Who's NOT Ready

Team Hoyt

I am much closer, now that I finished checking the zero on (5) of my deer guns.  I decided to skip #6, since I rarely use it any more, and it has never failed to kill a deer that I fired it at.  I had the other (5) "close enough" with a total of (11) shots fired.   Oddly enough, the only two weapons that needed adjustment this year, for "good enough to hunt with performance" were the two that I killed deer with last season (crossbow and bolt-action shotgun).   The crossbow needed half a turn up on the red-dot site, and the shotgun needed 12 clicks to the right on the 3X scope. 

My first shot with that shotgun was 6" to the left at 100 yards.   I moved in to 50 yards, checked that all the attachment hardware was tight, did a quick bore site that looked ok, then hit 2-3/4" left and 2" high with my second shot.   According to the label on the adjustment, it should have taken about 24 clicks to the right, but that put it the same distance off to the right and 3/4" high.  One more adjustment, 12 clicks to the left, put the 4th shot 1" high, centered above the bull.   Taking the two adjustments into consideration, indicates a 3 shot group of 1-1/4" diameter at 50 yards, centered about 1-1/4" above the bull.  That was good enough for me.  Not wanting to waste any more of that pricey ammo (Hornady 2-3/4" SST 12 ga) I decided to skip trying it again at 100 yards. 

The first shot with my T/C 50 cal ML, with 2-7X scope set at 7, hit 1-3/8" directly above the bull at 50 yards.  That was also good enough for me, so I put it back in the case, with just one shot fired.  That shot was with a clean and lubed barrel.  After I do that again,  it will be ready to go up north for deer on October 13.    With 150 grain bullets, my open-sited Marlin 336 BL 30/30, put two shots 1-1/4" apart, with the "group" centered 4-1/2" above the bull and 2" to the right at 50 yards.  There is no more lower elevation adjustment on the rear site, so I let it go where it was.  I will switch that one to 170 grain ammo after I use up the two boxes of 150's that the dealer gave me with the gun.  I would like it to be about 2" high at 50 yards and the 170's should get me closer to that.   My old Ithaca 37 16 gauge placed two 4/5 oz Rem sluggers touching each other at 50 yards, with the "group" centered 2-3/4 above and 1-3/4 to the left at 50 yards.  Back out at 100 yards, My Ruger 30/06 with 3-9X scope at 9, placed (2) 150 gr Federal classics 3/4" inch apart with the "group" centered 1/2" above and 3/4" to the right of the bull.   

If the weather is good next weekend, I will do a little squirrel hunting over at my folks place, and take care of the posted signs and stand work / moves.  After that I will be good to go.   

With a few last minute audibles and pulled a rabbit out of my hat. Got to one lease and trimmed some shooting Lane's and cut up a downed tree around my dad's new stand placement.
Also put out a blind for crappy weather days and for my dad when he brings out the crossbow.
Then moved to another property and cleaned up the main trail of downed trees, checked all stands and cleared Lane's and hung a few cams.
Overall great day and accomplished a ton that I wasn't expecting to get done today.e830f10afcd16662aa15c2c3351792ee.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just moved to ny (fort drum) late this summer and with getting ready for a deployment i have only about 4 days of scouting in so far. I have not even found a single spot i have confidence in yet. Might just  be a lot of sitting ground level in a ghost blind and seeing where they come out and moving the next day.

Close?  I don't think it's even going to happen.  Might have to sit out the 2nd year in a row.  Bow and rifle hasn't even left the case/safe in almost 2 years.  First son was easy.  Throw him in a playpen and he was good.  This second one needs you attention every single second or he's screaming murder.  Draining the very life out of the wife and I.

IMG_1460.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I am not ready . Spent over 2 weeks in the hospital recently . Doubt if I could draw my bow . I would like to put on camo and at least sit in the woods opening day ( if my legs are steady enough ) .

Hope you’re healing up.  If you get out there and fate gives you deer, keep in mind you can reach out on here for help  tracking/dragging.  (I’m assuming you’re in the Roch area as you mentioned Highland Hospital in a different post.)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, crappyice said:

How about this dumbass move...I’m sending my wife to Ireland with her girlfriend from 10/31-11/8!!!!!

That is about the most brilliant thing I have heard in quite some time unless of course there are kids or other responsibilities that you have to pick up the slack for. If that is the case...shame on you.

Close?  I don't think it's even going to happen.  Might have to sit out the 2nd year in a row.  Bow and rifle hasn't even left the case/safe in almost 2 years.  First son was easy.  Throw him in a playpen and he was good.  This second one needs you attention every single second or he's screaming murder.  Draining the very life out of the wife and I.

IMG_1460.thumb.JPG.1c6c830313e53a23a1e101f33739d837.JPG
Wow you have my kids?!?!128dc8dde8811c200e9718e35f9518bd.jpged639833b80ff80d5c7ce4c23be48e55.jpg73001190e7bc012e69ac640c90a02ed5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve D said:

That is about the most brilliant thing I have heard in quite some time unless of course there are kids or other responsibilities that you have to pick up the slack for. If that is the case...shame on you.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:53 PM, crappyice said:

How about this dumbass move...I’m sending my wife to Ireland with her girlfriend from 10/31-11/8!!!!! Last year we killed three deer from the same tree during that week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"honey why are you dressed in full camo to take me to the airport?"    ........   "no reason, just the first thing I threw on".......  lol

Edited by Robhuntandfish

On 9/23/2018 at 9:03 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

Thought I was. Was going to shoot some broadheads finally last night. D loop is loose and twists thus making peep off. Still gotta wash my clothes and I'll be ready to have this archery thing a go   And buy a quiver

I have a quick attack quiver you can have if needed. 

Im never ready when id like to be since having children, Shot my bow, most cams are out. Washing clothes this week. Was supposed to go check stand straps Sunday, but got pretty sick with something. Just my luck. Wish i was used to it by now.. Ill stop a couple times quick this week after work and get my main stands checked at least. and setup a mock scrape if time permits.. My wife has only shot her bow once so far.. And she really only hunts the first few weeks while its warmer out.. 

We are never ready.. Life is just too busy working more than full time jobs and having 3 kids  from 12 yrs to 1yr old. 

13 hours ago, Elmo said:

IMG_1460.JPG

I feel your pain sir! Our first 2 were pretty simple, 1st more than the 2nd, but the 2nd wasnt bad.. not compared to third.. He doesnt sleep at night.. maybe an hour or 2 at a time if were lucky, and he literally is a tornado with every room he walks into(on a good day).. bad days, he needs your un divided attention every other second of the day.. Very tiring to say the least. 

He was less than 5 months last year, and I think i made it out 5 times all season.. 

• Like 1

"honey why are dressed in full camo to take me to the airport?"    ........   "no reason, just the first thing I threw on".......  lol

Kids are 14 & 13(2!of them) so they are a bit more independent than what others are discussing. To be 1000% honest, she deserves it and it was all arranged by her friend’s work before I was asked. I just said yes because it’s rare she says no to any of my antics.
I figure I will take advantage of the “summer” patterns in early Oct and wrap up my victory of the 2018 Contest by the 28th!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Not even close!! This is probably the furthest behind I've ever been? I haven't shot the bow in weeks,  I spent time moving tree stands off of property I can no longer hunt. I still have at least 3 stands to put up, hopefully I can get out this weekend. Went out of town last week to help my daughter so I lost another weekend. I will be going back in 3 weeks for probably a week. It's beginning to look like I'll probably be ready by crossbow season!  Oh I forgot, I have to finish siting in my crossbow and find broadheads for it. 

28 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Not even close!! This is probably the furthest behind I've ever been? I haven't shot the bow in weeks,  I spent time moving tree stands off of property I can no longer hunt. I still have at least 3 stands to put up, hopefully I can get out this weekend. Went out of town last week to help my daughter so I lost another weekend. I will be going back in 3 weeks for probably a week. It's beginning to look like I'll probably be ready by crossbow season!  Oh I forgot, I have to finish siting in my crossbow and find broadheads for it. 

Coming tonight?

• Like 1