Suggestions for low poundage arrows please!

Arcade Hunter

Hi All

I had to turn down the poundage on my PSE Stinger yesterday.  My shooting has been far less than stellar this year.  I couldn't seem to keep my bow arm steady enough to be consistent from shot to shot, so as a last resort, I turned the bow down from 46 lbs to 43 lbs.  Now I am doing fantastic out to 35 YDS which is my comfortable shooting distance.  I lost 65 LBS over the last year and as a result, I probably lost muscle in my arms and shoulders.  This I can work on but I will not be ready before Oct 1st.

I've been shooting CE Meyhems and I would like to upgrade a little bit but not sure as to what arrows are going to give me the best thump for a low poundage bow.  I plan on using 100g G5's this year unless I get talked out of it here for some reason.  Appreciate your thoughts!

So my wife only pulls 40 lbs at 25 inch draw length and she has great results on deer. Her arrows are 500 spine Easton Ion’s that I installed 75 grain brass inserts with s 100 grain 3 blade head with feathers. Total arrow weight is 389 grains, granted she’s slow but man they hit hard. So I would say any slim diameter arrow with some weight would work well for you.. 

Edited by rob-c

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My draw length is 31" and the 100g G5 Montec has a 1 1/16 cutting radius.  I like the G5 because they are one piece and they start cutting as soon as they impact and I understand that this is desirable for a low poundage setup.

As far as the Ion arrow go, I see they are 7.3 gpi.  If the CE mayhem DS arrows are heavier, I think the 250 is 8.9  gpi,  would I need the brass inserts if I continued to use these arrows?  On the flip side, The Ions are a 6mm arrow, so, less friction at release (currently using a biscuit) and they should perform better in windy conditions.  So, I am kind of torn as to upgrading to something like an Ion or FMJ or should I just stick to what I have been using.

The Mayhem DS arrows with Cabellas brand fixed blades have killed two deer, one at 20 yds and one at 27, both broadside shots and both pass-throughs  but the bow was set at 46 LBS

25 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My draw length is 31" and the 100g G5 Montec has a 1 1/16 cutting radius.  I like the G5 because they are one piece and they start cutting as soon as they impact and I understand that this is desirable for a low poundage setup.

As far as the Ion arrow go, I see they are 7.3 gpi.  If the CE mayhem DS arrows are heavier, I think the 250 is 8.9  gpi,  would I need the brass inserts if I continued to use these arrows?  On the flip side, The Ions are a 6mm arrow, so, less friction at release (currently using a biscuit) and they should perform better in windy conditions.  So, I am kind of torn as to upgrading to something like an Ion or FMJ or should I just stick to what I have been using.

The Mayhem DS arrows with Cabellas brand fixed blades have killed two deer, one at 20 yds and one at 27, both broadside shots and both pass-throughs  but the bow was set at 46 LBS

Have you ever checked your wing span to see where you should be for draw length ? 

No expert at all here, but this is the arrow I shoot.  My bow is at 48 ish pounds, I started at 42 lbs.  I looked this arrow up once, and I swore 50 lb was max.  I shot at one deer, and it was a pass through at close range.  Like I said, not an expert at all.  The broadhead I use is Striker G5 if I remember correctly, thats all I know.

Congrats, on your weightloss!

20180920_145342.jpg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Have you ever checked your wing span to see where you should be for draw length ? 

I did just measure... I get 75 inch wing span / 2.5 = 30"

My bow is set to max draw length, which is 30.5 inches.  Add 1/2 " for the D loop too.  Ill adjust it to 30, try it, then 29.5 and try that to see what difference there is.  No bow press required to make this adjustment on the Stinger X.  Ill be trying this out within the hour, so expect a report back in the morning!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

My bow is set to max draw length, which is 30.5 inches.  Add 1/2 " for the D loop too.  Ill adjust it to 30, try it, then 29.5 and try that to see what difference there is.  No bow press required to make this adjustment on the Stinger X.  Ill be trying this out within the hour, so expect a report back in the morning!

I adjusted my buddy's by 1 inch and his shooting improved dramatically.  Slightly short is better than slightly long.  Good luck.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Ok good, just to give you a little something to go on , I am a true 32 inch draw and I have my bow cams set at 31.5 with a 3/8 loop and I find it a perfect anchor for me. Definitely better to be  a little short.. 

• Like 1

Try Dudley’s method too, I think it’s better than just wingspan/2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

32 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

No doubt wing span is just a starting point, one has to experiment a little to hit that sweet spot. 

16 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I got 30 with the wingspan method and 30.5 with the Dudley method.  I get to my shooting place after work and try to make the adjustment and low and behold, I need torx not allens, so I was unable to adjust the bow.  I'll try this at lunch today.

I am going to take it from 30.5 inches to 30 and see what happens.  I did not know that it is better shorter than longer... this could be the ticket

Thanks for all the arrow advise.  I will be making a decision shortly as to what I am going to buy.

31 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I got 30 with the wingspan method and 30.5 with the Dudley method.  I get to my shooting place after work and try to make the adjustment and low and behold, I need torx not allens, so I was unable to adjust the bow.  I'll try this at lunch today.

I am going to take it from 30.5 inches to 30 and see what happens.  I did not know that it is better shorter than longer... this could be the ticket

Thanks for all the arrow advise.  I will be making a decision shortly as to what I am going to buy.

if you have a loop take it to 29.5". I think it will fix the issue of your bow arm being unsteady

it's tough to say an particular arrow. i've had get results with multiple brands.  when you get your bow setup right i'd have an arrow with at least 7 grains per pound of finished arrow weight per draw weight. then i'd have a heavier front of center at more than 12% (often you'll see to stay within 9-15% and 15% shouldn't be the limit). also cut on contact will help but anything with a smaller cutting diameter less than 1-1/2" and not super steep blade angles will be fine.  an arrow slightly on the stiff side will transfer more energy into the animal (penetration) by not bending on impact than slightly too weak one, even if you can get both to fly well enough.

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If it feels a little short put your hunting gear on and draw it

I set it to 29.5 and took a bunch of shots.  It feels much better and I seem to be more stable at full draw.  It was windy as heck out there and I could feel the wind pushing the bow to the right so I waited to shoot between the major gusts and this is what I did...  Notice I am shooting two different arrows and aiming at the center bull.  Not going to re-sight until it is calm out.  Its a much better group than what I have been having.

21sep2018lunch.jpg

• Like 4