Ontario Deer Hunt

eaglemountainman

I'm considering a deer hunt in Ontario for 2019 . I've heard that Ontario is the sleeper province, and that rates are a bit more reasonable than Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Does anyone have first hand experience that can recommend a good outfitter? Probably going with one buddy but would welcome others who might be interested.

I never heard of deer hunting in Ontario but the guys I hunt with go to alberta  but 5 grand plus is a little rich for my blood and of course you see the celebrity hunters  to the other provinces . I was in the Harrisburg show in feb and there was this guy from Ontario michel funny as hell he said[in a French accent] you want a big bear you come see michel ,well going for bear that's on my bucket list. Back in the day [70's & 80's] nova scotia and Anticosti is. was deer hunters dream hunts but I never heard anything about Illinois or Ohio then ,Iowa yes and Wisconsin [cause my bro-in-law lives there in the southwest corner on the border of iowa/ill. and minn.]. so research ,research you never know like you said a sleeper province

Good luck on your hunt. When you get back, post your impressions of the operation and the hunt. I hunted Quebec a couple of times in the 80's and didn't care for their attitude towards Americans. I'm hoping I won't have the same experience if I book in Ontario. Again, good luck. Be safe.

I fished a couple of times in Quebec during the early 80's and learned that many of Quebec natives were unfriendly to both Americans and non French speaking Canadiens. I few folks I met from Ontario didn't have much of anything good to say about them....I haven't returned in years and things could be different now.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 10:13 AM, eaglemountainman said:

I'm considering a deer hunt in Ontario for 2019 . I've heard that Ontario is the sleeper province, and that rates are a bit more reasonable than Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Does anyone have first hand experience that can recommend a good outfitter? Probably going with one buddy but would welcome others who might be interested.

Just wondering with many good outfitters in the usa for deer why go to Canada ?

Is it cheeper ?

The deer in Canada, as a whole, are are much bigger because they live in the northernmost part of their range. They've evolved huge body mass to withstand the winters up there. Plus, outfitters up there have massive ranges to hunt so there's little hunting pressure. The deer get to live longer and grow antlers to match their body size.

The prices I've been seeing in Ontario are running around $2,400 for 5-6 days American plan as opposed to twice that in Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan.

Plus, if  hunt up there the first or second week in November, I can be back in time for NY Southern zone opening day.

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 1

In 1967 Charles de Gaulle stood on the balcony of the Montreal city hall during Canada's centennial celebration and delivered a speech to the crowd that finished with the line, "Vive le Québec libre!" ("Long live free Quebec!"). Thus began the modern Quebec independence movement. The 80s were a tough time in Canada with the Quebec secession question gaining political momentum. It culminated in a referendum in 1995 where the Non (stay in Canada) vote won by less than a percentage point.

Things are generally better now.

Like anywhere, Quebecois are fiercely proud of their language and culture, and generally decent people. If you find yourself in Quebec make a small effort by saying bonjour, merci beaucoup, au revoir. It goes a long way.

The exotic dancers in Quebec were out of this world. Or so I remember reading.

Back on topic, the only thing I can add about hunting in northern Ontario is to bring serious bug spray. Even in the fall, the black flies, deer flies and mosquitos can be very bad.

Edited by left field
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Muskyhunter1 said:

If I were you and want to get into big deer in Ontario they seem to hail from the North West in areas like around Dryden and Lake of the woods.  A couple of my brother in-laws used to go that way and yes they got really nice big bucks. 

Good luck,

Yes, I'm aware of those areas, and that's where I was doing my research last year. However, a few honest outfitters were kind enough to inform me that the numbers were way down due to some recent severe winter mortality the last few years. I'll still get there, but that destination is on the back burner for a few years till I see if the numbers come back up.

In the mean time, I hunted pronghorns in Wyoming this year and will be going back for a muley hunt in 2020. Elk or moose in 2021 and then I'll reassess the Ontario situation.

Good luck to all on their own adventures.

• Like 2

Eagle,

You are correct we had a couple really bad winters and our herd took a licking.  They are calling for a mild winter this year but that usually means lots of snow which is really hard on the deer.  Time will tell.   

I have been to Wyoming a couple of years and love the Douglas area.  Last time I went I took the wife.  She shopped all day hitting quilting shops while I went hunting.  She is pushing me to go back.  I guess I had better do what I am told.  Happy wife happy life.

Where going for moose?  Wyoming as well?

Greendrake,

Like New York they are out there but in my neck of the woods it usually involves private land.  We live on the edge of the Northern area for deer.

2 hours ago, Muskyhunter1 said:

Eagle,

You are correct we had a couple really bad winters and our herd took a licking.  They are calling for a mild winter this year but that usually means lots of snow which is really hard on the deer.  Time will tell.   

I have been to Wyoming a couple of years and love the Douglas area.  Last time I went I took the wife.  She shopped all day hitting quilting shops while I went hunting.  She is pushing me to go back.  I guess I had better do what I am told.  Happy wife happy life.

Where going for moose?  Wyoming as well?

Greendrake,

Like New York they are out there but in my neck of the woods it usually involves private land.  We live on the edge of the Northern area for deer.

MH1

Only thing better than a wife that doesn't mind you going hunting, is one that actually pushes you to go.

I hunted this year out of Newcastle, WY. Saw lots of game. Pronghorn, whitetails and muleys. Best accommodations of any hunt I've ever been on.

Probably looking at New Brunswick for the moose hunt. Western moose hunts are a bit out of my pay grade. Argentina or Irish red stag keeps creeping into my brain also.

"Argentina or Irish red stag keeps creeping into my brain also."

Now your talking!!

I have never hunted Canada but fished, consumed large amounts of Canadian Beer and may have seen a ballet or two up that way. I have always had Anticosta on my list.

Interesting enough I saw your FL location Crystal River. I will be fishing out of there on a day trip with my son first week of January.

Fletch

A buddy of mine hunted Anticosti back in the early '70's, when it was still very exclusive. Very pretty deer with nice racks, but no giants.

Great fishing out of Crystal River. That's where I splash my boat. I guess you'll be targeting reds and trout. Good luck! Hope the winds stay down for you.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about Anticosti Island too.  I heard you are allowed 2 deer and you hunt them on the beach.  The more seaweed that washes in from the waves the better the hunt.  So I have heard.

Moose hunt in New Brunswick sounds like fun.  Nothing more awesome if you hunt the rut and call one in.  It seems a lot of areas now move the season back so you cant hunt the rut.  I got a buddy who hunted Newfoundland last year and they kicked butt. 

1 hour ago, Muskyhunter1 said:

I have been thinking about Anticosti Island too.  I heard you are allowed 2 deer and you hunt them on the beach.  The more seaweed that washes in from the waves the better the hunt.  So I have heard.

Moose hunt in New Brunswick sounds like fun.  Nothing more awesome if you hunt the rut and call one in.  It seems a lot of areas now move the season back so you cant hunt the rut.  I got a buddy who hunted Newfoundland last year and they kicked butt. 

I've read the same things about Anticosti and the beaches, though they do also hunt them in the timber traditionally.

I while back, I read an interesting article about how the deer there have developed an audible means of communication where they kick their hooves on the buttress roots of hemlock trees. The guides there now call them by tapping rocks against the roots. Crazy, right!?

I'm doing some research on Newfoundland outfitters, and would be very interested in which one your buddy used, if you know.

New Brunswick moose is strictly draw, and be prepared to be a number of years...but can be very affordable (I have an outfitter for bear I have a long relationship with who does moose too).

Newfoundland is awesome...I have been twice, the last time last year. Very high (high nineties) success rate, and the Newfies are wonderful. Long drive though...figure three days from central NY. We went with Patey and Sons, and would happily go again, but time for something else now. Patey is a full week hunting one on one guide, fly in. Awesome, and you likely could have a chance a some great bears too. I passed on a monster last year. I already have 5, and would have been shot myself if  brought this one home....It was well in excess of 400 lbs., likely 5-6!

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

New Brunswick moose is strictly draw, and be prepared to be a number of years...but can be very affordable (I have an outfitter for bear I have a long relationship with who does moose too).

Newfoundland is awesome...I have been twice, the last time last year. Very high (high nineties) success rate, and the Newfies are wonderful. Long drive though...figure three days from central NY. We went with Patey and Sons, and would happily go again, but time for something else now. Patey is a full week hunting one on one guide, fly in. Awesome, and you likely could have a chance a some great bears too. I passed on a monster last year. I already have 5, and would have been shot myself if  brought this one home....It was well in excess of 400 lbs., likely 5-6!

Sounds good. I'll check out Patey and Sons.

In my earlier post, I typed New Brunswick, but I meant Newfoundland. Sorry for any confusion.