Hunting Trip VS Fishing Trip

DirtTime

I only have a few minutes, But would like to see what you folks would do in my situation.

I finally talked the wife into going to a pretty remote area for a week next Summer for a week so I can get some fishing in.

Then today on the way home from our vacation she asked me if I would want to stick with the fishing trip to Taylor Pond, or spend a week at Camp Driftwood on Indian Lake for a bow hunting trip.

I know what my decision was, and is. But just curious what any of you would do.

So what so you? A week fishing or a week bow hunting?

Tough call...I love to fish, and don't have as much opportunity to as I used to. If the chance comes up to fish with friends, I am gone. Most of my hunting is done by myself, so I tend to do a lot more of it in season.  This time of year, fishing is great, I would probably opt for fishing.

We have done a lot of our trips to Indian lake. My former wife grew up there.

But our buddy trips up there we planned for the last weekend in sept when it was early bow season, early bear and fishing.   One year we even caught the last day of early goose season on the 25th, then a day of early bear and fishing on the 26th, and then bow on the 27th for early season.  It was pretty neat.  

Do a cast and blast!

And if going to Indian lake check out chimney mtn cabins on kings flow.  If you like bass fishing the lake is incredible.  Loaded with bass, very quiet and just beautiful.  Is on a dead end road in the town of Indian lake. One of my favorite spots to be. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Robhunt...

I had been up to and hiked Chimney several times...we had a great time exporing the little caves and passages that abound there. Each time I told myself I needed to come back with the wife for a week end at  the cabins.

You are motivating me.

Let me help with motivation then!  Me and a buddy caught 76 bass there in one day on the lake!  It's not always that good but always can get a limit.  And you can't fish it unless you camp there. 

It's def a neat place.  And the cabins are great and a good price.  

22 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

Anyway you can get both in...

Both is always best: morning hunt / afternoon fish, like this fine, warm mid-October stretch up in the north-west Adirondacks a few years ago.  There is a very good processor in Lowville (Nolts) where they can get your deer in the cooler right away so that you can enjoy the afternoon out on the water.   

doe.JPG.9eafda442596dd7660ee8a3d120f393f.JPG

s.JPG.a18cb251701098c8df8633db3c85b076.JPG

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

We have done a lot of our trips to Indian lake. My former wife grew up there.

But our buddy trips up there we planned for the last weekend in sept when it was early bow season, early bear and fishing.   One year we even caught the last day of early goose season on the 25th, then a day of early bear and fishing on the 26th, and then bow on the 27th for early season.  It was pretty neat.  

Do a cast and blast!

And if going to Indian lake check out chimney mtn cabins on kings flow.  If you like bass fishing the lake is incredible.  Loaded with bass, very quiet and just beautiful.  Is on a dead end road in the town of Indian lake. One of my favorite spots to be. 

We looked at Chimney a few years ago when we went up, no pets was the deal breaker. My dog goes on every camping trip be it a tent or a cabin. 

19 hours ago, grampy said:

Guess I'll ask, what would the Mrs prefer do do?

As for myself? I'd be happy and content to do either one. Or a combination of both, like others have said. Both places are beautiful. 

Go with what she chooses. There really is no bad choice here.

It's my decision, and I went with the hunting trip for two reasons. 1 being, she doesn't fish much so I don't think she would really enjoy the TP trip, nothing to do really but fish. That would also have been a mid to late June trip. 2 being, at least with the cabin she can take her laptop and a few movies to enjoy while I'm in the woods. She loves to read, and reads all the time, but I wanted an option for her.

7 hours ago, ny hunter said:

Anyway you can get both in...

Not at Taylor as that would be June trip, so no hunting.

Driftwood is the best option for both, but this will be a mid to late October trip.

The only downside is the only real scouting will be done with maps and no actual boots on the ground. I'm OK with that for a trip like this. It's a DIY from a cabin.

I appreciate the info, thank you all,  please keep any other insights or information you are willing to share coming.

So we set a date, late October,  20-25. Trying to use the DEC's "Future Seasons"  page  ( what a joke, NZ Regular season 44 consecutive days after Columbus Day? That would be well into November, regular season for the NZ has always been late October ), to see what will be open. Early Bow of course, then it also looks like the early ML will be running, and early bear.

Looks like I will be waiting for next years 'factual' seasons to be released to actually plan the hunting out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been looking at maps all day ( no wheels, so working on prep for deer camp next year ). I'm thinking most of my hunting will be done in the West Canada Lake Wilderness North of Lewey Lake.

Have to look at better light weight packs, nothing big, just better then what I have now. Just enough for a FA Kit, a few bottles of water, and a sandwich or 5 ( I get hungry, LOL ).

I thought about one of those actual pop-up blinds a while back, but realized that would be a waste of money, the added weight just wasn't something I wanted to haul. Doesn't matter whether I will carry a bow or a rifle, most of the trip will be more still hunting then sitting.

I have fished lewey lake a bunch and always wanted to go across the lake and hunt. By the creek that comes into it on the edge of the swampy area on the speculator side. Have heard a lot of turkeys in there in the spring. 

It's probably starting to freeze over now. 

Good luck, lots of area up there. Be careful.

42 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have fished lewey lake a bunch and always wanted to go across the lake and hunt. By the creek that comes into it on the edge of the swampy area on the speculator side. Have heard a lot of turkeys in there in the spring. 

It's probably starting to freeze over now. 

Good luck, lots of area up there. Be careful.

Thank you for looking out brother.

I am always careful in those areas. I am no expert, but sure not my first rodeo. I have a year to plan this out, and I am looking at every detail. I will not be hunting around any trails, or at least marked trails, so maps and a really good compass with be on me at all times. I am also refreshing myself on how to use them, at times we get complacent after hunting the same spot for years, but I'm not stupid, every bit of intel I can scout, every map I can get my hands on, is being utilized. I can't fully prepare for an injury, but I am trying. The same way I used too.

Just having some fun planning this trip at the same time. The wife's never been in any camp when I have eaten three bowls of chili, and three beers before. LOL!

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 1