Logging Time

Zag

Looks good, I would of kidney beaned the shape of it but you should have limited access for deer entering the plot from down wind giving you at least 2 good stand locations.from that pile of stumps ,although the "buck trails may be back in the edge of the timber depending how thick it is just scent checking and looking out into field from relative safety. You may want to feather the down wind edge if timber to block their view leaving clear access in appropriate places for stands locations...

• Like 2

Ok I got seed tonight, plan a seed wasn't in stock and the other seed doesn't come in till Monday, so plan b is winter wheat, oats, rye, clovers, brassicas and Monday I might get some WI oats (I've always wanted to try them). Getting up early to head up to lay my eyes on it for the first time and get spreading lime, fert and seed. 

We had him dig out in a small vernal pond just up wind of the plot so will have to seed around that, while he did that he used the left over dirt to build up a 4wheeler path that ran thru a wet area.

I'm so excited I might not get much sleep!

8753.jpeg

Edited by zag
  • Like 7

I was right, didn't sleep for crap, finally at 6am I got moving. Well we worked hard today, first we spread the lime using our Foresters spreader, it was a huge time saver. Then we spread the fertilizer over top and used the compact tractor and york take to work it into the soil and level out some spots while picking up left over roots from the dozer work.

After that we went around and picked up some rocks and then called it a day. Heading back up in the morning to clear anything else and spread the seed and wait for rain.

Here are some pictures from each end, I had him leave some hemlocks, a white pine and a couple other stragglers, gives it some character I think.

KIMG1312.JPG

KIMG1320.JPG

Edited by zag
  • Like 4

Finished the plot today. son tagged along, got the rest of any rocks and roots out and spread all the seed, tomorrow I have to pic up one seed type that they didn't have till Monday. I need a few more bags of lime to top it off. 

Once we finish we took a 4wheeler back to the pond on the other side of the property and took a swim. On the way back I went around to see how well hidden the plot is from the other side, as I came up 2 doe were crossing the plot.

KIMG1328.JPG

Edited by zag
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Looks great!!

Thanks Larry, it's been a bucket list item for me, I've dreamed of having a good size on up there for yrs. I'm fantasizing about next spring seeing Tom's strutting hard in that plot! And hopefully it's a deer magnet too!!

• Like 2

On 7/28/2019 at 3:43 PM, zag said:

Finished the plot today. son tagged along, got the rest of any rocks and roots out and spread all the seed, tomorrow I have to pic up one seed type that they didn't have till Monday. I need a few more bags of lime to top it off. 

Once we finish we took a 4wheeler back to the pond on the other side of the property and took a swim. On the way back I went around to see how well hidden the plot is from the other side, as I came up 2 doe were crossing the plot.

KIMG1328.JPG

I'm going to be doing something similar in couple years, right in the middle of the woods on the North end of the property.

Good choice in wheeler too!  550 or 700?

9 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I'm going to be doing something similar in couple years, right in the middle of the woods on the North end of the property.

Good choice in wheeler too!  550 or 700?

That one's the 550, we have the 700 as well both have been great machines. Hope your able to get it done!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got my first look at the plots since spreading seed a couple weeks ago, it didn't rain for a week and a half after seeding (damn rain went all around us two days later), coming in fairly well, I'm gonna have to reseed some areas that are light. Seeded some trails now that they are done working. 

KIMG1424.JPG

KIMG1429.JPG

• Like 5

Get in touch with a forester in your area, he will be able to guide you.

Been wanting to have my land logged for a few years now (20 plus acres) but completely oblivious as to where to start ! Any suggestions ?  PM is you want !

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Been wanting to have my land logged for a few years now (20 plus acres) but completely oblivious as to where to start ! Any suggestions ?  PM is you want !

I would start with a Dec Forester first. My understanding is they can mark your timber to make sure a logger doesn't take all the good and leave the bad.

• Like 1

Took a quick drive up tonight to see how it looks after another week of growth plus see if any seed germinated from re seeding last weekend. It's getting better, next yr I'm definitely seeding way more than they say you need.

KIMG1437.JPG

5065.jpeg

• Like 2

What did you plant and if it was a grain the birds will pick it up unless its drilled, broadcast rates are usually higher than drilled just for that reason, crows here pick a lot of corn that's just emerging as do geese. Winter grains get.hit by all manner of birds including Turkey if not drilled