Bill S2382-2011: Relates to the right to hunt, trap and fish

I just wrote State Senator Nozzolio. His name is one of the ones that appears on the bill and I live in his district. I thanked him for the proposal of this bill.

Today was the first I heard of this. Like I said, I stumbled across it. I only hope that there was enough chatter, hublub and support to get it signed.

Maybe we should write to our State Reps. and the DEC....Maybe it is not too late to get it passed.

In the long run I wonder what difference will it make if hunting is considered a "right" over a "privilege"?  Not like we won't have to pay for licenses, hunt within regulated seasons, follow bag limits, or have access to any land we want.  It won't earn hunters any more respect either, from those who don't want to give us any.  In my opinion I doubt anything will change for hunters with this legislation.

But if it becomes a right then hunting and fishing in NY will always be afforded to us. If it is a privilege, could we someday lose that privilege?

If the Right to Bear Arms (federal i know) was only a privilege, would we have our firearms today? Use freedom of speech as a example instead. If it were a privilege, could we speak without fear of repercussions?

I just wrote the DEC commissioner too. Just letting him know that I am in favor of this bill. It may not grant us anything more than what we already have but, it would ensure that we would always retain the right to hunt.

Steve, it's at least a nice middle finger to peta and the like, no? That's worth it to me.

Peta gets the middle finger from hunter even without such a law!  With all the BS Peta puts out, hunting is still alive and well in NY and every other state in the union.  In all truth, they have done JACK to stop hunting in this country.  States like the revenue they earn from hunting and won't put an end to it just because some looney tune animal saviors want hunting to be banned.  Will NEVER happen, but again some people think the sky is always falling.

Steve, it's at least a nice middle finger to peta and the like, no? That's worth it to me.

Peta gets the middle finger from hunter even without such a law!  With all the BS Peta puts out, hunting is still alive and well in NY and every other state in the union.  In all truth, they have done JACK to stop hunting in this country.  States like the revenue they earn from hunting and won't put an end to it just because some looney tune animal saviors want hunting to be banned.  Will NEVER happen, but again some people think the sky is always falling.

Steve, don't say will never happen. A privilege is something that can be taken away, they allow us to hunt. But a right means we can hunt regardless of what they want . I know there are restrictions, fees etc. but with a right they will never be able to take it away from us.

Dave

With all the BS Peta puts out, hunting is still alive and well in NY and every other state in the union.  In all truth, they have done JACK to stop hunting in this country. 

I think we often become a bit complacent on this point and sometimes bury our head in the sand about just what kinds of impacts the animal rights movement has really had on social attitudes toward hunting. Yes, some of the more extreme rantings and ravings are quickly dismissed by the general public, but a lot of the quieter persuasion in our schools, the media and other sources of influence continue to chip away at public support for consumptive outdoor activities. We think of all kinds of reasons why hunter numbers are on the decline, and most of them are true, but we seem to want to ignore that the biggest problem is that hunting just isn't "cool" anymore. It has lost favor among our youth, and is also being abandoned by more and more adults. I'm thinking that a lot of that cultural change is being driven by the decades old constant drumbeat of campaigns from the animal rights wackos and their millions of dollars that they spend on lawsuits and P.R. attacks on hunting, fishing and trapping. We can ignore all that if we want to, but that doesn't make those impacts go away. The point is that while they operate with a highly organized and financed front, we sit back an nit-pick our own advocacy groups to death. It has become a one sided argument with no one from our side with matching resources to push our arguments. Frankly, I will never down-play the threat that they pose to hunting.

• 3 weeks later...

In the long run I wonder what difference will it make if hunting is considered a "right" over a "privilege"?  Not like we won't have to pay for licenses, hunt within regulated seasons, follow bag limits, or have access to any land we want.  It won't earn hunters any more respect either, from those who don't want to give us any.  In my opinion I doubt anything will change for hunters with this legislation.

Read the bill. I like this part especially " AND  NO COUNTY, MUNICIPALITY OR POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THE STATE SHALL[/size][pre] REGULATE AN INCIDENT OF THE RIGHT TO HUNT, TRAP AND FISH." Here on long Island there are a lot of municipalities which in effect prohibit hunting by outlawing the discharge of firearms even over water. I am going to write letters of support to my representatives but I wonder if there is a way to get a petition started, maybe here?[/pre]

With all the BS Peta puts out, hunting is still alive and well in NY and every other state in the union.  In all truth, they have done JACK to stop hunting in this country. 

I think we often become a bit complacent on this point and sometimes bury our head in the sand about just what kinds of impacts the animal rights movement has really had on social attitudes toward hunting. Yes, some of the more extreme rantings and ravings are quickly dismissed by the general public, but a lot of the quieter persuasion in our schools, the media and other sources of influence continue to chip away at public support for consumptive outdoor activities. We think of all kinds of reasons why hunter numbers are on the decline, and most of them are true, but we seem to want to ignore that the biggest problem is that hunting just isn't "cool" anymore. It has lost favor among our youth, and is also being abandoned by more and more adults. I'm thinking that a lot of that cultural change is being driven by the decades old constant drumbeat of campaigns from the animal rights wackos and their millions of dollars that they spend on lawsuits and P.R. attacks on hunting, fishing and trapping. We can ignore all that if we want to, but that doesn't make those impacts go away. The point is that while they operate with a highly organized and financed front, we sit back an nit-pick our own advocacy groups to death. It has become a one sided argument with no one from our side with matching resources to push our arguments. Frankly, I will never down-play the threat that they pose to hunting.

so if you feel this way why on earth don't you support the recent youth hunting and crossbow groups in our state that are trying to get additional opportunities for hunters in our state to take part in. or are you just a desk fan sittin there making wind? once again you come up with all your usual reasons for why hunter numbers are declining in NY with no solutions to the problem at all, then when people try to do things that just might turn the tide on our problem you come up with a million and one reasons to why it just won't work, i just dont get you man?

i think your just happy as a pig in poop with the way things are right now, less hunters, less kids, more deer for you, and you spew your defeatist attitude in hope of keeping things just the way they are.

hunting numbers are declining in this state for the same reason this state can't keep it's graduating  young professionals....it's too expensive to live here and all the good paying jobs are in other states...when they are all leaving don't expect them to come back just to hunt...hunting opportunities is such a small part of such a large equation

Actually, declining hunter numbers is bigger than just a state problem ..... it is a national problem according to the stats. There really is a cultural shift that has more to do with the problem than anything that the DEC or hunter organizations can really have any effect on.

As I said in an earlier reply, the animal rights wackos have been taking their toll in this culture shift even though we may not want to admit it. Their constant whining and consistant organized messages have been having their impact on society over the decades. Yes, there are times when they appear a bit pathetic and looney and totally without credibility, but the general message plays on the emotional aspects of human relationship with animals. We understand that relationship in a bit of a more scientific way, but it is the emotional arguments that find the most sympathy with the general public.

That is what makes this bill more necessary. As we hunters, fishermen and trappers become a smaller and more disorganized force in the community, and as the effects of the anti forces continues to erode support for hunting, it really is a good idea to put the force of the law on the side for sportsmen.

Doc I agree with you...

my response was to SIT constructive criticism ::) .....and speaking of the NYS problem specifically.....In this state you can't just look at 1-2 bandaid solutions and think you're curing the illness....the problem goes far beyond Peta or more opportunities in the field...It's an exitus  of young and old from a state with rising costs and falling freedoms....This bill is a step forward to fend off further constraints...perhaps...but does not address the under lying and long existing cause to lower hunter #'s 

squatsinbushes- Not everything is about crossbows even though your diminished intellect seems to only be able to handle that one subject.

ohhh so now your okay with the additional youth hunting opportunities, or do you only use the crossbow debate thingy because you know you might have a couple of backers on that one. Doc your old, boring, and way out of date, your ideas on what hunting should be faded out decades ago. time for you to get on that horse and ride off into the sunset gramps...thats if you can even still get up on one ;D

If you're really going to control that anti-social problem that you have, you're going to start getting serious about consistantly taking your medications. Those people can't help you if you don't do what they tell you.