Logging Time

Zag

Hmm I’d think you’d have some bear action around. How about coyotes this year?  We have (you know where I hunt) a pile of them around.......

I even saw one at 3:00pm loping through a hay field Sunday. That’s not common. 

Edited by Lawdwaz

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Hmm I’d think you’d have some bear action around. How about coyotes this year?  We have (you know where I hunt) a pile of them around.......

OMG those bastards are all over, just about every cam pull has one on it. Bob's gotta increase his trapping ten fold! I remember you mentioning a den just below us but I've got nothing and I don't think that neighbor has either.

• 1 month later...

Snapped these two pics today in the future food plot clearing. I'm really looking forward to seeing this at completion, I think it's gonna turn out great. I'm leaving a bunch of hemlock trees and I think there is a white oak I'm leaving too. Once it's planted and green I think it's going to look really nature and hopefully help with keeping deer close by.

Logger still has more to remove and I'm not sure when he will get back in with how wet it is. 

KIMG0357.JPG

KIMG0358.JPG

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Well they started clearing out the area for the food plot today, he said it should be done in the next couple days. Looks like I might be planting this weekend, thankfully we have no tournaments either.

I need a good seed option to get it established while building up the ph and carrying an attractive food source thru the winter. Any thoughts? I haven't dug into the best options but I was thinking off the top of my head, maybe oats, winter wheat and rye. Thoughts?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

I think your on the right track with those choices. Looks great, do you have any idea of how the soil is? How large of an area?

Ph was 5.3 and id guess it's about an acre in size.

Ph will be low, cereal grain is good start, buckwheat in spring is good soil builder and is fast growing can plow down before next fall  free green manure ..add your lime and come fall can do a more attractive fall season plot. Clover / turnip.  For example..  look around your area see what farmers have and offer something different 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Ph will be low, cereal grain is good start, buckwheat in spring is good soil builder and is fast growing can plow down before next fall  free green manure ..add your lime and come fall can do a more attractive fall season plot. Clover / turnip.  For example..  look around your area see what farmers have and offer something different 

Thanks gman, not a farm around for miles, were up in the hills and all that's around are woods.

Id like to plant right way so I can get a jump on any weeds trying to establish them selves and times kinda important as we have two more out of town weekend baseball tournaments coming up then we're right into football season and im coaching so I won't have a ton of time.

Another important thing I need something that will continue to grow while being browsed, as it's a smaller plot and will be under constant stress I believe. We had a small plot yrs ago and planted buckwheat and they wiped it out in no time. 

3 minutes ago, zag said:

Thanks gman, not a farm around for miles, were up in the hills and all that's around are woods.

Id like to plant right way so I can get a jump on any weeds trying to establish them selves and times kinda important as we have two more out of town weekend baseball tournaments coming up then we're right into football season and im coaching so I won't have a ton of time.

Another important thing I need something that will continue to grow while being browsed, as it's a smaller plot and will be under constant stress I believe. We had a small plot yrs ago and planted buckwheat and they wiped it out in no time. 

If you plant buckwheat and a red clover (can even plant red clover this fall with grain) and add more clover  in  early spring via frost seeding . Clover is about only planting that can stand up to heavy pressure. I'd still plow down clover in mid summer and add more lime and plant for a kill plot of turnip. And again reseed clover to build up soil

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You will be fighting regrowth of woody stems from roots.. that will be your biggest issue I believe. 

Yeah, there is a bunch of beech now removed and hopefully it doesn't come back.

12 minutes ago, zag said:

Yeah, there is a bunch of beech now removed and hopefully it doesn't come back.

Beech is tough you may want to purchase crossbow herbicide for next spring and spray plot before doing more work on it.  But by all means lime and get it planted for fall.. but your beech will resprout , crossbow will kill it permanently,, working the ground will be hard on any equipment until roots break down, if they try and strip them off with dozer you lose a lot of organic matter  and topsoil.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zag said:

Ahh but as you know I hunt the land adjacent to yours and I would like to feed your bucks some lead.  :)

15 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Ahh but as you know I hunt the land adjacent to yours and I would like to feed your bucks some lead.  :)

Haha ok will have to check the stomach if you get one of them, if it has food plot food it, it's gonna cost ya. All honesty i don't get all up in arms about that stuff. Id be happy as heck for ya

17 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I wish to crap I could just get SOMEbody to come log my property.  2500 trees marked and nobody is biting.  Not that the territory is rough or anything.

Our logger told me prices are down on red oak and Ash now

If it were me id plant a cereal rye and red clover in late august. Cereal rye grows anywhere, literally! its is high in carbon and will help build organic matter, unless you bottom plow it over.  The following spring plant a buckwheat, oat, spring peas and crimson clover blend if you want to keep building soil. If not, overseed a perennial blend of white clovers into during March. 

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

Glad I got rid of my ash 6 years ago..everyone local thought i was crazy..now whole patches around the area dead from borer..

Yeah he said the quality of the Ash was less and the wood was turning grey from the borer

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, TACC said:

The logging company clearing out our wood , advised by a forester, is starting this week, it finally dried out enough .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What is your main species of tree? Is it mill timber or firewood?