Who says the Rem 7400 isn't accurate..

Sighted in my Remington 7400 today with new red dot from Primary Arms. After some research last night online, trying to figure out what gr. bullet might perform best, I found tons of negative comments about inaccuracy and operational problems. Well fortunately mine did well with both 165 and 180 grainers - most definitely minute of deer at 50 and 100 yds.27f1ebd8e79ee98083c8c5738e5e2c99.jpg018482e9f67788a1e3d1a4077c6a890a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Accuracy is something that is a very broad term. One mans accurate is another mans junk.

You say the gun is accurate and post a pic of two shots at least an inch from each other, that I’m going to assumed was shot at 50yds.

I have a half dozen semi Remington’s throughout their models and other than one 750 in 308 none of them are what I would consider accurate rifles but all but one “7400 in 280” shoot well enough to kill deer the lemon is about a 6” gun at 100yds, the 308 model 750 is an absolute tack driver that shoots sub 1” 100yd groups with factory ammo.

The bigger question is why the heck do you have the scope mounted so high?? With the straight comb on that stock there no way you’re getting any kind of cheek-weld with that scope mounted so high? Is that an AR mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I find it very interesting many Remington semi-auto center fire rifles suffer from poor accuracy issues, while the Remington pump action center fire rifles are generally considered to be very accurate rifles.  Considering there is little difference in the frames and barrels on the two rifles, it's weird.

I find it very interesting many Remington semi-auto center fire rifles suffer from poor accuracy issues, while the Remington pump action center fire rifles are generally considered to be very accurate rifles.  Considering there is little difference in the frames and barrels on the two rifles, it's weird.

I agree, other than the gas tube it’s the same barrel and frame. All the pumps I have I only have a few that aren’t better than 2moa guns with a couple doing better than that. The biggest downfall with both the autos and pumps are the horrific triggers. That being said I have messed up a lot of groups from bad triggers but I don’t think I have ever missed or wounded a deer because of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Back in '75, I was living for a while in El Paso right out of HS. I took second place in a 300 yard competition with my 742 shooting against guys with varmint barreled bolt guns wearing better glass. Now, maybe that was a group of sub par shooters that made me look good. I don't know. What I do know is that gun, wearing only a VX3 1.5-5 is capable of 3/4 to 1 inch groups at 100 yds.. I used to do it on occasion when my eyes were younger.

The trigger group is a little complicated, but I'm told by knowledgeable people at my range that they are very workable , and in the right hands, can be transformed to be much lighter and very clean breaking.'

These guns also get a bad rap for malfunctioning. Some guys call them Remington 742 Jam Masters. I've had mine since '72, my dad has his since '76. and neither has ever once hiccupped. We've always kept them clean and very, very lightly oiled.