Downstate hunting

REDNECK4LIFE32

Looking for a good area downstate for deer in the late season. Will be using a rifle and want to fill some dmps. I wanna hunt state land and am not afraid to get back off the beaten path. Was thinking around oneonta. But any recommendations would be great. I've only hunted downstate twice once in Oneonta and once in western ny near Leroy not a lot of state land out there. Anyone need a hunting partner to stay some does.

I am assuming by downstate you mean the Catskills or Hudson valley regions.  Well, there is quite a bit of state and DEP land around the Catskill region, but the problem is that there will not be many DMP's you will be filling since not very many are given out in that area.  So, especially for someone like you who will be rifle hunting, the likelihood of filling too many tags will not be great.  Throw in antler restrictions which is the rule in the region and hopes diminish even more.  In my opinion downstate is good for bowhunting and the short ML season.  If you are strictly a rifle hunter wanting some meat, better look elsewhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

I am assuming by downstate you mean the Catskills or Hudson valley regions.  Well, there is quite a bit of state and DEP land around the Catskill region, but the problem is that there will not be many DMP's you will be filling since not very many are given out in that area.  So, especially for someone like you who will be rifle hunting, the likelihood of filling too many tags will not be great.  Throw in antler restrictions which is the rule in the region and hopes diminish even more.  In my opinion downstate is good for bowhunting and the short ML season.  If you are strictly a rifle hunter wanting some meat, better look elsewhere.

I hunt bow and muzzleloader also just always heard of northern hunters going downstate and coming home with a truck load of deer. Just looking for s Tate land and also dmps that need to get filled. Dec says there's all these deer. But reducing the permits and everything now is about quality deer management. What happened to the day of the meat hunter.jmo!

Steve863 hit the nail on the head for that area.

Redneck, not positive what you are asking. Are you looking for people who hunt public land to invite you for a hunt and sign over a DMP ? Or are you looking for someone to hunt with on public land and you will try this late to get your own DMPs ?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Steve863 hit the nail on the head for that area.

Redneck, not positive what you are asking. Are you looking for people who hunt public land to invite you for a hunt and sign over a DMP ? Or are you looking for someone to hunt with on public land and you will try this late to get your own DMPs ?

I'm just looking for someone to do some hunting on state land. Not asking for any hand me outs. Just a little advice. I m getting my own dmps not asking for anyone to sign any over. I always do my homework w he n it comes to hunting. I know I'll get 4 f amp and possibly with my preference points. I'll hunt the adirondacks hard and try my luck downstate. Not meaning to offend anyone but if there's someone who doesn't mind a military vet tagging along then it is what it is.

• Like 2

I have a few areas near me, no problem at all having some one hunting with me. Shoot me a pm with your number if this might interest you. I won't be back from my vacation until Saturday night though. No hunting talk with the wife on this trip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reb said:

You can easily get dmp's in 9f,I have no idea what public land is available though.

I do not think there is any public land in 9F.. correct me if I am wrong.. 8G  is nearby and has some opportunities.  I'll be hunting 8G after work some days this year as I can get there quickly from work

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I do not think there is any public land in 9F.. correct me if I am wrong.. 8G  is nearby and has some opportunities.  I'll be hunting 8G after work some days this year as I can get there quickly from work

I haven't looked but your probably right,that's likely the reason they have so many extra dmp's there every year.