Dislocated shoulder

SteveB

Any archers here ever dislocate a shoulder? What was your recovery like and long to feel comfortable pulling a bow?

Dislocated my right one last saturday (rh shooter). Worst pain of my life. Out for 7 hours with getting to and thru the ER. Pain was gone as soon as it went in. Wearing a brace now - just some soreness with limited vertical range of motion. Going slow till I see my ortho next week. 

shoulder1.jpg

I dislocated my shoulder playing football in 1980. I remember how much it hurt until the doctors were able to pop it back in. When I went to see the orthopedic surgeon and he told me that it would continue to pop out unless I had surgery. I put off the surgery thinking that if I was careful , I wouldn't have a problem. Then one night in my apartment , I went to reach for something out of the cabinet above the refrigerator and it just popped out. I started jumping and flailing my arm around to try to pop it back in. Boy did that f------- hurt ! Needless to say I went and had the surgery done. I ended up with a pin in my shoulder. Not sure what they would do today but heed the advice from your orthopedic doctor. 

Good luck SteveB……..I know your pain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Probably. Maybe last 2 weeks with a crossbow.

Yea that could be possible, hopefully!! 

I dislocated mine in high school pretty bad...........they took me to the hospital and knocked me out for quite awhile to jimmy it back in place.  It hurt like a SOB for weeks and had to be in a sling thing for about six weeks.  For 20 years it really wasn't ever the same.  Today it's a trouble spot in that it's never been as strong as it should be.  In 2011 I had four MRI's to find out WTH was going on as I had all kinds of issues with numbness and severe pain.  That turned out to be nerve damage from work and there was nothing they could do.  The Dr said after seeing the MRI's that I should be very careful in the future 'cause things were a mess in there. :(

Edited by Lawdwaz

Been reading a lot. Shoulder dislocations are 1 of the few injuries that is far harder for younger people to come back from. The younger you are at the 1st one, the higher the likelihood of having more and more serious ones. 

I'm 67 - 1st time. Was by far the worst pain I've ever had - way worse than my knee replacements. Amazed at how little it hurts now - and no bruising. Can actually lift the arm in the sling to near horizontal - probably further but not pushing it. See the ortho next week so just resting with ice and gentle movement/stretching for now. Thought at the time I may have ripped the cuff - actually feeling pretty fortunate right now.

Nice to have 1 advantage over you young pups;)

Edited by SteveB

After I had my shoulder surgery , I was working at LLoyd Lumber. This customer drives in with a purchase ticket for a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. So I carry it to his car and as I attempted to throw it up on his car's roof rack , it felt like a lightning bolt hit my shoulder. So off to the orthopedic surgeon again and find out I ripped the tendons in my shoulder. He ended up drilling a hole in the bone and stitched the tendon thru it and secured it . Luckily I never had anymore problems with my shoulder. I bet I could qualify for a handicap crossbow hunter , lol.

• Like 1

You should not wait that long to see Ortho..........  Should go right away to at least get what grade dislocation it is.   Is it separated or dislocated?  If it is a minor dislocation you should be able to shoot bow when swelling goes down....   If it is a grade 3 or abover separation your totally screwed for a couple months and may even need surgery.......  i have had them both....... 

If it is a reg run in the mill dislocation with out any nerve damage you should be fine..  Once the swelling goes down you will have mobility back in no time...  Everybody heals  different though.  Pulling is gonna be a lot easier than pushing...  I dislocated my shoulder like 15 years ago a month before the season  and i turned my bow down a little and did not miss a opening day.  I separated my AC joint grade 3.5 in the first week in april this year and opted not to get surgery and it is still sore sometimes and I have a funky bump on my shoulder but I am having no problem shooting bow..  Physical therapy works so if it is recommended then do it.............

• Thanks 1

Best of luck to you, SteveB. Heal up before you push it. One of my best friends in high school dislocated his shoulder in a stupid river crossing stunt on a bicycle. Dumb and dumber would sum up that stunt nicely. He healed up and went on to be part of Seal Team Six for eight years. That's a pretty physical job and he got through it with medals. It's never over until it's over, but don't push it.

• Like 2

Dang, sorry to hear about that Steve. I had right rotator cuff and ligament repair last year on May 4th. Wasn't able to draw my bow until September. Did kill a buck, though I'm still having problems with it. Left shoulder needs the same thing done, but I'm putting it off!

Don't do anything untill you talk to the doc. Maybe you got lucky with minimal damage?  You will know more after talking to him/her. Thoughts and prayers coming to ya. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I was having issues in my right hip/back for years. I thought it was my back. Turned out I had basically 'dislocated' my sacro illiac joint. The one that butts up against the spinal column . It does not move much, not like a shoulder, but the pain at times was quite sharp and would wake me up at night. Most folk just take drugs, but I formulated a DIY home physio program to reset it and tighten up the ligaments. 1 year later I am much improved , but the joint does slip from time to time and I have pop it back in which gives instant relief. Hopefully in 4-6 months I will be fully healed.

One of of my wet-log slips may have been the trigger. I have landed hard on my azz a couple of times.

Edited by Papist

Sucks bro.  best of luck to you.  A friend of mine dislocated his in softball.  He couldn't throw again for 2-3 years.  Never go his arm strength back to the way it use to be.  Not going to throw lasers from 3B but now he can still do pretty much anything he use to do.

• Thanks 1