Tractor Supply Bait for Deer

sits in trees

Many stores market this stuff under the guise of being sold for use in other states where baiting and feeding are legal. Of course we all, as well as the stores, know that it is being used illegally here. But the law does not make the sales of those products illegal, while the use in NYS is. It is your basic loophole that allows the illegal practice to flourish as long as you don't get caught.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I always thought it was odd that you could plant food plots but not just pile the food on the ground for them to eat.  You can't even rake apples on the ground into a pile.

Right wrong or indifferent, I believe the laws were written to minimize the exchange of saliva. It's more likely to happen at a feed station or pile than a food plot or AG field. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Right wrong or indifferent, I believe the laws were written to minimize the exchange of saliva. It's more likely to happen at a feed station or pile than a food plot or AG field. 

this is exactly the case. crops that are actively growing are browsed on and picked from, where a pile just sits for multiple deer to exchange their dna in. I do believe this is helping keep NY from having the CWD issues some other states have.

I think if baiting were legal I wouldn't do it anyhow, maybe a lick for a trail cam and that's it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That's the reason I was told also , we could argue that it's possible to exchange saliva off crops as well . Either way,I'm to lazy to do either .

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

That's the reason I was told also , we could argue that it's possible to exchange saliva off crops as well . Either way,I'm to lazy to do either .

not impossible no, just less likely as crops are spread out and living. Not dumped into a concentrated pile that rots which also promotes bacteria. 

• Like 2

As much as it hurt I had to run into dicks to get my dmp’s on my way back from leaving them a rather large present in the men’s room I came across this fella toting a hundred pounds of deer corn on his buggy.

I long ago stopped giving a crap what other people do but I don’t know if it takes a huge set of nuts to do this or just a total lack of give a F*ck to walk through a store flaunting to everyone that you’re cheating.7cd90ae3644267795c90a20748fb2e2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

main reason for not allowibg baiting and allowong food plots is 2 fold.

1st a bait pile/ feeder  is a fixed point at which deer come to and is their only choice.and maybe only available in day light. a food plot esp large ones allow 24/7 access to  it and can enter at any point and fed and be out of range.

2nd saliva and feces build up and are consumed with grain or mineral when trodden in as congregation causes a a feed site.  not as likely to happen in a field or plot.

another issue is bait is replentished where a small plot can be wiped out before season begins by use or enviromental conditions.

• Like 3

The amount of guys that openly admit to it and suggest how great the products work is amazing to me. Just had a guy Friday telling me about something be bought at tractor supply.

He shot a fantastic buck last year that now to me means nothing because i know he baits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I hesitate to post this because I don't want to start a war but I have to ask the question. When did hunting become about sitting over a pile of apples and corn or a food plot. I really don't care how anyone else decides to go about harvesting their deer. That's their business, and if it seems a bit unethical to me, or even illegal, I still don't care. Have at it, and enjoy yourself.

But, I wonder if these methods are all that those guys were ever exposed to as they were learning. Have they ever still hunted or followed a track in fresh snow applying woodsman skills learned, and felt the satisfaction of getting within range of a deer that is unaware of your presence? Or sitting in a little makeshift ground blind,with their back against a tree, at a natural pinch point or intersection of some major deer trails? Or the comradery of getting together with a few neighbors and friends and putting on some small dives on a Saturday or Sunday? 

There used to be a time, when a guy went hunting, his gear included his rifle and shells, a knife, a length of drag rope and a simple compass. Maybe there were a few candy bars or an apple in his coat pockets. The rest of his arsenal was in his brain. The memories and lessons learned from past experiences acquired over the years. It used to take a long time to be considered a good deer hunter. You had to pay dues and earn it. There were no shortcuts.

So, if a guy wants to plunk down his credit card and stare at a pile of apples, more power to 'em. If that's what they think makes a successful deer hunter, then great. I hope they pile em up them like cord wood. But there's so much to the experience that they're missin'. Me, I'm 62 now and crammed full of those lessons learned. I might even be on the back side of the curve, so I think I'm gonna keep doin'  it the old way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wooly said:

I see Wegmans is now also carrying corn, salt, apples, beans... as well as a grocery list of other FRESH deer baits and attractants!:nyam:

A good friend in Franklinville used to pick a backpack full of apples from his property the day before hunting. He'd sit in his stand and throw them at the ground to make a good thump that deer would naturally come to. Is that considered baiting?  His stand was right next to the old orchard. I'm thinking it was more about lazy deer who didn't want to pick apples off the trees but were waiting for them to drop. My property had a salt/mineral lick area in the woods when I bought it. The hunting part is only an acre so it's not like I had a lot of options to get away from that "baited area". Was I guilty of baiting if I hunted near it?