New woods plot

Some pictures of a little woods plot I put in this summer.  I cut some firewood here over the winter.  I tried a new method (new to me) this time.  I scraped off the pine needles, sticks and little honeysuckle with the tractor and box scraper.  I spread a couple tractor buckets of lime-ash. Then I roughed it up with the 4 wheeler and chain harrows.  I was left with some exposed tree roots, so I went around and cut them by hand.  Broadcasted a mix of chicory and clover, with just a smidge of brassicas.  Then seeded some free rye over that.  I rolled it with a poly lawn roller behind the wheeler.  It rained a couple days later.

I was worried about acidic soil, lack of sunlight, and lack of moisture (it's on top of a hill).  I was pretty pleased with the outcome.  I think it's only 18yds x 40yds, but it's connected to a clover plot just down the hill.  The clover plot is just inside the woods next to the soybeans that I overseeded with brassicas.  The soybeans are screened by the broadcasted strip of corn.  Unfortunately, there is no shortage of feed for our local deer.  I see the same 3-5 does and that's about it.  I just keep trying to add things to make our 12 acres a deer destination.  Some day I hope to actually hunt here!

18 home plots (4).JPG

18newplot (2).JPG

18augNplot (8).JPG

• Like 3