In case you run into a Big Furball

nobody

Black bears have only killed 61 people in North America since 1900   I bet almost every one of those were wounded bears and or stupid people, getting between cubs and sow. I believe only one case in NY   I love being in the woods and will take my chances with bears. I'm a lot more likely to be killed on the 11 minute drive home from work tonight in a car accident. I'll still be driving home

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

You started the thread, TwoSeventy.  I hike quite a bit so please explain why I need to carry bear spray as protection against black bears in the ADKs?  

Did you ever hang out on ADK High Peaks forum or the other ADK forum a few years ago?

There was a dude posted this same stupid thread every couple weeks, maybe even the same guy as this one.

There was some funny stuff posted in reply. 

53 minutes ago, TwoSeventy said:

Bye.

Wow, that was fast.  All I did was ask you, "Why?" and you folded like a cheap tent.  

By all means, if it makes YOU feel more comfortable, then carry bear spray.  In my experience, black bears are food scavengers and a nuisance, not human predators or threats.  Making a blanket advisory for all hikers and campers to carry bear spray sounds more like fear mongering than safety advice.  

33 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Did you ever hang out on ADK High Peaks forum or the other ADK forum a few years ago?

There was a dude posted this same stupid thread every couple weeks, maybe even the same guy as this one.

There was some funny stuff posted in reply. 

Yes, my user name there is JW1069.  The bear spray/bells threads are fairly entertaining.  lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

So, where can you buy bear mace? Is it legal to possess in NYS? With comrade Cuomo at the helm here I have to ask.

Rei  on West Henrietta rd carry’s it . 

Legal in NYS, pepper spray is too, but only in the “ key chain “ size . Since bear spray is for well bears and not people it’s good to,go .

REI has a nice sized one not super big Like so many , very handy for your home , in case of “ bears” .