Waiting for sunrise

philoshop

I'm planning on heading to the woods in an hour or so. Daybreak. I call it squirrel hunting, but I'm not taking a gun or even a camera on this trip. I'll just sit there for an hour or so and decompress. It looks to be a pretty morning and I enjoy just sitting there..

Work (political writing) has been absolutely nuts lately, with the left  going so far off the scale that it causes me massive headaches every single day. I need to watch some happy squirrels for a little while. I have a can of Planter's salted peanuts to munch on. I'll match the squirrels chomp for chomp for a little while. Just to make them envious. I should have bought some in the shell. :taunt:

• Like 21

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Have called the woods my happy place a long time. No better place to sit , unwind , contemplating life and simply soak in what god gave you that day 

2X. Though I do like to admire a nice piece of blued steel and walnut resting across my thighs.

• Like 1

I think I was about eight years old when I discovered the peace and serenity of the woods. Most all of my biggest, and most difficult life decisions were made there. The forests and fields have always been my happy place. I'm not sure what kind of man I would be now, had I not discovered  the ground that keeps me grounded. Some day my spirit will run freely there.

philoshop, I know you will find what you seek, in the solitude of the forest. Enjoy sir.

• Like 4

I hate the every day rat race! I can't wait to go sit in the woods! There's nothing like it! And more so in the fall! Colors changing! Animals getting ready for the winter! The sound of the creek in the background. Bow hanging on the hook! I don't even care if I don't pick it up! Just to watch and listen! Breath in the cool mountain air! U guys got me! I'm going to just take an hr Sunday morning! And relax! 

• Like 1

I always marvel at all the different places and directions that my mind goes when I am sitting alone in the woods. I don't think I ever do such intense but relaxed thinking at any other time. It's just amazing how the mind reaches a state of clarity when all the noise and confusion are stripped away.

• Like 1

Crappy cloudy, windy, drizzling kind of day here in the Catskills.  At least it's warm.  Sunday looks to be good though.  Still haven't seen a bear and not too many squirrels either.  So far only one taken each morning I went out.  Oh well, it's good exercise and good for the soul.

• Like 1

That was a much-needed morning with nature. Just sitting out there for a while cleared  a lot of the cobwebs from my head. The only thing better than that is a slow trip in a kayak or canoe down a calm river.

If anyone is interested in helping me get my old Coleman canoe out of the rafters of my brother's barn this weekend or next, shoot me a PM. I can't do it alone any more and wouldn't really want to paddle alone anyway. Warning: If you're grumpy, grouchy, irritable, or just plain mean I might charge you for the sight-seeing trip. :rofl: And probably make you pay for lunch as well. :rolleyes: I'm generally a good guy, but I can be just as grumpy and grouchy as my guests when it comes to sharing a canoe.

I'm serious about the invitation for a short canoe trip (half day event or so) if anyone is interested. I haven't been out to the Clyde River/Galen Marsh area in years but I grew up paddling around there before I was even old enough for a driver's license. It's a pretty spot. Bring the fishing rod, just because...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jdubs said:

I love sunrises from a mountain.  Time in the woods to decompress sounds perfect.  I don't envy you for being on the front lines of political discourse in these times.  

It was my choice. No one is making me do and I can walk away at any time, it but I think it's important to keep people informed. We no longer have a serious media to do that.

10 minutes ago, grampy said:

If you were a bit closer, I'd take you up on that offer! And I'm not usually a grumpy grampy..........grin.

For you, I'd even sweep part of my 800 SF of shack space out and let you use my air mattress for an overnight. I'm not kidding. I know lots of backwoods places around this area. Even a long  weekend wouldn't do it justice. I can't hike any more, but paddling short distances is still in my repertoire as long as there is no portage required. Show up in a month or so with your license, shotgun,  and duck stamp. It's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

• Like 1

Awesome thread...nice reminder about what we SHOULD be doing instead of what we are constantly doing.

By the way, you know The eerily quiet moment was when a Squatch was trying to grab your nuts(uh peanuts), right?

Thanks for the reminder and motivation to make the drive to the woods to just be in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Awesome thread...nice reminder about what we SHOULD be doing instead of what we are constantly doing.

By the way, you know The eerily quiet moment was when a Squatch was trying to grab your nuts(uh peanuts), right?

Thanks for the reminder and motivation to make the drive to the woods to just be in the woods.

I don't know what to say. Quiet time in the woods is the only thing that keeps me sane. Being able to share it with a friend often makes it better, but sometimes just being alone is best. I'm very fortunate to have an acre of woods just out my back door. It's not  the "big woods" Adirondacks, obviously, it's just an acre of solitude. I can still hear the vehicles on Rte 14 in front of my place. And I don't take any electronic devices with me.

It's absolutely amazing how a couple of hours in the woods can reset your entire outlook on life. Watching the squirrels and the birds, the woodpeckers intentionally beating their own brains into mush. The deer that wander through the area munching on foliage and then going over to the dry drainage ditch looking for a drink. Thank God for that.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

For some reason I flashed on that white beastie from one of those kid's Christmas stories. What the heck was that thing supposed to be, anyway? Yeti? Sasquatch? Capiberra from Bizzarro's place? I dunno.

Just as I read your post my refrigerator kicked on and I nearly gave myself whiplash spinning around  with my gun drawn. Be careful my friend, and be nice to the older folks here. He he he!