Who's NOT Ready

Team Hoyt

i have not put my cams out so far. Put some batteries in them two days ago. 

I seem to have a hard time meeting up with the bucks on my cams in the daytime though. 

I have been practicing my shooting and am feeling pretty confident there,so i will just let the season come to me. 

I still need to put a good backpack frame on my summit climber , otherwise the thing is miserable to carry..

• Like 1

Close....but not as close as i would like to be.
Moved my Dad's stand around at one property and need to cut up a fallen tree for a better shooting lane.

Would love to pull some cams tomorrow but other items on the to do list need to be tackeled first.

Also have two pallet blinds partially assembled.... Those may not see the woods this season.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Not even close... 

X2, sons doing football and baseball, today was football practice, baseball tryouts for next years team and a baseball game, tomorrows football game and baseball tryouts again, that's my weekend life thru Oct. I haven't even dusted off the bow. I did get my stands checked out last weekend.

I am not as ready as I usually am by this time, due to a big demolition/construction project that I took on this year. Because of that, I am very thankful that I gave up bow-hunting in 2014, when the crossbow got legal.   My first deer hunt won't be until October 12, up north with my crossbow.   Hopefully, the weather will be good tomorrow and I can verify the zero on my (6) deer guns.  Usually, I finish that by Labor day.  I don't like to shoot guns, when archery season is open, because I know that it aggravates me when I hear my neighbors doing it while I am archery hunting.  

I did get my crossbow dialed in last weekend. I will only hunt with that one day in October, followed by two days with my ML, so that is the next most important one to check.   To save time, I will place all (6) deer guns (ML, (2) rifles, (3) shotguns) in soft cases or wrap in blankets, load them and ammo in the back of my pickup, drive back to the range, and get them all done at once.  Hopefully, two or three shots each, is all it will take.  

The ML and rifles are tame puppies to shoot, but I use a clip on recoil-pad while target-shooting with the hard-kicking shotguns.  99% of my "practice" shooting happens on the back deck with a bb-gun.  That eliminates all the noise and shoulder pounding.  I also cut back a bit on that this year, with only about 2000 shots taken, compared to the 4000-5000 that I had been doing.  I hope that don't cost me any meat.    

The food-plots at home are in decent shape and most of the stands are ready here, but I still want to get a pop-up blind out.  Right now, I am not exactly sure where that is.  I am hoping that I left it up at the Northern zone camp, and I will be able to bring it home after my crossbow/ML trip up there in a couple weeks.   I would really like to get it in position at least a week prior to hunting from it.   

I still need to get posted signs up, repair a big double-decker blind, and move a couple stands out at my folks place.  I did not have time for any foodplot work over there this year, but a neighbor did mow the 2 acre clover plot a couple weeks ago.  I managed to kill a nice buck out of the big blind over there last fall, but the floor is so crooked that I will not hunt out of it again without at least trying to level it first.  The stand moves are optional, but I think I can improve my odds a bit if I make them.              

7 hours ago, zag said:

X2, sons doing football and baseball, today was football practice, baseball tryouts for next years team and a baseball game, tomorrows football game and baseball tryouts again, that's my weekend life thru Oct. I haven't even dusted off the bow. I did get my stands checked out last weekend.

I feel your pain bud, my 14 yr. Old Had tryouts for HS yesterday morning at 8am and today has a double header at 8:30 am, my 10 yr. Old has soccer at 9am and my daughter softball at 1pm today. To say the least my weekends are well spoken for.  Every few chances i get to go to camp its a scramble to get a million things done, but i wouldnt have it any other way. Amazing what can be accomplished over a weekend if you have the determination and machinery. Keeps me very busy and very active.

• Like 1

What baseball program? Just curious if my boys(13 now) played against them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Once your Xbow is sighted in... you won’t need much practice.  

True.  From my trials and errors with a Barnett Jackal last year, I have a much better understanding of bolts, broadheads and arrow retainer springs.  

The good news is i found my pants after the windstorm ,just gotta wash them and then zap everything with ozone and pack away. 
That windstorm was so strong that it blew my hunting pants off the line ,folded them,and left them on my basement floor next to where everything else was before it got washed.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Thought I was. Was going to shoot some broadheads finally last night. D loop is loose and twists thus making peep off. Still gotta wash my clothes and I'll be ready to have this archery thing a go   And buy a quiver

i have an extra hip quiver around someplace ....

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Thought I was. Was going to shoot some broadheads finally last night. D loop is loose and twists thus making peep off. Still gotta wash my clothes and I'll be ready to have this archery thing a go   And buy a quiver

That is  very important step.  One brand of 125 grain fixed broadheads (Allens), that I tried last weekend hit over a foot low, at both 20 and 40 yards, while 125 grain  Muzzy's and Wasps struck right on or very close to the same point as my 125 gr field tips.  That was with my 300 fps crossbow, but I imagine that a vertical bow of similar speed would be comparable.