.

In most other states it would be $25 - $50 per inch.

I would say that buck is ~120"

Bare minimum, it should be a $3,000.00 fine.  

Don't believe me?  In Ohio, a guy poached a 142 and 144 (total 286).  His fine was $7,100.00 and I still think that is too low.  
7100 / 286 = $25 per inch.

Some states are much more especially for elk out West.  Plus this guy shot it where you are not allowed to hunt.  That fine is a joke.

• Like 1