Field butchering deer

sits in trees

Alright, what about a doe.  Telling me I have to cut out the Vag and carry it with me. We have a female game warden in my area, lol. Also the part about all usable meat. At risk of offending I don't eat all the meat and am pretty selective with what I like to eat, same as when I buy steaks at the meat market. Is there any real reason I need to cart meat I'll never eat out if the woods. 

30 minutes ago, G-Man said:

nope antlered doe exist.  your bringing out the sack..

Yeah, so in this case will a hunter get fined for shooting a doe if he doesn't have a doe permit?   Absolutely not.  There was no way for the hunter to know that the antlered deer was a doe when he pulled the trigger if it had a set of antlers.

• Like 1

That would be pretty funny. I never get offended about this stuff but if you know someone that would like the meat that you don't like , better give it to them than the coyotes. Unless it's to heavy to carry, in which case I guess let the scavengers eat

Alright, what about a doe.  Telling me I have to cut out the Vag and carry it with me. We have a female game warden in my area, lol. Also the part about all usable meat. At risk of offending I don't eat all the meat and am pretty selective with what I like to eat, same as when I buy steaks at the meat market. Is there any real reason I need to cart meat I'll never eat out if the woods. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think we have been through this.  Gman or Buckmaster, can you find the reg that requires proof of sex?  Honestly proof of sex makes little sense since tags are not based on sex of the deer.  As a lawyer, I would be very comfortable arguing that the head is sufficient based on first bullet point and even that since its been reduced to meat (ie no longer a carcass) the tag with the meat is all that is required based on third bullet point.  The only one that says proof of sex must be intact is when you have a carcass minus the head in the fifth bullet point.  Maybe I am missing the correct regulation. 

Transporting

Deer and bear may be transported either inside or outside the vehicle.

• A deer carcass with head and deer carcass tag attached may be transported with the taker in attendance.
  • If someone other than the taker is transporting the deer, an additional tag supplied by the taker bearing the names and addresses of the consignee and taker must be attached to the carcass.
  • All portions of deer or bear meat being transported by the taker shall be individually tagged and the tags shall include the name, address, hunting license number, the date that the portions were cut, and the signature of the taker. Packaged or boxed portions of venison need only one tag and must be labeled "venison" on the outside of the box. If someone other than the taker is transporting the portions, an additional tag signed by the taker with the names and addresses of the consignee and taker is required for each portion.
  • Non-resident hunters: If your home state prohibits the importation of whole deer carcasses from NY, you will need to follow the above guidelines for transportation of individual or packaged portions of deer meat while in New York State
  • A deer carcass minus the head may be transported as above, but evidence of the sex of the deer must be intact. The deer carcass tag must be affixed to the carcass, and a tag supplied by the taker must also be attached showing the name and address of the taxidermist where the head was sent.
  • Heads of male deer may be transported to a taxidermist only if a tag supplied by the taker is attached bearing the taker's signature, address, hunting license number, number of points on each antler and the name and address of the taxidermist.
  • The head of a doe with antlers that are 3 inches or more can be removed for mounting. Follow the same procedure that you would use for a buck you are having mounted. (See above.)
Edited by moog5050

I think we have been through this.  Gman or Buckmaster, can you find the reg that requires proof of sex?  Honestly proof of sex makes little sense since tags are not based on sex of the deer.  As a lawyer, I would be very comfortable arguing that the head is sufficient based on first bullet point and even that since its been reduced to meat (ie no longer a carcass) the tag with the meat is all that is required based on second bullet point.  The only one that says proof of sex must be intact is when you have a carcass minus the head in the fifth bullet point.  Maybe I am missing the correct regulation. 

Transporting

Deer and bear may be transported either inside or outside the vehicle.
  • A deer carcass with head and deer carcass tag attached may be transported with the taker in attendance.
  • If someone other than the taker is transporting the deer, an additional tag supplied by the taker bearing the names and addresses of the consignee and taker must be attached to the carcass.
  • All portions of deer or bear meat being transported by the taker shall be individually tagged and the tags shall include the name, address, hunting license number, the date that the portions were cut, and the signature of the taker. Packaged or boxed portions of venison need only one tag and must be labeled "venison" on the outside of the box. If someone other than the taker is transporting the portions, an additional tag signed by the taker with the names and addresses of the consignee and taker is required for each portion.
  • Non-resident hunters: If your home state prohibits the importation of whole deer carcasses from NY, you will need to follow the above guidelines for transportation of individual or packaged portions of deer meat while in New York State
  • A deer carcass minus the head may be transported as above, but evidence of the sex of the deer must be intact. The deer carcass tag must be affixed to the carcass, and a tag supplied by the taker must also be attached showing the name and address of the taxidermist where the head was sent.
  • Heads of male deer may be transported to a taxidermist only if a tag supplied by the taker is attached bearing the taker's signature, address, hunting license number, number of points on each antler and the name and address of the taxidermist.
  • The head of a doe with antlers that are 3 inches or more can be removed for mounting. Follow the same procedure that you would use for a buck you are having mounted. (See above.)
Just realized that. Tags are antlered or antlerless not buck/doe. So the head has to be enough

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I think we have been through this.  Gman or Buckmaster, can you find the reg that requires proof of sex?  Honestly proof of sex makes little sense since tags are not based on sex of the deer.  As a lawyer, I would be very comfortable arguing that the head is sufficient based on first bullet point and even that since its been reduced to meat (ie no longer a carcass) the tag with the meat is all that is required based on second bullet point.  The only one that says proof of sex must be intact is when you have a carcass minus the head in the fifth bullet point.  Maybe I am missing the correct regulation. 

That is definitely my take on things.

I have been stopped at a deer checkpoint  by the DEC at least once that I remember when I had a box filled with a quartered up deer.  I did have the head in plastic bag next to the box and they surely didn't ask me to show any other proof of sex.

8 minutes ago, steve863 said:

That is definitely my take on things.

I have been stopped at a deer checkpoint  by the DEC at least once that I remember when I had a box filled with a quartered up deer.  I did have the head in plastic bag next to the box and they surely didn't ask me to show any other proof of sex.

I leave proof of sex in the field when field dressing, but I also leave the head intact with carcass.

52 minutes ago, sits in trees said:

I'll never hear or read the words deer and vagina without thinking of this movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1