Warning - Check Those Tow Ropes!!

Cabin Fever

Opening day last year, I hunted a stand that I've had in place for a couple years. As I started to lower my bow to the ground, the damn tow rope snapped! My bow crashed to the ground and I was horrified (and pissed :pardon:)! I checked everything over and shot it the next day, just to be sure. I just assumed the tow rope must have been damaged in some way, but didn't think anything more about it.

Yesterday, I remembered that one of my ladder stands still had the shooting rail installed, from gun season last year, so I went out to remove it. I wrapped the tow rope around the shooting rail and began lowering it down. When there was 1-2' left I the rope, I just let it fall the rest of the way. I was shocked to hear a "thud" and to see that the rope broke, especially considering how light the shooting rail is! WTF!? The rope appeared to be in good shape and visually didn't have any damage, so I was a bit puzzled. Out of curiosity, I "gently" tugged on the end of the rope and it pulled apart like I was pulling a cotton ball apart! I did this several times and it broke off/pulled apart every time like it was old/rotten fishing line! Apparently those tow ropes rot out after a couple of years of being left out 24/7 365 days per year! That's one of the things that I neglect to check each year, but you better believe I will from now on!

Just a word of advise, check those old tow ropes before entrusting them with your bow for the first time this year!

If you use a day pack , try using one that plays out of the water bottle compartment. Clip one end onto the drawstring and the other to your bow / gun. Then one line works for all stands , and isn’t exposed to,the weather .

• Like 2

dont leave rope and straps outside the sun damages them many times not visiably.. just think your ratchet straps fastening your stand to the tree can do the exact same thing. an people wonder why i put up and take down 30 plus stands a year...safety is main reason!!!

• Like 1

All of my stands are now low enough that I can hang the bow/gun on a hook near the base, from ground level.    In the years that I was up higher, I had a few tow ropes break like that, and it was always on ones that had been left out all year.  About 10 years ago, the one that I was lowering my bolt-action shotgun with, parted about 15 feet up.  The gun landed on the scope, breaking it off and shearing the # 10 base screws.   Those old Bushnell Banner scopes are pretty tough. I drilled out the # 10 thread holes in the base and re-tapped with 1/4", put in some bigger screws, and it has worked ok ever since.  The only trouble now is:  if I drop it like that again, the scope will probably get wrecked instead of just the screws.        

It's the UV light. I put up some sun sails on the back deck this year. They worked great but my wife wasn't 100% sold on the idea so I used rope. 3/16" braided from Lowes to hang them temporarily. I didn't want to spent the cash on the coated cable and crimps if she ended up not wanting the. 8 weeks in full sun the rope just fell apart.  

Lots easier to just carry 20' of paracord with a loop on one end and caribiner on the other.  Loop one end around your wrist and other on the bow.  Pull up when you finish climbing.  Those permanently attached tow ropes always seem to get blown around and stuck in places in the wind, not to mention the possible breakage.  IMHO.

• Like 2

i carry a 20 ft 1/4 in flat nylon 500lb rope in my quiver belt. it has a heavy wire onnthe end wrapped in electrical tape. it not only pulls up my bow but cannbe bent to snag things i drop. and drag deer as well as used as a grapple to pull limbs out of shooting lane. 

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Lots easier to just carry 20' of paracord with a loop on one end and caribiner on the other.  Loop one end around your wrist and other on the bow.  Pull up when you finish climbing.  Those permanently attached tow ropes always seem to get blown around and stuck in places in the wind, not to mention the possible breakage.  IMHO.

All you have to do is wrap the end around a tree step, branch etc after you unhook your bow or gun......it’s not going to blow around then.  Having one more thing to untangle/tie on/futz around with is just a distraction. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

All you have to do is wrap the end around a tree step, branch etc after you unhook your bow or gun......it’s not going to blow around then.  Having one more thing to untangle/tie on/futz around with is just a distraction. 

I loop mine around one of the steps on my ladder when I get down. Keeps it nice and handy and tangle free.