Lets Age Some 8 Points

The_Real_TCIII

Just now, jperch said:

Old enough!  Did you ever get any daytime pictures of him?

jperch

Lol.  Not a damn one.  That's why we nicknamed him the "Dark Knight" 

Last year I had deer in the freezer early and hunted just for this big boy and one other 9 point on another property.  Tried rattling during the rut, hoping to bring him out once.  No way.  

I passed a nice 7 point and got close twice to the 9 on the other property but have never seen this boy on the hoof.  And probably never will but I like knowing he's around.  

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Last year I had deer in the freezer early and hunted just for this big boy and one other 9 point on another property.  Tried rattling during the rut, hoping to bring him out once.  No way.  

I passed a nice 7 point and got close twice to the 9 on the other property but have never seen this boy on the hoof.  And probably never will but I like knowing he's around.  

I guess that's how a buck manages to turn into a horse like that.  Still, very nice to know there is one like that around.  Hope you get to lay eyes on him some day.

jperch

• Like 1

Just now, jperch said:

I guess that's how a buck manages to turn into a horse like that.  Still, very nice to know there is one like that around.  Hope you get to lay eyes on him some day.

jperch

The neighbor properties all hunt as well, he must have a great spot to nap during the day.  And I'm betting it's probably downwind and within 100 yards of one of my stands.  Lol

Where we hunt it is thick and am guessing he has prob let me walk by him a time or two.  Need a real sexy doe to lure him out in the sunshine one time.  

Smart ole boy.   

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

that buck may not even breed. i firmly.believe some olde bucks just lay down inthe thick stuff and id a doe is there fine if not fine

He went from an 8 to a 9 last year.  So he was at least still on the incline.  We got pics of him at scrape locations only.  So think he's still a little active.  Or at least hoping.  He's def the biggest deer ive seen body wise.  But usually the properties I hunt might have one real good one, lots of gun hunters around us on every side.  Not too many bow hunters though.  

looks like all various 2.5 yr olds to me.  exception being the buck in the back in the 3rd picture Tacks posted. that buck is most likely 3.5 yrs old. i think the last buck Tacks posted is still a 2.5 yr old. it's a tough angle and can't see leg proportions, or head/ears proportion.  Separately, the one Rob posted is a trophy that happens to have small antlers. that buck is 5.5 yrs old all day.  give a natural age structure you should see more bucks in younger ages classes. makes sense. another thing to be careful of is times of the season. aging in velvet isn't really a great idea at all. then aging a buck in September will be very different than when it's fully jacked up come early November.

15 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

looks like all various 2.5 yr olds to me.  exception being the buck in the back in the 3rd picture Tacks posted. that buck is most likely 3.5 yrs old. i think the last buck Tacks posted is still a 2.5 yr old. it's a tough angle and can't see leg proportions, or head/ears proportion.  Separately, the one Rob posted is a trophy that happens to have small antlers. that buck is 5.5 yrs old all day.  give a natural age structure you should see more bucks in younger ages classes. makes sense. another thing to be careful of is times of the season. aging in velvet isn't really a great idea at all. then aging a buck in September will be very different than when it's fully jacked up come early November.

i would put that one on the wall for sure.  All the time we have tried to get sight of him and for the areas i hunt that is a big rack. But def small for his age and body.  Def a trophy by age and knowledge, esp to me. Would love to see him while in the stand even if i dont get a shot. 

got within 70 yards of this boy twice last year, but would still rather get a shot at that old 8 if given the choice. 

dream buck 2017 1.jpg

• Like 3

Real TC... I believe the 2018 pic is of a 3.5 yr old from my best guesses. And is the same buck as one or 2 of the 2017 pictures. I had a buck very similar to that.. rack wasnt much, you'd think a year or 2 behind what he should be.. but his body displayed him differently, big heavy body dominant boy..

I love older bucks that dont score well, in fact i like them more than bucks that do score well lol.   

Rob I would say your dealing with a 6.5yr old or older this year from the looks of those pics.  

Deer can have different body characteristics, and be of the same age. I have 2 bucks right now that are 9.5 yrs old.. both display a little different body types.. One is an absolute tank of a deer, heavy bodied old workhorse look, the other is of good size but doesnt really look like the tank the other one is.. Just a bigger deer with a big chest.  

hope you connect. 

• Like 2