Interesting start to morning

turkeyfeathers

At 5 this morning I heard our golden retriever racing around the dining room. First I thought she maybe having a seizure by the ruckus’s   Then I hear a scamper and she’s whining and digging under the corner cabinet. Grab the surefire flashlight. I then see a big beady eye and recognize the problem as a flying squirrel. Ok , now what . Tops for a rat trap , no net   Can’t have this thing getting out of my sight as he’s now clinging to the back of cabinet. Quick grab the cross man pump pellet pistol . Dog keeping the varmint in check as I pumped it up and stuff a pointed pellet in  Wife is my spotter with flashlight. Hated to whack such a neat creature but options are slim . Perfect shot right behind the ear. Good team work by wife and Maizy. They are unprotected so no laws broken . Inspected him and neat folds of skin to when he soars flatten out for aerodynamics. Kid slept through the whole ordeal. What a start to the morning  Dog still looking for it. And how did this flier get in the house ?! 

FB6A92F5-3BC4-4210-B9B6-12CCB98FBEF4.png

D1E05860-475A-4F1F-8E3E-207F4459D16A.jpeg

8F4FA9B3-4255-4D8E-BCBA-43C001E917C8.jpeg

• Like 10

Had a bat in my house once.  Swatted it down with a towel and put it outside on the deck.  It flew away when it came to again.  Afterwards I was told if a bat is in your house, it might be rabid.  Nobody got bit by it so I wasn't worried.  Just wondering if the same holds true for a flying squirrel.

O

30 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

At 5 this morning I heard our golden retriever racing around the dining room. First I thought she maybe having a seizure by the ruckus’s   Then I hear a scamper and she’s whining and digging under the corner cabinet. Grab the surefire flashlight. I then see a big beady eye and recognize the problem as a flying squirrel. Ok , now what . Tops for a rat trap , no net   Can’t have this thing getting out of my sight as he’s now clinging to the back of cabinet. Quick grab the cross man pump pellet pistol . Dog keeping the varmint in check as I pumped it up and stuff a pointed pellet in  Wife is my spotter with flashlight. Hated to whack such a neat creature but options are slim . Perfect shot right behind the ear. Good team work by wife and Maizy. They are unprotected so no laws broken . Inspected him and neat folds of skin to when he soars flatten out for aerodynamics. Kid slept through the whole ordeal. What a start to the morning  Dog still looking for it. And how did this flier get in the house ?! 

FB6A92F5-3BC4-4210-B9B6-12CCB98FBEF4.png

D1E05860-475A-4F1F-8E3E-207F4459D16A.jpeg

8F4FA9B3-4255-4D8E-BCBA-43C001E917C8.jpeg

Well that’s just neat, and your last photo of Maizy makes me miss our retriever Gus.. 

Back in my former life, my ex wife always insisted  on having a doggie door so our dogs and cats could run in and out of the basement at will....Of course the cats loved to bring live critters  into the house and then liberate them...Kinda like they were STOCKING the house with mice, chipmunks, etc.

One  night I heard a high pitched squealing in the bedroom..I turned on the light and got up to investigate, buck ass naked, of course..

There was a WEASEL running around in the bedroom... After putting on some britches, I cornered the varmint in the master bedroom...Wife held  a big paper grocery bag, and I put on heavy leather gloves and grabbed the weasel and dropped it in the sack...Took him for a ride a few miles away and dropped him off  in a wooded area, no worse for the wear..

4 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Back in my former life, my ex wife always insisted  on having a doggie door so our dogs and cats could run in and out of the basement at will....Of course the cats loved to bring live critters  into the house and then liberate them...Kinda like they were STOCKING the house with mice, chipmunks, etc.

One  night I heard a high pitched squealing in the bedroom..I turned on the light and got up to investigate, buck ass naked, of course..

There was a WEASEL running around in the bedroom... After putting on some britches, I cornered the varmint in the master bedroom...Wife held  a big paper grocery bag, and I put on heavy leather gloves and grabbed the weasel and dropped it in the sack...Took him for a ride a few miles away and dropped him off  in a wooded area, no worse for the wear..

That's one tough, mean little critter!  Weasels are pretty fierce too!

Sounds like some fun times this morning Jay.........glad it ended with not much carnage!

Back in the spring, we were doing a job at a local church.  An entry door was stopped open and a chipmunk got in at some point.  I was going through checking on the guys and spotted the little bastid running down a HUGE hallway.........I took off chasing him, hoping he wouldn't get into the sanctuary where they had choir practice going on.  I grabbed out painter and recruited him to join in on the fun.  We messed around for 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do as we weren't going to out run or out maneuver him!!  I went to Gui's Lumber and got some rat traps after we finally cornered him in an office.  We pulled the office door shut but by the time I got back somebody opened the door and flushed him out.  I just shrugged my shoulders and said NOW WTH am I going to do??  Then the maintenance man showed up in the building, I told him what was going on and he said "ahh heck, don't worry about it.  It happens all the time". 

If they don't make it out alive, it'll stink for a bit after they croak. I've had plenty of experience sniffing out dead critter in a previous life.........although I consider myself good at it, I'm out of that business.

Buddy is a nuisance trapper and said that's the number 1 nuisance. Usually getting in house through facets and can climb through a half inch hole.

I've only seen one before and that was to remove it from my moms friends grill of her car when I was a kid. Nocturnal so you'll probably never see one.

Just now, turkeyfeathers said:

Nocturnal so you'll probably never see one.

My buddy Dave climbed a tree with his climbing stand one time and got set up.  It was just breaking dawn and all of a sudden something lands on his shoulder! He took a swing at it not knowing WHAT IN THE *UCK it was.  He connected and the thing fell to the ground. Yup, a flying squirrel.  He'd (nor I) had ever seen one before or after that event.  Weird little buggers....

• Like 1