The ATVers are back

goosifer

I had cellular trail cam on the cut through in the tree row along the back of my property. All winter, the orange fencing I had put across the opening was undisturbed. This Spring, the batteries died and I never went out to change them. Well, was out today working on tree stands. The camera is gone, ripped out of the security cage. The fencing is all down, and the path is so well worn it looks like it was mowed. My own fault for not changing the batteries in the camera. So now I am back to square one on how to keep the ATVers, and snowmobilers, from cutting through my land. New posted signs and cellular cameras will be put up, but now sure what to do about blocking the opening. Even if I am successful in blocking it off, they will likely just cut through the tree row somewhere else. I've considered cutting a few trees down in front of the opening, laying concrete block traffic barriers and guardrail curbing. Not sure what to do. Tire spikes [just kidding] would be nice, but then I run the risk of my treestands being vandalized, or worse. Open to ideas if anyone has any.

I had the same problem on my property in Maine last year. The local game warden called and told me he suspected illegal ATV activity and asked for my permission to put up a few cameras. Naturally, I said yes. They were caught and fined within two weeks.

Good luck. Hope you're able to catch and prosecute the trespassers.

Just now, eaglemountainman said:

I had the same problem on my property in Maine last year. The local game warden called and told me he suspected illegal ATV activity and asked for my permission to put up a few cameras. Naturally, I said yes. They were caught and fined within two weeks.

Good luck. Hope you're able to catch and prosecute the trespassers.

I am so envious,  that you own land in Maine.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

I bought it in 2005 and have yet to hunt it. Was supposed to last year, but 2 weeks before we were set to go, my buddies appendix burst. I've seen some huge beds while walking in the hay meadows. Hoping for next year....

What county if it is ok to ask?

I LOVE Piscataquis county, and Somerset county 

I'd cut some trees down over the access then put cameras up but have a camera that's hidden up in a tree facing the other.  I had a camera stolen by some trespassers last month so I replaced that one with a cheapie but put another up in a tree so I can catch them next time.  A local cop gave me the idea.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hinge cut a couple of trees and lay them across the trail. You might want to do the same down the hedgerow for a distance on either side of the trail. Mount your cell cams high (10 feet or more) and make sure you keep the batteries swapped out. Youre also going to need to get law enforcement involved.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 7:03 PM, goosifer said:

I had cellular trail cam on the cut through in the tree row along the back of my property. All winter, the orange fencing I had put across the opening was undisturbed. This Spring, the batteries died and I never went out to change them. Well, was out today working on tree stands. The camera is gone, ripped out of the security cage. The fencing is all down, and the path is so well worn it looks like it was mowed. My own fault for not changing the batteries in the camera. So now I am back to square one on how to keep the ATVers, and snowmobilers, from cutting through my land. New posted signs and cellular cameras will be put up, but now sure what to do about blocking the opening. Even if I am successful in blocking it off, they will likely just cut through the tree row somewhere else. I've considered cutting a few trees down in front of the opening, laying concrete block traffic barriers and guardrail curbing. Not sure what to do. Tire spikes [just kidding] would be nice, but then I run the risk of my treestands being vandalized, or worse. Open to ideas if anyone has any.

Follow them home and do a few born outs with your truck on   there front lawn 

For three years we had some law enforcement friends hunt with us. In exchange for the hunting privileges, year round, they were to arrest and harass all trespassers. Also my hunting partner and I became the biggest PR--KS you can imagine! Well, word got out! Nowhere near the problems we used to have. I was hunting the state land that borders ours last year, and ran into a couple guys. Asked them how they were doing, and if they had seen anything. They were quite friendly and said the only deer they saw was on the pr--ks property, and it's not worth the trouble to go there, was the response I got. I just smiled and said no it's not worth it, and those guys ARE pr--ks!!! Have a good day fella's. 

• Like 3

the idea of not blocking off the path because they'll just go somewhere else is like not locking your doors because they could just break a window. Make it hard on them at lest and if nothing else it sends a message. posted signs are viewed by some as just a suggestion. A big rock, chained off access road or a big tree send another message. One that will help your case when you do catch someone. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Hinge cut a couple of trees and lay them across the trail. You might want to do the same down the hedgerow for a distance on either side of the trail. Mount your cell cams high (10 feet or more) and make sure you keep the batteries swapped out. Youre also going to need to get law enforcement involved.

I think I have a bunch of ash trees that have ash borer. So those would be ideal to cut and lay alongside the property line. I need to ID them. I will mount the camera high, and I bought one with a solar panel built in.

• Like 1