Edible puffball?

zeus1gdsm

I slice them and use them instead of bread for "french toast". Dredge thru the egg and top with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon.

Alright alright....I’ll try them again!!!
Went and grabbed this one right now that I saw last night driving home.
9640ee2217da11c41f0e90911e1c3ae0.jpg

Hoping this is a better representation of your wild HS nights TF!??!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, crappyice said:

d22431561d30381d7f4524c7d0451700.jpg

Tastes like French toast on soggy bread...so why not just make fresh toast with GOOD BREAD...emoji15.pngemoji22.pngemoji38.png

Then you wouldn't be eating a wild mushroom!!

Ignore them and leave them alone. Let them dry out naturally and then stomp on them. Next year there will be a lot more of them.

• 2 months later...

I came on this thread to late! Shame on you for tossing the puff ball into the trash!!  That is a delicacy and done right is awesome. Fry it in the pan with lots of butter.  You can treat it like tofu.  One of my favs is ma pao tufu. Fry the shroom, add liberal amounts of spicy sauce, throw in real hot peppers as desired. Call me next time they pop up!!

I came on this thread to late! Shame on you for tossing the puff ball into the trash!!  That is a delicacy and done right is awesome. Fry it in the pan with lots of butter.  You can treat it like tofu.  One of my favs is ma pao tufu. Fry the shroom, add liberal amounts of spicy sauce, throw in real hot peppers as desired. Call me next time they pop up!!

No shot! I actually eat tofu in soups and puff balls are nothing like tofu....wet, Wonder bread is the closest taste and texture I can think of when it comes to a puffer!

Either you gotta pick a bit earlier or this fall screwed you up with all the rain. Several types of tofu.. silken/soft which is foul and should never be allowed in a males mouth. Or you have the firm tofu which is like a good puffball. You had to get a water logged one if it was soft.

Also if they are yellow inside, they are a goner. You could remove all traces of yellow and eat the rest if you catch it very very early. Mostly not worth worrying about at that point though. Don't forget to peel the outside layer off. Like removing your crust on the French toast.

Seriously... they are good picked when ripe, but not over ripe.  

Apparently there are wide ranging differences in people’s taste buds.  

In my opinion, puff balls are some of the best eating wild mushrooms we have.  They have a delicate flavor.  Easily overpowered by spices. Most fans agree they should be cooked slowly on low heat in butter.  Some folks  dip them in egg, roll in breadcrumbs and then sauté in butter or deep fry.  We usually slice them about 1/4 in thick.  

Forty years ago my wife wouldn’t touch them, said if we ate them we would all die.  Now I have to guard my plate so she won’t steal mine when I’m not looking. 

They are so easy to identify that any novice shroomer can feel safe giving them a try.  Apparently some people do suffer indigestion after eating, so first timers should sample a small amount at first.  That is sound advice for any mushroom. 

Wonder bread isn’t high on my list of foods, but puff balls rank right up near the top.