The ATVers are back

goosifer

A guy in the area has a camp with a cabin on a seasonal road. He's got a big gate chained off, signs that say "posted and patrolled", and a big sign saying there's video surveillance and will prosecute trespassers. This is in addition to the 20 -30 posted signs every 50 feet across his frontage.

I never trespass and I'm intimidated by it just driving by!

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Belo said:

the idea of not blocking off the path because they'll just go somewhere else is like not locking your doors because they could just break a window. Make it hard on them at lest and if nothing else it sends a message. posted signs are viewed by some as just a suggestion. A big rock, chained off access road or a big tree send another message. One that will help your case when you do catch someone. 

I agree. I am building a section of fence across the opening to persuade them to take a different route. It is possible, and likely, unfortunately, they they will cut through somewhere else, but property rights need to be defended. 

• Like 2

UPDATE

Someone left me present sometime this past week. Someone took one of my 22" treestands, cut the ratchet straps, removed the stabilizer bar, and bent/wrapped the bottom of the ladder around the tree.

Funny thing is, this is not the treestand nearest the ATV cut-through. Last week when I was out working on getting the treestands ready I took the orange snow fence and a large tree branch and put them back across the cut-through. Could this have precipitated the vandalism to my treestand? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Today I put up fence posts in concrete. Next week I will screw in 2"x4"x16' pieces of wood across the opening. Then I will put up the cellular trail cam. I wanted to put it up today, but I left the lumber on the ground, and was worried someone could just take a piece of lumber and hit the trailcam up in the tree.

IMG_20181012_141726 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20181012_141843 - Copy.jpg

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I would be notifying the Sheriff's Dept . This is vandalism ! 

Yes, I did. I forgot to write that in my post. Given the circumstances, nothing they can do, but at least I have it on record in case things escalate, and or I do get pics of someone doing more damage.

Some years ago while hunting a state forest I ran into a posted property line.

The signs said something like:

Game Reserve

No trespassing for any purpose. Area under electronic surveillance.

Daily fee to hunt of $200 applies.

If caught trespassing you will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and sued for the daily fee of $200 plus triple damages.

Then the owners name and address were listed.

Needless to say I was careful to stay on the state land.

31 minutes ago, goosifer said:

UPDATE

Someone left me present sometime this past week. Someone took one of my 22" treestands, cut the ratchet straps, removed the stabilizer bar, and bent/wrapped the bottom of the ladder around the tree.

Funny thing is, this is not the treestand nearest the ATV cut-through. Last week when I was out working on getting the treestands ready I took the orange snow fence and a large tree branch and put them back across the cut-through. Could this have precipitated the vandalism to my treestand? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Today I put up fence posts in concrete. Next week I will screw in 2"x4"x16' pieces of wood across the opening. Then I will put up the cellular trail cam. I wanted to put it up today, but I left the lumber on the ground, and was worried someone could just take a piece of lumber and hit the trailcam up in the tree.

This would just piss me off to the point where I'd do anything I could do, legally, to get these bastids! It would be on! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

A guy in the area has a camp with a cabin on a seasonal road. He's got a big gate chained off, signs that saw "posted and patrolled", and a big sign saying there's video surveillance and will prosecute trespassers. This is in addition to the 20 -30 posted signs every 50 feet across his frontage.

I never trespass and I'm intimidated by it just driving by!

This could be me!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:43 PM, fasteddie said:

I would be notifying the Sheriff's Dept . This is vandalism ! 

not only vandalism, but when you tamper with something that could injure or kill, you're now at a whole new level. 

Get some cams out man. even cheap ones and put them all over.  You have some serious douchebags to deal with.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, J sin said:

I built some screw in camera mounts this year to elevate my trail cameras.   Helps to get them out of sight and a hell of a lot cheaper than the mounts that are sold elsewhere. 

9048B8A0-FBB9-4029-9D6A-A5D8E1C9DDCE.JPG

I started making mounts like that a couple of years ago. A few tips on them, use all stainless hardware, use wing nuts instead of regular ones, and a lock washer helps them not to slip.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:40 PM, goosifer said:

UPDATE

Time to call the Sheriff/NYSP

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 8:07 AM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Hinge cut a couple of trees and lay them across the trail. You might want to do the same down the hedgerow for a distance on either side of the trail. Mount your cell cams high (10 feet or more) and make sure you keep the batteries swapped out. Youre also going to need to get law enforcement involved.

personally if I was going to try and catch them on camera I would not cut the trees across. Like patterning a deer, let them use the trail they are sue to so you can get them on the camera If you move them to another spot who knows where to put the camera. I would make sure the posted signs are up and legal or you'll have to notify them in writing before the ticket will be issued.