2018 fall Chestnut tree update

Few years ago I began a project to see if hybrid American Chestnut trees would fair well on the property. Located in 4b growing zone, 6k ny dec. The following year got off to a rocky start as the heavy snow took it's toll on the young trees. Well, these dunstans would come back from shoot growth. If they wouldn't give up neither would I. Here's a view on the progress / update. There's some stand, plot, cam pics in as well.

2018 Fall Chestnut Update aprox 7.5 min.

Can't seem to embed to video, hope the link will suffice. 

i have had good sucess with chestnuts mine were all 100% pure american . i now have over 80 pure and dunstan growing with many recently found squirrel planted seedlings as well.

my 3 best trees were dying from blight so i cut them down and had lumber made from them last year. its been all stick dried and now the fun can begin in building something from them. 

• Like 1

I am currently dismantling a couple big old barns that my great-great grandad built back in the 1880's, that were made from American chestnut.  (That was the most common wood in these parts back then).  I "wood" have liked to save them, but the roofs and foundations are shot. I am using some of the interior (grainery) wood, roofing and smaller hand-hewn posts and beams for interior walls in the new barn.  I am also trying to save the larger hand-hewn posts and beams, some of which I might use for a "log" style ground blind some day.   

A new metal pole-barn is several times less expensive than repairing and roofing those old structures.  The old, unpainted, weathered siding makes great cover around blinds and stands.  It blends in very good with the fall woods.  I fooled a 3-1/2 year old buck out of one last year, and a 2-1/2 the year prior, along with several mature does.   The deck on those stands are only 6-8 feet above the ground.   Those unfortunate deer had no clue what was hiding behind that old chestnut.  I suppose a little "evercalm" may have also helped a bit on the older buck last fall.       

Edited by wolc123

I have a question. In my travels I found a Chestnut tree and picked up the chestnuts. They have been sitting out for about a year on a window ledge, still in the husks.. Do you think I can still try to plant them? If so What is the best way to plant to get them to germinate?
They will need a stratification period. About 3 months in your fridge or cold garage perhaps should do it, in a bag or sealed plastic container with moist peat moss or equal medium.
After that any good ones should sprout. If they're a year old, I don't know half cold be moldy inside already. Then again what's there to loose. Check the container once in a while if you see mold clumps on any those are bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I would like to make one suggestion that may aid in the survival of your trees. Get a roll of 4' high welded wire and build 4' or 5' diameter cages to put around them. This will avoid any deer damage (eating or rubbing) and also provide support if the snow should begin to bend them over. You will find the prices pretty reasonable at stores like Tractor Supply. And a roll goes quite a ways. I do that with all of any fruit trees that I plant, and have never had any damage to any of them.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I have a question. In my travels I found a Chestnut tree and picked up the chestnuts. They have been sitting out for about a year on a window ledge, still in the husks.. Do you think I can still try to plant them? If so What is the best way to plant to get them to germinate?

1st if they were still in husks they prolly are mature and wont be able to germinate.. 

2nd how did you ever pick a chestnut hull..there are worse then most cactus. 

are you sure it was a chestnut and not a chinkapin? 

a few pics of a more mature chestnut..unfortunatly this tree caught the blight but managed to get 14 in in diameter before it succumed .it is now in process of becoming an elegant bartop./bar20160903_084349.thumb.jpg.565c2f6c082dc32d8761cdee2c81521c.jpg20160903_084353.thumb.jpg.c059143a08bb403b8c73eb87180584e4.jpg20160903_084400.thumb.jpg.2c8b406cc50ec96e107c4830941d537a.jpg

i highly recommend planting them they are forst prooof as they flower in july and you cant believe the game that stands under them waiting for the nuts to fall. and the nuts are as tasty as the best candy you can imagine.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

1st if they were still in husks they prolly are mature and wont be able to germinate.. 

2nd how did you ever pick a chestnut hull..there are worse then most cactus. 

are you sure it was a chestnut and not a chinkapin? 

I found them on the ground. I probably could have picked up a dozen or so. They had the long serrated leaf like a chestnut tree.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Those dunstans look great.  How long ago were they planted?  Thinking of adding some to my property.  Thanks.

The oldest ones were planted this year, they were just from 5 gal instead of 3 gal planters like the ones that recovered from shoot. Those were planted about 2 years ago.

Edited by Fantail

12 minutes ago, Fantail said:

G-man those were nice trees. Must have been a heartbreaker to see them get infected.

planted them from nuts were only 20 years old and produced bushels of nuts..i ate more than i should have.. but the squirrel seeded them all over have random trees many places now many are pure but last few years may of crossed with dunstans i planted . so i have many growing everywhere and because i cut them they have resprouted from stump and are 2 ft tall again in 2 years.. and flowered this year again.

• 2 months later...

This past fall, I came across a property with three American Chestnut (or hybrid) trees.  Most of the nuts had fallen and based on the squirrel activity, deer and bear droppings I could see why there was nothing but empty husks left on the ground.  I'm curious how to know for certain if these are edible even if they are hybrids.  Not being very familiar with them, I had to be careful handling them....  not an easy task.  

Here's a photo....... Reading about them had me more confused about identifying them and if they can be consumed.  I'd appreciate any help and hints about harvesting them.  The landowner told me I'm free to take whatever I want.  So far I really only collect Shagbark Hickory nuts and Black Walnuts.

IMG_20181013_193642458.jpg

Edited by Woodcock